89001 possibly returning to service

TravisM

One problem with the LNWR services to Birmingham via Northampton is that they seem to sit in Northampton for ages. A couple of times I used the service when I had to go to Coventry regularly and it felt more like a Birmingham - Northampton service and a Northampton - London service with connecting passengers allowed to remain on board at Northampton between each service.

I think some of that is pathing, as those used to be split services from London to Northampton and Birmingham to Northampton. When they were joined I thought they continued to run in the same paths either side, so there was a bit of a wait.

Could be wrong though.

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago, I atttended a Barrow Hill Open Day and had the priviledge of seeing the interior of 89001. I was immediately struck by the amount of condensation corrosion on all the control circuit boards! I was told that electric locos are not completely watertight and that in normal service the inside usually stayed warm enough to avoid condensation but being out of use outdoors for a long time causes this.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Rumours around the 89 occur regularly on forums and especially whenever restoration work hits a milestone despite repeated statements from AC Loco Group that they are simply aiming to restore to working order before assessing cost and viability of any add in work that may be necessary to go Mainline. Given the 89 doesn’t (?) have TPWS, OTMR or GSM-R, bespoke designs may be needed. There is also the looming issue of ETCS on the southern ECML.

No TPWS on it (although I note the question mark)? That surprises me considering when it was last in service.

• RMweb Gold

No TPWS on it (although I note the question mark)? That surprises me considering when it was last in service.

Maybe TPWS got decommed and removed? If so, would it have to go through a recertification process, even if it's been fitted previously?

• RMweb Premium

Use the corridor connections as a conduit for the cables (joke)

Not such a joke...

The offending cables on a GWR 800:-

gallery_5674_4526_5023169.jpg

On the latest Italian equivalents (ETR400s) the corridor connections are outside the cables https://www.alamy.com/business-and-executive-class-doors-into-italian-railways-frecciarossa-1000-etr-400-400kph-high-speed-trains-image180805355.html

Edited by brushman47544

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow! What a great achievement. So what's the plans for The Badger? As has been said, going mainline is expensive, given all the gadgets now required, but as there's nowhere it can run 'in anger' otherwise, then it must be a given that that's the aim.

Mark

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, MarkC said:

Wow! What a great achievement. So what's the plans for The Badger? As has been said, going mainline is expensive, given all the gadgets now required, but as there's nowhere it can run 'in anger' otherwise, then it must be a given that that's the aim.

Mark

Nothing has been announced as far as I know.  However it seems to me unlikely you'd spend the considerable amounts of effort and money required to overhaul all the electrics and largely obsolete 1980s vintage electronics if you weren't reasonably confident of being able to run it on the mainline at some point.  Indeed I read somewhere that part of the traction motor control electronics have been upgraded to a new design so that to me shows serious intent.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 7 months later...