The 6th Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Day – Saturday March 9th 2019

Leander

The 6th Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Day – Saturday March 9th 2019

We are pleased to announce that the EM Gauge Society and the Scalefour Society are holding in March 2019 another Skills Day event. This is the first one to take place in Scotland and builds on the successful formula of an informal, informative gathering of modellers.  As in previous years, the EMGS involvement is again being funded by the bequest of Chris Kedgley, former Chairman of the EM Gauge Society and active member of the Scalefour Society who passed away in June 2013.   

Linlithgow is an attractive historic town on the Lochside, almost midway between Glasgow and Edinburgh, with good access from all directions. The M9 serves the town. Four electric trains an hour run from Edinburgh, two an hour from Glasgow.  The Low Port centre is across the road from the station. Even in March, for a weekend break the area has much to offer, from Linlithgow Palace, the three Forth Bridges and the Kelpies to the Falkirk Wheel, not to mention the convenient cities of Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stirling. 

As ever, the emphasis will be on showing and telling. So, the Skills Day 2019 in Linlithgow will feature a dozen experienced modellers demonstrating a wide range of skills together with innovative ideas and four layouts will show some of these in practice.

Date: Saturday March 9th 2019

Location: Low Port Centre, 1 Blackness Road, Linlithgow, West Lothian, EH49 7HZ
Web: https://activewestlothian.com/active-outdoors/low-port-centre

Opening Times:          10.00am to 4.30pm

Cost:                Entry is free, but donations are encouraged.

Catering:         Teas and coffees will be available. For lunch, a wide variety of hostelries and cafes is close at hand.  

Demonstrations mix innovative techniques with new slants on established skills, and will cover: innovative turntable operation, mechatronics (the integration of electronics and mechanisms), loco chassis construction, ‘stay-alive’ enhancements for DCC locos, modelling rock formations, weathering stone and other materials, controlling servo points, plastic card modelling with the Silhouette cutter, 3D printing, carriage lighting.

Layouts:

• Wharfeside (EM) – layout under construction. See how the baseboards and track were built, as well as CSB chassis locos performing their magic.
  • United Mills (P4) – a finished small scenic layout, which welcomes visiting locomotives
  • Kettlewell (P4) – a scenic model with prototypical operation in two eras, featuring an innovative fiddle yard and mechanical interlocking of turnouts and signals 
  • Cadhay Sidings (P4) – part of this Southern Railway layout which demonstrates the use of digital systems for realistic block instruments and realistic signalling.
  • Castle Caereinion (009) – a different gauge illustrating scenic techniques

Disabled access: available

Accommodation:  A wide variety at all price ranges is available. If researching on the web, look for the adjacent Falkirk as well as Linlithgow, or Queensferry on the River Forth. 

This event is being organised by the various area groups in Scotland and the Borders of the EM Gauge Society and the Scalefour Society www.emgs.org and www.scalefour.org

Contact: Dave Franks Tel: 01698 821272, Email: davefranksemgs@aol.com

Edited by Leander

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2019 at 01:09, Porcy Mane said:

Did you know?

Linlithgow is home to some rather splendid Revo (of Tipton) cast iron lamposts.

Porcy's Orthogonal Facts: Number 236.

P

...and Linlithgow Palace...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linlithgow_Palace

...and just up the road from Bo'ness...https://www.bkrailway.co.uk/

...and the museum of Scottish railways...https://www.bkrailway.co.uk/your-visit/museum/

...all it needs now is an ale trai...no wait a minute it even has one of those...https://linlithgow.info/visit-linlithgow/heritage-trails/380-linlithgow-ale-trail-map

...we should go for the day Uncle Poursea...

36 minutes ago, Axlebox said:

...we should go for the day Uncle Poursea...

... sounds like a plan. Lets get the triumvirate together and have a raiding party.

Maybe we should take the Depot along & gatecrash? They'll never notice. Possibly get the star operator along, after all, she's just up the road and that'll give us time to go off and invade a few pubs and eating establishments.

I'll bring the magumba box so we can run Crock Croft in techno mode.

Up the Reivers.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Funny 2

Okay guys you're invited to bring Croft Depot along, at least that would save all the good Scots lassies from your attentions.

Its been added to the latest programme so you better be there.

Skills Day at the Low Port Centre, Linlithgow

Saturday 9th March 2019         1000 – 1630 hours

A variety of evolving techniques will be a keynote of the Skills Day at Linlithgow, being staged by the EM Gauge Society and the Scalefour Society in memory of Chris Kedgley, a man devoted to spreading skills and fellowship among modellers.

Layouts on show may not all be finished (is a model railway ever finished?), but their owners will be able to discuss problems, solutions and, particularly, new ideas which they have devised.

Wharfeside (EM)

is an example of a part-built layout, laying emphasis on trackwork, and the virtues of CSB springing of locomotives, Dave Franks being an acknowledged exponent in both.

United Mills (P4)

is however pretty well complete and illustrates what can be achieved with a compact, easily portable layout, like winning first prize at ModelRail 2019 in Glasgow last week. Smaller industrial locomotives are at home here, but Ray Nolton can be persuaded to give access rights to (12v dc P4) locomotives which you may bring along.

Kettlewell (P4)

has also come to fruition and offers prototypical operation in a fine Midland environment. The interlocking of track and signals is of particular interest, and John Stocks is organised to make clear how he achieved it. You might also care to quiz him on his multi-function fiddle yard.

Castle Caereinion (009 but with an EM philosophy)

brings some welcome Welshness to Scotland. With this compact layout Martyn Harrison shows how a piece of history can be captured for posterity.

Cadhay Sidings (P4)

brings the Southern Railway to Scotland. The whole of this scenic layout will be on display, in order for Chris Gough to demonstrate how digital systems enhance his operations by means of realistic block instruments, realistic signalling, and now train describers.

Croft (P4)

depicts the terminus of the Stockton and Darlington Railway’s Croft branch but set in 1954 giving scope for pre-grouping and more modern wagons.  Duncan Wilcock regarded this as very much a ‘test piece’ with a fair number of lessons learnt along the way. The aim was to build a realistic landscape with a railway line cutting through it at the same time as being instantly recognisably North Eastern . . . all within a 3 x 1 ft. box, limited finances and experience.

Demonstrators are at the heart of Skills Days, and we have quite a few, all with stimulating ideas. We might even have created a centre of excellence on turntable operation.

Fergus Duncan/Lindsay Galloway            

Arduinos and turntables

James Batchelor               Mechatronics.

The integration of electronics and mechanisms

Colin Stevenson                               Electronic turntable control

Electric lighting in carriages

Bob Hetherington            Variations in steam loco chassis construction, lathework

Allan Goodwillie               The weathering of buildings of differing materials

Ian Norman                        Using the Silhouette cutter to produce Edinburgh Princes St., no less

John Crompton                 3D Printing of this and that

Tony Hagon                        Wireless control; lever frame interlocking   

Peter Heald                        Servo points using the Mega points system

Nigel Cliffe                          Stay-alive modules for DCC in small locomotives

Ian Terrell                            Use of CAD in designing etches

David Elvy                            Examples of what etching can produce

And just to save any embarassment, mine, there are only two boards of Wharfeside on show and not as assumed by some commentators the whole layout,    that might come next time. See the picture of the BR Clan above.

Dave Franks

Edited by davefrk
Getting it right.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davefrk said:

Okay guys you're invited to bring Croft Depot along, at least that would save all the good Scots lassies from your attentions.

Its been added to the latest programme so you better be there.

England's cultural attaché to Scotland (based in Glasgow) is already booked as an operator and shall be making her way to Linlithgow by train come Saturday.

With a bit of luck she shall have gone above & beyond the call of duty and scouted out the more salubrious hostelries of the district prior to Saturday.

Any good cheese shops inthe area?

P

• Like 1

Hi Porcy, I don't know about now but tissaid the good Queen Mary (of Scots) used to saunter oot fra the palace of a morning and avail hersell of the cheese shop in the main street but whether it's still there today I dina ken.

Dave fra Glaschu.

Looking for ta seeing ye all at the Low Port.

1 hour ago, Axlebox said:

...Platform 3 up by the station

and just down from a fine set of Revo's. Looks a bit pretentious to my eyes.

Now if there was somwhere local that had a good stock of genuine Tormore, I just might have to break my abstention rule. 

Edited by Porcy Mane

32 minutes ago, 26power said:

Bad timing, railway and museum don’t open until 23/03!

We have something of a reputation for blagging our way into closed establishments and cadging the odd foot plate ride.

"Can a cab ya mister"? 

19 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

We have something of a reputation for blagging our way into closed establishments and cadging the odd foot plate ride.

"Can a cab ya mister"? 

...and weirdly you're always distantly related to the bloke on the gate, or hes lived in the same village as you...or both...

...thats quite an eclectic line up of demonstrators, I predict Mr Poursea will spend the whole day talking...

12 minutes ago, Axlebox said:

I predict Mr Poursea will spend the whole day talking...

Keep your predilections to yourself. That just nose dived the predicted attendance figures!

1 hour ago, pete55 said:

Wish I could join you, but enjoy yourselves lads!

If you can get to my house for 5.00 am you're welcome to a lift. Just a slight detour on the way North to swap cars and pick up a layout. Should be In Berwick for sun up and Phllynphllyphglow for a sunny side up.

Now remind me; what part of Wales are we heading for?

P

On 09/03/2019 at 22:15, Leander said:

Hope the day went well chaps.

It looked well attended and the impression I got was that most/all thought it was a great thing having a finescale event north of the border.  I only had an hour or so there, half of which with a splitting headache, but it was well worth the journey.

Many thanks to all involved, let's hope something similar might be run again in the future.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I must agree with Jamie’s final sentence. 

As one of the demonstrators, I reckon I spent less than 30minutes over the event not talking to people, and 90% of the information cards I’d printed were taken by (hopefully) enthused modellers. I know the other demonstrators were similarly busy.

From my perspective, a thoroughly enjoyable and successful event.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 09/03/2019 at 06:52, davefrk said:

Porcy's so excited.   :lol:

You bet. What a grand day. Unfortunately I'm so shagged out with fingers hardly doing anything I command them to do, that's all I can say at the moment.

Mr A Box will be along shortly, to talk about other things but mainly about the Triumvirates (pluss Jess) big hearted person of the day award.

P