Problem with a Heljan DP2

Stormbringer

Hi all, last night for the first time I put my all over green DP2 on a layout to find that there was something seriously wrong somewhere. Having seemed ok on a rolling road , last night it would barely move and opening the controller up would make the motor run faster but this wasn't being sent down to the wheels. Also having removed the fuel tank and the screws underneath I still can't get the body off. I have some folded bits of paper that I hope have covered the lugs(?) but still the body doesn't want to come off.

Does anyone (a) have any pics of one with the body off? and (b) any idea what the problem might be? The loco was purchased second hand.

TIA

Pete

Edited by Stormbringer

Your fault description says 'no drive to one bogie'. That's usually the plastic drive coupler seated in a flywheel slipping. The result on track is that bogie still getting drive struggles to move the bogie on which the wheels will not turn. Easy to fix once inside, with a dab of cyano to resecure the drive coupler in the flywheel.

No experience with this particular model, but Heljan's body shells are often on very tight at first removal attempt, you simply have to keep working away at peeling the body side away from the cast block and holding it off with slices of old credit card. Haven't broken one doing this  - yet...

• Like 1

I would tend toward the motor removal route, as the bogie release is a modern clip together version of the old 'Chinese puzzle' games once so popular at this time of year. On the basis of two experiences with other models from their range, the rubber cushions mentioned by SRman can be gently prised up, each side a millimetre in turn, to get the motor out. (Reassembly is a lot quicker and easier you will be glad to know.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, JSpencer said:

Make sure the motor is perfectly in the middle, if it is slightly forwards or slightly to the back, one shaft will keep popping out continuously.

That was exactly what the problem was. A little bit of alignment and DP2 is running nicely on the rolling road. Thank you.

Pete

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Well that's progress, and good to read. The acid test is operation on a layout however, and small radius curves in particular, as these act to increase distance between the flywheel and worm, in addition to slight fore and aft movement of the bogie assembly relative to the motor assembly.

Hopefully tomorrow evening.

Pete