Forum malware attack - 29 Dec 2018

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to do with the Russians, this is clearly the Beeching virus, dedicated to closing down railway sites. 

Well defeated Andy. 

But these were superseded by the 'Marples' and "serpels' both defeated after a lot of public money were thrown at them.

He has been a particularly busy boy lately, it seems, with extra input required for the January BRM, so might have been hoping for a quiet festive season.

Pah, the clocks hadn't even gone back when January was on the go! At the moment it's a case of sorting stuff for the Spring issue which will include a feature on the GMRC Missenden layout, finalising the entry list for the BMRA voting which opens on the 1st, tidying up the content relating to Hornby's announcements on the 7th plus the big task of the forum software upgrade which this incident has brought to more urgent prominence.

In a status update I'd posted "When it first happens it's like being dropped on featureless moorland in the fog with a pair of headphones on blasting a speech by Ian Paisley into you ears. You've no idea where you are, which way is best to go with the distraction of whether to respond to anyone saying they've got a problem. You start feeling your way through the fog until you can find some landmarks to navigate by, refer to your maps and find your way back home."

It's all perfectly logical in hindsight but historical evidence shows that the Christmas break is a time when things can and do go wrong so although time off is booked there isn't an option of waiting until Wednesday; the priority was to reduce risks for users but the guilt of frustrated users wanting their fix pushes you on to seek a solution (plus personal pride). I must admit though I slept well last night and didn't have to look at the site as soon as I woke to see if any spats had broken out etc.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Can only echo whats already been said Andy - many thanks for your efforts and getting things back so quickly.Hope you can have some peace the rest of this weekend.

As several others have mentioned the hiatus on here has meant some modelling has been done - twistlocks installed on 6 out of 10 Bacchy freighliners for starters. MSE signals are still at the bottom of the pile though....

Phil

• Like 3

Well done - Andy - for all you efforts!  

I am sure I speak for many who realise just how much RMweb is part of our everyday lives - a bit like water and electricity.  And when it is not there.....................  Just glad you are back!! 

• RMweb Premium

I too would like to thank Andy for his quick response.

While I am at it I think a geography and history lesson is required. Ukraine where this attack seems to have originated has been an independent state from the the Russian Empire since 1918. It was a  member state of the USSR but if you recall in December 1991 it left the USSR. Russia and the Ukraine are not the same country.

• RMweb Gold

Apparently, any future incursions by hackers will automatically default to the PECO Bullhead points thread.

That should bu@@er Ivan Twistyerknackersov up.......

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I too would like to thank Andy for his quick response.

While I am at it I think a geography and history lesson is required. Ukraine where this attack seems to have originated has been an independent state from the the Russian Empire since 1918. It was a  member state of the USSR but if you recall in December 1991 it left the USSR. Russia and the Ukraine are not the same country.

More chickens in the Ukraine.....especially around Kiev.

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant service Andy. I’m sure you could have done without that on a Saturday /Sunday between Christmas and New Year when most of us are still in celebration mode. All this on a free forum too. Well done!

Took advantage and managed to get the springy chassis done for a Midland tender to go behind a Bachmann 3F. The 3F also has a Bill Bedford CSB sprung chassis which is nearing completion and the Lanarkshire Models coupling rods are now soldered up and awaiting finishing and fitting.

Need to stay off the internet to get the thing finished for the EMGS/S4 'do' in Linlithgow in March...

Dave.

P.S. Well done Andy, what would we do without you?

• Like 3

Guest Lyonesse

Brilliant service Andy. I’m sure you could have done without that on a Saturday /Sunday between Christmas and New Year when most of us are still in celebration mode. All this on a free forum too. Well done!

Add in my thanks, too.

• RMweb Premium

A certain Mr Putin may disagree and is already checking to see if you've a Cathedral near you......

The internationally famous Lincoln Cathedral, with a 160m spire according to wikipedia.

• Like 3

Took advantage and managed to get the springy chassis done for a Midland tender to go behind a Bachmann 3F. The 3F also has a Bill Bedford CSB sprung chassis which is nearing completion and the Lanarkshire Models coupling rods are now soldered up and awaiting finishing and fitting.

Need to stay off the internet to get the thing finished for the EMGS/S4 'do' in Linlithgow in March...

Dave.

P.S. Well done Andy, what would we do without you?

Am I right in thinking that from Dave F's posting (and the comments of other postings) that more modelling would done if RMWeb continued to be off line? Personally I find RMweb a good reason to put off all those modelling tasks.  It is only the pressing deadlines of exhibitions which focus my modelling mind. (AM) 

Just run the malwarebytes free trial and it quaranteened 142 threats for me, nothing earth shatteringly dangerous, but nice to know I'm cleaned up for a bit

That's a lot of cr*p gone off of your computer and is more items than I had ever seen located in one go. Malwarebytes is a very useful piece of gear!

John

• Like 1

I got the Microsoft critical alert page, now in bother with the Mrs as she thinks I've been looking at pages that I shouldn't.......  :sungum:

Oh well, nowt new there, I'm always in the doghouse for sommat!

Joking apart, nice work to get it sorted so swiftly...….

Finds things that McAfee doesn't, is not a resource hog and its malware database is sometimes updated multiple times a day.

John

Plus if you decide that Malwarebyte's not for you, it removes simply and cleanly.  When you realise what McAfee is costing you and you decide to uninstall it, you'll have your work cut out ...

I echo what others have said in support of Malwarebytes, and heartily agree Andy's endorsement of it. Its the only piece of freeware AV software that has ever worked for me, and boy does it work! Very useful.

If you really feel a need to spend money for an annual subscription for a payware AV suite I recommend ESET NOD32 which has also saved my bacon a few times and is very good at blocking suspicious or malicious websites while browsing. I noticed it was blocking a number of suspicious domains yesterday morning and wondered why RMWeb was talking to or being talked to by such sites. Nothing popped up on my screen, ESET killed it all before it reached my computer. Recommended.

I got the Microsoft critical alert page, now in bother with the Mrs as she thinks I've been looking at pages that I shouldn't.......  :sungum:

Oh well, nowt new there, I'm always in the doghouse for sommat!

Joking apart, nice work to get it sorted so swiftly...….

I got one of those as well. 

Closed it immediately and ran a full scan and nothing came up.

Jason