Litton & Cressbrook

cbeagleowner

Thanks Al! Hopefully I'll make some more progress over this week then when I go back to work the rate will slow massively! I know that it would have been served by the Rowsley - Millers Dale pick up - whatever target that was I can't remember.

I'm going to do some signalling research today before visiting a few kittens! I've found a very helpful site with I think all the LMS signal diagrams on it.

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/lmsdiagrams.htm

I can then use the old Scottish Library maps which have the signal posts indicated to work out which are where.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15.99&lat=53.2527&lon=-1.7607&layers=6&b=1

And of course, it's good to have a link to David Hey's E.R. Morten pics. As DH says - simply the best!

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page52.htm

• Like 2

Family has gone to Tesco...every little helps eh? re my signalling thoughts... Litton and Cressbrook would fall between the line controlled by Monsal Dale to the South, who's last signal was (in the 50's) a colour light between Cressbrook and Litton Tunnels. To the north the line was controlled by Millers Dale Lime sidings, located just to the South of the viaducts. I've copied out plans for both below.

Monsal Dale Signal Box

post-198-0-94452800-1546273115_thumb.jpeg

Millers Dale Lime Sidings Company Signal Box (Its proper name)

post-198-0-43899000-1546273131_thumb.jpeg

I have tried to translate these onto the 1897 OS map though I do have a  couple of questions. See the link below.

post-198-0-24309600-1546273227_thumb.png

If I were to try to signal Litton and Cressbrook, it's pretty much the same as pre-widening (PW) Millers Dale. I have also managed to find a signalling plan for that on a forum which I've drawn out.

post-198-0-87027900-1546273167_thumb.jpeg

The job would put to add that into my map controlled from Litton and Cressbrook signal box. If anyone has any thoughts please do give me a shout.

While doing this, I did begin to find myself thinking though what if I just used pre-widening Millers Dale as the layout and assumed it never got 4 tracked. It's not a terrible stretch of the imagination I suppose. It would also add the operational interest of having the Buxton shuttle and a lie-by too. and more interesting signalling. also there is a viaduct in pretty much the right place on the layout (though not a tunnel)

I might try that out in the loft today / tomorrow. The other option I thought of would be trying to do an 'expanded' Monsal Dale station. The viaduct, (though too small for Headstone would be in the right place so I might have a fiddle with that idea too as I take my eldest to Chesterfield later!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind comments! I’ll post some pics of the current work when I get home from the in laws.

‘Chard: Dave ‘MadMcCann’ smith nearly got me to model the Waverley as I could have nice scenery and NE Pacifics etc which was very appealing. However though I live on the GN and mum introduced me to Raised me on thnow the pull of home was too strong. And Rule 1 means still have a selection of NE motive power too though I try to have stuff that has some tie to the midland. To that end I thought I’d post something about the current loco fleet. Ive got most of it, though Still some stuff that I need to wait for as it’s not produced as yet or as with the SLW 24 Iissedot. I’ve put this as NYP.

Peak line stuff

1. Blue Pullman

2. Class 28 - late crest

3. Class 44 - late crest (NYP)

4. Class 24 - late crest (NYP)

5. 10001 LMS black

6. 10203 BR green grey roof

7. Derby Lightweight - early crest

8. Rebuilt Scot BR Green early - Green Howards - 20A

9. Unrebuilt Pat BR green early crest - Derbyshire Yeomanry - 45509

10. Rebuilt Patriot BR green late crest - Prestatyn - 45522

11. Britannia BR green late - Morning Star - 70021

12. Jubilee BR green early - drake needs changing to Madras 45575 - S4-R - 14B

13. Jubilee LMS black - LMS 1946 with BR number SFB - Canada 45553 - Fowler 9E (NYP)

14. Jubilee Experimental Green - 45604 SFB - Ceylon 20A S4-W (NYP)

15. Black 5 BR lined black early crest - 17A

16. Fairbairn tank lined black early crest

17. Ivatt 2MT late crest

19. Compound lined black late emblem 41157

20. Compound LMS crimson BR number on front 934 on cab in serif as per photo

21. Crab plain black BRITISH RAILWAYS (NYP)

22. Super D plain black early crest

24. 1F no cab BRITISH RAILWAYS (Rowsley shunter)

25. 1P 58072 lined black early emblem

26. 4F plain black late crest

27. 3F plain black - change to LMS serif with BR number in serif

28. 9F plain black late crest

29. WD plain black early crest

30. Robinson 04 plain black late crest (the one I have a pic of is an O4/8 but I have the original)

31. Jinty plain black late crest (kicking about at Rowsley)

32. Fowler tank BR late crest

33. 8F - 8510 Change to LMS on tender with BR number on cab as per photo.

34. Stanier Mogul riveted tender BRITISH RAILWAYS as per Hassop pic

35. Standard 4MT (4-6-0) - late crest lined black

36. B1 BR lined black early emblem

Stuff that’s been on the Midland at some point - I only have the pig so far!

1. Flying Pig double chimney plain black plain black 43001 in BR Gill Sans with 1946 LMS on tender. Bletchley shedplate

2. Clan 72009 Clan Stewart - BR early emblem seen at Kettering

3. L1 67769 / 40E or 67729 & 37 from Stratford As used on coal train trials

4. O1 as per steaming through Northamptonshire

5. V2 lined black early emblem as per Kettering

6. Garratt with LMS block style BR number

7. Princess Margaret Rose - overhauled at Derby when changed from blue to green.

8. Rebuilt Scot ‘royal Iniskilling fusiliers’ LMS 1946 with BRITISH RAILWAYS On tender.

9. 10201 BR black - work on trial at Derby

Stuff I like:

1. J50 BRITISH RAILWAYS black

2. A4 Sparrow Hawk BR Blue - did reach Millhouses but not until it was green

3. A3 BR Green early crest / 52B / Captain Cuttle (from Ladas)

5. B17 BR lined green early emblem - Hinchingbrooke - B17/2 until 1957 - it’s where my kids were born

6. K3 lined black - tender need changing from Early crest to BRITISH RAILWAYS - K3’s got to Chesterfield later on.

7. Coronation ‘city of Sheffield’ (NYP)

Stuff I like but doesn’t exist (yet)

1. Caprotti class 5 low running plate 44757 early crest

2. W1 BRITISH RAILWAYS Garter Blue

3. A1/1 BR blue early crest - Great Northern / NT tender spoked wheels

4. A2/1 BRITISH RAILWAYS apple green - Duke of Rothesay - could be BR apple green or early emblem

5. A2/2 BR early crest lined green - Cock O' the North

6. A2/3 BR early crest lined green - Ocean Swell / 117 boiler / NT tender

7. A4 woodcock BRITISH RAILWAYS experimental purple

8. 2F 58125 LMS serif on tender & LMS tender

9. Caprotti standard 5 late crest

10. 2P 40520 LMS serif 17A

11. 10100 BR early black

12. 10800 BR early green unlined

13. Princess Margaret Rose 46203 in BR early crest green

Great list - not sure about some of the locos mentioned but we do have a decent locomotive stud for our Club layout - Chapel en le Frith (Central)

As marked on your list:

Peak line stuff

1. Blue Pullman    Available

2. Class 28 - late crest   Available

3. Class 44 - late crest (NYP)  Available

4. Class 24 - late crest (NYP)  Available

5. 10001 LMS black  - Available in lined BR Green

6. 10203 BR green grey roof

7. Derby Lightweight - early crest  Available but not required

8. Rebuilt Scot BR Green early - Green Howards - 20A   - Available but the ones we have include The Middlesex Ragimant and not Green Howards

9. Unrebuilt Pat BR green early crest - Derbyshire Yeomanry – 45509 Available

10. Rebuilt Patriot BR green late crest - Prestatyn – 45522 Available

11. Britannia BR green late - Morning Star – 70021 4 Available but not Morning Star….

12. Jubilee BR green early - drake needs changing to Madras 45575 - S4-R - 14B  Lots available one about to be named Madras

13. Jubilee LMS black - LMS 1946 with BR number SFB - Canada 45553 - Fowler 9E (NYP)

14. Jubilee Experimental Green - 45604 SFB - Ceylon 20A S4-W (NYP)

15. Black 5 BR lined black early crest - 17A  Lots available

16. Fairbairn tank lined black early crest Available

17. Ivatt 2MT late crest  Available

19. Compound lined black late emblem 41157 Two available but not with this number yet

20. Compound LMS crimson BR number on front 934 on cab in serif as per photo

21. Crab plain black BRITISH RAILWAYS (NYP) 4 Available but NONE with BRITISH RAILWAYS

22. Super D plain black early crest  At least 2 available

24. 1F no cab BRITISH RAILWAYS (Rowsley shunter)   not required

25. 1P 58072 lined black early emblem  Available

26. 4F plain black late crest  6 Available

27. 3F plain black - change to LMS serif with BR number in serif  2 available

28. 9F plain black late crest At least 4 available

29. WD plain black early crest At least 2 available

30. Robinson 04 plain black late crest (the one I have a pic of is an O4/8 but I have the original) At least 2 available

31. Jinty plain black late crest (kicking about at Rowsley) not required

32. Fowler tank BR late crest  Available

33. 8F - 8510 Change to LMS on tender with BR number on cab as per photo.  Between 6 and 8 Available

34. Stanier Mogul riveted tender BRITISH RAILWAYS as per Hassop pic Available but NOT with BRITISH RAILWAYS

35. Standard 4MT (4-6-0) - late crest lined black At least 4 available

36. B1 BR lined black early emblem Available

Stuff that’s been on the Midland at some point - I only have the pig so far!

1. Flying Pig double chimney plain black plain black 43001 in BR Gill Sans with 1946 LMS on tender. Bletchley shedplate

2. Clan 72009 Clan Stewart - BR early emblem seen at Kettering3. L1 67769 / 40E or 67729 & 37 from Stratford As used on coal train trials Available

4. O1 as per steaming through Northamptonshire 

5. V2 lined black early emblem as per Kettering

6. Garratt with LMS block style BR number  - are you sure on this one

7. Princess Margaret Rose - overhauled at Derby when changed from blue to green. Available

8. Rebuilt Scot ‘royal Iniskilling fusiliers’ LMS 1946 with BRITISH RAILWAYS On tender. 

9. 10201 BR black - work on trial at Derby

Stuff I like but doesn’t exist (yet)

1. Caprotti class 5 low running plate 44757 early crest  Available ( we have 3 different Caprotti 5s)

2. W1 BRITISH RAILWAYS Garter Blue

3. A1/1 BR blue early crest - Great Northern / NT tender spoked wheels

4. A2/1 BRITISH RAILWAYS apple green - Duke of Rothesay - could be BR apple green or early emblem

5. A2/2 BR early crest lined green - Cock O' the North

6. A2/3 BR early crest lined green - Ocean Swell / 117 boiler / NT tender

7. A4 woodcock BRITISH RAILWAYS experimental purple 

8. 2F 58125 LMS serif on tender & LMS tender 

9. Caprotti standard 5 late crest Available

10. 2P 40520 LMS serif 17A

11. 10100 BR early black

12. 10800 BR early green unlined

13. Princess Margaret Rose 46203 in BR early crest green  Available

Some research shows some of the more common locos to be seen at Chapel... we are aiming to have these as kit built.modifed RTR as time permots.

Jubilees      

Number    Name                Photo Date         Shed                Tender 

45557      New Brunswick    1956         Kentish Town     stanier 4000 rivet

45561      Saskatchewan     1959         Kentish Town     stanier 4000 rivet

45563      Australia               1965         Warrington        stanier 4000 rivet

45575      Madras                 1960                                  stanier 4000 rivet

45579      Punjab                  1963        Burton/Derby     stanier 4000 rivet

45589      Gwalior                 1957        Holbeck             Fowler lo

45598      Basutoland           1964    

45612     Jamaica                 1958        Kentish Town     stanier 4000 rivet

45614     Leeward Islands    1959        Kentish Town     stanier 4000 rivet

45615     Malay Straits          1959       Kentish Town  

45616     Malta GC                1959       Nottingham        Fowler lo

45622     Nyasaland              1951       Trafford Park      Stanier 3500

45636     Uganda                  1959       Nottingham         Stanier 3500

45652     Hawke                    1954       Trafford Park      Stanier 3500

45689     Ajax                        1953       Trafford Park      stanier 4000 rivet

45694     Bellerepheron      

45705     Sea Horse              1965       Newton Heath    stanier 4000 rivet

45712     Victory                    1957       Trafford Park       Fowler lo

Britannias      

Number   Name                          Photo Date    Shed     

70004       William Shakespeare      1958      Trafford Park  

70014       Iron Duke                        1957       Trafford Park  

70015       Apollo                              1960       Trafford Park  

70017       Arrow                                              Trafford Park  

70021       Morning Star                   1958       Trafford Park  

70031       Byron                                             Trafford Park

70032       Tennyson                                       Trafford Park  

70033       Charles Dickens                            Trafford Park  

70042       Lord Roberts                   1958       Trafford Park  

70043       Lord Kitchener                                Trafford Park  

Royal Scots

Number   Name                          Photo Date    Shed  

46153     The Royal Dragoon          1959        Trafford Park

46129     Scottish Horse                  1962        Longsight  

46115      Scots Guardsman                            Longsight  

46140      Kings Royal Rifle Corps                   Longsight  

46142      The Yorkshire and

Lancashire Regt              1959         Longsight  

46149      The Middlesex

Regiment                                         Longsight  

46100      Royal Scot                       1959    

46154      The Hussar                      1959         Kentish Town  

46122      Royal Ulster Rifleman      1959         Trafford Park  

46110      Grenadier Guardsman      1958        14B                        

Unrebuilt Scot      

Number     Name        

Derbyshire Yeomanry                  

Rebuilt Patriot      

Number   Name                              Photo            Date Shed  

45522      Prestatyn                        1959              Camden              

Stanier 8F      

Number  Photo Date     Shed               Tender 

48045         1956       Northwich            Stanier

48119                         Mansfield            Stanier

48135         1962        Northwich           Stanier

48268         1956        Buxton                Stanier

48275         1955        Heaton Mersey   Stanier

48421         1959        Buxton                Stanier

48429         1958        Heaton Mersey   Stanier

48441                                                    Stanier

48585         1960         Speke Junction  Stanier

48605                                                     Fowler

48636         1962                                    Stanier

48717         1964         Northwich           Stanier

48743         1951         Speke Junction  Stanier  

Ivatt 4MT Mogul      

Number  Photo Date Shed  

43048         1965    

Baz
Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

While doing this, I did begin to find myself thinking though what if I just used pre-widening Millers Dale as the layout and assumed it never got 4 tracked. It's not a terrible stretch of the imagination I suppose. It would also add the operational interest of having the Buxton shuttle and a lie-by too. and more interesting signalling. also there is a viaduct in pretty much the right place on the layout (though not a tunnel)

That could be a great idea ... it will give you the full gamut of what actually happened in terms of operation/layout coupled to the what if scenario moving forward to your chosen period. There is nothing  to stop you bringing one of the tunnels into the scene as well?

Happy new year!

Happy new year to you too Tim! Hope all is well with the family.

Thanks Barry for all the info. We have similar book collections I think! It's inspired me to do a better list which I'll upload here a bit later. I also might well do a bit of virtual transporting in the peak and get the sightings. Sadly kits are beyond my skill set - I do like your Caprotti black 5 on Chapel - I love the whole layout!

• RMweb Gold

Evening ??? (cbo?),

Thanks for posting about the signalling - I have been asked to signal a layout by my nephew and was having difficulty with short block sections and the impact on operations. Thinking through your questions has given me some ideas.

Although I’m supposed to know about signalling, Midland practice is not something I’m too strong on so sometimes I have to interpret what is shown to understand how they did it. I’ve had a read through your Hassop thread so I can see that you understand the terminology: you also mentioned help from Beast which I assume was signalling related. I’ve found the Lime Sidings plan on SRS so can help with interpretation of that, but I haven’t found Millers Dale so I’m struggling a bit with your questions on that. So . . .

Coming from Monsal Dale, your first query is the banner signal: that is what it is, and from reading the reduced SRS plan I think it says A2/3 so that a train on the fast lines can open up as soon as the banner is sighted if the distant was ‘on’. The lower distant arms on 2/6 are puzzling me as they imply that what I would call the LS starting signals (3 and 6) are also the Station home signals. It may be that the signals are slotted by station box because of the very short block section. The note at the other end of the plan about underbolting is a reflection of something similar in the other direction which I have come across elsewhere: the distant for station box also acts as the distant for Lime Sidings.

Moving on to Millers Dale Station box. The D Hays photos link shows a bracketed colour light signal as you have said between the two tunnels. I can’t properly make out whether it is two or three aspect. Shame the smoke obscures the front view! Gut feel is that it is probably two aspect as you have on your copy. Your ‘what are these’ question is more difficult as I haven’t seen the original plan, but could they be track circuit identities? On the Lime Sidings plan, the dotted lines signify track circuits and the ‘TC nn’ are their identities. The three sets of symbols on the station plan fit with where I would find TC identities very plausible.

And finally, your proposals (I’m confused geographically so can’t say Up or Down - I’ll refer to box side and opposite side).

You have shown shunt signals for coming out of the opposite side sidings, you’ll need shunt signals for reversing in, for the slip crossover and into the box side sidings. Running signals on the box side with lower distants imply that they are controlled from another box, including from the bay platform. I think it would be very unusual to have a running signal applying to the bay platform and the adjacent siding so a separate shunt signal is needed.

My concerns over the final plan may just be because I don’t understand fully what the adjacent signalling arrangements are. Similarly if I’m being too simplistic, or too pedantic please say. Hope the above helps rather than confuses!

Paul.

Thanks Paul - call me Rich btw! No need to apologise either -  I'd like to get it as right as I can as I think I'm starting to work out that operation is the thing that I like the most. I'm not so au fait with signalling so it's great to actually learn! But I apologise if I ask a daft question below!

Thanks re the banner repeater. I guess that makes sense particular as I think (if memory serves correctly) that there is a short downhill into MD station so it would be a good place to floor it to gain some speed for the continuing gradient to PF.

Re the station diagrams:

Just for context here is the 1966 MD station

https://signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=898

Here is the pre widening diagram

https://signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=873

It seems from the latter that there was still a distant and home on one post before the widening and the splitting distant was added in its place. I wonder if you're right about the doubling up of the signals as the boxes were very close - 400 yards max I'd say from my little walk yesterday. Being honest I don't understand what a signal being 'slotted' means though. One thing I think I know (!!!) about the Midland is there were on 'home and distant' posts times where the homes were always set to danger and the distance were the only ones that moved. I guess to form either an 'yellow' or 'red'?

Thanks for the explanation of TC! That's what I thought they might be, but I guess they're not going to make much difference to a modeller (or are they?!). doing say if I'm wrong!

Thanks again for your help and your thoroughness! I look forward to hearing from you again!

Had a trip up to Millers Dale yesterday and took a good load of pics. Hope they are interesting!

First, some of the station building and environs. Two points of interest are what might be a signal base for the Buxton platform starter (???) and the large piece of rock in the trees which was the 'stop block' for the Bay run round loop - probably not a place to have a crash! The pic of the Lst face is the entrance to station quarry. The signal box would have been roughly opposite where i was standing.

post-198-0-64984700-1546518480_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-18350200-1546518511_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-37628500-1546518778_thumb.jpeg

Next some of the limestone faces. I think that painting Lst is a tricky thing as it looks different based on where it is, and how long it's been there. So I took a selection - I was surprised by the amount of red!

post-198-0-35746700-1546518671_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-27061400-1546518712_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-66867000-1546518741_thumb.jpeg

Third some pictures of the lime works and kilns - including inside. If anyone knows what the steel in the ground is, please do say - I've no idea!

post-198-0-81388700-1546518943_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-81388700-1546518943_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-83790000-1546518996_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-54538300-1546519021_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-15863000-1546519044_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-04921500-1546519065_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-74891100-1546519080_thumb.jpeg

Fourth, I'm building a 3 arch viaduct for the layout so Millers Dale Viaduct fits the bill nicely. Again a few surprises in that it' got a lot of white staining and also much brickwork or various types! It also seems that the piers are straight from the arch join, not angled. Though I may have that wrong. My hand shows that 4mm wood for the sides probably would work.

post-198-0-97911200-1546519143_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-45116600-1546519162_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-56936600-1546519208_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-72117900-1546519230_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-41416500-1546519512_thumb.jpeg

Fifth, I was taking pictures of brick and stone work for Peter Smith or Kirtley Models to make some PDF's - I'm not sure my kids thought I was cool, but hey-ho! If they are useful to you, please feel free to use!

post-198-0-82766200-1546516066_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-91459600-1546516770_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-00025300-1546517678_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-98151100-1546517741_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-77570700-1546517769_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-40755300-1546517785_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-89896300-1546519623_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-03628400-1546519635_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-77965000-1546519652_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-17808200-1546519688_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-18470000-1546519721_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-93239200-1546517709_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-29625300-1546518959_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Hi all

Did a little bit of bodging in the loft to see what old MD would look like in the loft. Seems to fit in ok though due to where the hillside is, what was north becomes south and vice versa. Fiddling has put a few random thoughts / questions in my head...If you have any thoughts do chip in with them!

Positives for changing

• More operational scope
  • More interesting signalling

Negatives about changing

• More points = more money
  • 3 way on the inside loop not being available in Bullhead is a headache.
  • Could it still be called Litton and Cressbrook bearing in mind if it was located where it was the bay would be facing south.
  • Less part of the real world.

Questions

• Does the up station starter have to be before the single slip?
  • Would it be possible to combine the Up (LH side) distant and home into one 3 aspect colour light signal
  • I'm puzzled by the signals on the diagram for the bay. The distant are kind of on there twice and I just don't understand!
  • Is the Down home on the Up starter post?

My thanks in advance!

Rich

post-198-0-63216200-1546637781_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-29805000-1546637794_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-59212500-1546637815_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-45107300-1546637835_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-66164600-1546637850_thumb.jpeg

post-198-0-51680100-1546637869_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi all

Did a little bit of bodging in the loft to see what old MD would look like in the loft. Seems to fit in ok though due to where the hillside is, what was north becomes south and vice versa. Fiddling has put a few random thoughts / questions in my head...If you have any thoughts do chip in with them!

Positives for changing

• More operational scope
  • More interesting signalling

Negatives about changing

• More points = more money
  • 3 way on the inside loop not being available in Bullhead is a headache.
  • Could it still be called Litton and Cressbrook bearing in mind if it was located where it was the bay would be facing south.
  • Less part of the real world.

Rich

As before ... no good on the questions I am afraid.

Really like the new station layout. ....

On the negatives .... I suspect over the medium term regret for not doing it might out-weigh the added expense of points?

As far as the 3 way is concerned have you ever considered having a bash at your own trackwork? For 00 I found http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/3422-eastwood-town-update/ by Gordon S pretty inspirational. Feel free to ignore if this is not your thing though ..... but it would allow real freedom with the track layout.

On the 'mirroring' front ... if you were to mirror the layout and landscape pretty faithfully ... then I would say the name stands and it would still be very much part of the real world in terms of inspiration.

Anyway ... that's my take for what it's worth.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rich,

This is a great idea. I love this area so much that I have devoted the past 5 years building my interpretation of Bakewell station and Monsall Head viaduct on my home layout (please see my RMweb blog)

I like the ideas of the rock formations over the tunnel entrances on your layout. They are very interesting structures too cut straight into the hills 

How big is your layout as you have some good length trains with accurate coach lengths?

Finally I think there is a great photo at the back of last Summer's steam Railway (Aug 2018?) which shows Oliver Cromwell  with a pre-15 guinea special in 1968.  The photo is taken from the top of the surrounding hills and shows the line as it was in 1968 and then 50 years later in 2018. If only the line was open again,  even better if it was heritage steam. Oh well, we can relive those days with our hobby!!

Best of luck with your project and I look forward to reading about your further progress in due course.

Rob Brooks

post-26417-0-72142600-1547980206_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

On the negatives .... I suspect over the medium term regret for not doing it might out-weigh the added expense of points?

As far as the 3 way is concerned have you ever considered having a bash at your own trackwork? For 00 I found http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/3422-eastwood-town-update/ by Gordon S pretty inspirational. Feel free to ignore if this is not your thing though ..... but it would allow real freedom with the track layout.

On the 'mirroring' front ... if you were to mirror the layout and landscape pretty faithfully ... then I would say the name stands and it would still be very much part of the real world in terms of inspiration.

Hi Rich,

On the subject of points, I agree that Peco don't do a Bullhead 3 way point at the moment but I know that SMP Marcway do ready made ones in finescale. You can always make your own but if that worries you, contact  Marc Weaver at Marcway in Sheffield and I am sure that they can help you. I made some of my own points from copper clad strip on my Bakewell layout but when I thought things were getting complicated such as making double slips, I used the Marcway ready made ones

• Like 1

HI Rob,

Thanks for the posts - sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. Thanks for the Marcway tip. That's useful. I'm trying to look through my books and see if I can see a trailing 3 way on a mainline - my instinct is that the Midland would have avoided them...I don't know why that's my instinct though!

I really love your picture - feel free to stick a few more on or a link to your blog. Lovely weathering too!

I'll write more when I get a chance - maybe later tonight!

Yours

Richard

HI Rob,

Thanks for the posts - sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. Thanks for the Marcway tip. That's useful. I'm trying to look through my books and see if I can see a trailing 3 way on a mainline - my instinct is that the Midland would have avoided them...I don't know why that's my instinct though!

I really love your picture - feel free to stick a few more on or a link to your blog. Lovely weathering too!

I'll write more when I get a chance - maybe later tonight!

Yours

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Not updated this for a while - well since I've been back at work after Christmas really. And not made much progress on the layout, only gone through the moment of wondering whether my track plan is any good at all and getting all flustered about it...I did however receive some nicely weathered wagons from Mr. David Smith so I thought you could see them here. They look a bit 'flatter' and darker here then in 'real life' funny how the old iPhone changes things.IMG_3144.jpeg.f610157ec6daa756336f0bcf45972128.jpegIMG_3143.jpeg.bd3f8b53d615082df4f3f0a6bec427e7.jpegIMG_3145.jpeg.7684bb3a0579a0ed211ff597f41262e6.jpegIMG_3146.jpeg.6169f100b1ac106092d34d98407148b2.jpegIMG_3148.jpeg.2b6d81adef7c82092e101af8ac4e3341.jpeg

• Like 3

I finally went in the loft while the kids were away at the grandparents and did some twiddling with the track layout as I wasn't satisfied with the way things were before. I think Lecorbusier you're right with adding the operational interest but I thought that if it were a station that had the Buxton Bay i would also need to be bigger to accommodate the expresses who drop their coaches there like the real Millers Dale. So to make the platforms bigger I've moved the station throat to the Left. If you have any thoughts, please let me know. I knocked up the drawing on a train journey yesterday, so apologies it's not great! Also we've got two new friends in the family! The ginger one seems to confuse the litter tray and the carpet though ;-)

IMG_3172.jpeg.065e367b953684809ea4ccbd32baf693.jpeg

IMG_3163.jpeg.08d0210b2add23feaa674cd2f74f405a.jpeg

57221396232__01D64528-A3E3-4F0E-BD06-8C272BC876F2.jpeg.ed6bcf8a8f0723ba8fc62682caf92a5b.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 31/12/2018 at 16:21, cbeagleowner said:

Litton and Cressbrook would fall between the line controlled by Monsal Dale to the South, who's last signal was (in the 50's) a colour light between Cressbrook and Litton Tunnels

I've  enjoyed reading this thread as I'm currently contemplating layout plans centred on the short shelf between the Litton/Cressbrook tunnel portals - does anybody know what this 3 aspect signal protected, was it the loop at Monsal Dale station? I've been trying to confirm as I'd like to include the signal (and properly understand its purpose before I do!)