K's GWR 63xx - New P4 chassis options, suggestions

Jeff Smith

I have mentioned this on other threads but now want to consolidate into one thread.

Having now acquired an unstarted K's bubblepack heritage 63xx I now need some chassis options for P4. Wheels will be Gibson, hornblocks, probably also sprung Gibson as I like to assemble wheels onto axles before installing on the chassis. Motor and g/b choice will come later.

Options I know something about include the Gibson milled frames, designed for the above hornblocks, with 3,500 gal tender frames also available.

The Comet chassis kit which includes coupling and connecting rods, slide bars, cylinders, etc, but I don't know if it can be built in P4 with compensation.

So if anyone has additional suggestions or info about the above two I would be most grateful.

I would send a quick email to Wizzard Models asking for a price for the 43xx chassis plus parts to build it to P4 standards, as I believe the kit will only have parts to build it to 00 gauge

Frame spacers are the easiest bit, they do P4 pony trucks ( as they sell a separate pony truck fret with an 00 & P4/EM versions. Not too certain about the cylinders. The details on the website are a bit sparse

What an awful web site.

The Comet kit is listed at £16.50 incl VAT.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/gwr-4300-2-6-0-frames-set-lf29/

It is listed as 00 so some additional P4 frame spacers will be needed.

Gordon A

Not really. All the information is on the Comet Models website including downloads and PDFs of the instructions.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/

That's just the frames. The item needed is Chassis Kit  LCP29 43XX 2-6-0 which is complete apart from motor, wheels and gearbox.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/gwr-4300-2-6-0-chassis-pack-lcp29/

And yes, they are designed for P4/EM and also for sprung axleboxes. I think the spacers can be exchanged when ordering.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/data/Catalog/pdf/LF29.pdf

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Not really. All the information is on the Comet Models website including downloads and PDFs of the instructions.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/

That's just the frames. The item needed is Chassis Kit  LCP29 43XX 2-6-0 which is complete apart from motor, wheels and gearbox.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/gwr-4300-2-6-0-chassis-pack-lcp29/

And yes, they are designed for P4/EM and also for sprung axleboxes. I think the spacers can be exchanged when ordering.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/data/Catalog/pdf/LF29.pdf

Jason

Jason,

If anyone didn't know that the Comet site was still up with the info in sections that are easily manageable, and you went straight to the Wizard site, then YES it IS a terrible website!

You do not have options on the site to filter a lot of stuff out of the way.

That said they are great to deal with!

Khris

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

The link kindly supplied by Miss Prism states that the springs will fully compress for a six coupled loco at 1kg.  My 63xx complete kit, including tender, weighs 0,68kg so I guess will be fine.

However, it appears that there is no provision for height adjustment. If the body ends up too high it would be difficult to lower it.

However, it appears that there is no provision for height adjustment. If the body ends up too high it would be difficult to lower it.

Correct. That is one of the penalities of using that type of spring. A normal (CSB) approach is to build slightly too low, which then allows a slice of packing between chassis and body to get the correct buffer height. The coil spring approach should also be to build at correct height or slightly too low, but the only method of achieving this is varying the [equalised] weight over the drivers, which may not achievable in something like a Mogul. The typical fudge for the coil spring approach is to snip one loop off the centre spring coil, which will improve pitch stability, but increase the deflection on the drivers fore and aft of the centre driver. A more complicated strategy involves filing the 'top spring datum' line - not easy with the coil-holding tongues in situ.

A normal (CSB) approach is to build slightly too low, which then allows a slice of packing between chassis and body to get the correct buffer height.

With the CSB chassis' I've built, once the weight is fitted in & centralised the CSB wire gauge is altered to suit to match the proper ride height.

I don't see how a low chassis would work, as the cylinders are generally attached to the chassis so would then sit low?

There are some good examples of both CSBs & Comet/Brassmasters/Markits coil sprung hornblocks on the clag.org website. There is also a Streamline Sheffield/John Brighton article online in pdf about building a Comet Ivatt class 2 tender loco with the coil springs.

I'd also add to the general rule that Comet chassis' are designed to allow for P4, and frame spacers can be swapped at no extra cost.

I think you have misinterpreted what I meant by 'low'. I assume the OP would have read this:

http://www.clag.org.uk/beam-annex3.html#vertical-adjustability

Actually I had not read that but it does look a bit complex for me. Having used the Gibson sprung horn-blocks before I might use them again. These have screw adjustment but are designed for the corner wheels to run on the screws with the springs pushing the wheels down for dips in the track. Centre wheels, as in an 0-6-0, can be set for up and down movement.

• 5 months later...

Picking up this thread again, I have now settled on the build content.  Comet complete chassis kit with sprung hornblocks, Comet tender chassis kit, Gibson P4 wheels, M1024 motor with Branchlines Multibox (53:1) and extender.  The motor space is surprisingly limited and I wanted to drive the centre axle.  An M1024 might seem a bit low power for a white metal body but this model won't see heavy service as most of my models go into a display case with only occasional running.  The body has been assembled enough to ascertain the motor g/b space with a scale drawing.

I also bought a s/h copy of Locomotives Illustrated for the GWR 2-6-0s and settled on 6363 so have ordered cab side plates from Modelmaster.

Earlier this year I was able to see and photograph 5322 at Didcot.  It has two additional round windows in the cab front.  I cannot see this feature in any others of the class - anyone got an explanation for this?

1 hour ago, Jeff Smith said:

Earlier this year I was able to see and photograph 5322 at Didcot.  It has two additional round windows in the cab front.  I cannot see this feature in any others of the class - anyone got an explanation for this?

Jeff, they were built with the porthole windows above the firebox and this feature was gradually removed from about 1925 onwards. Three things started to occur to GWR locos from around 1925 - the portholes were blanked over and new front plates were eventually fitted, a low vacuum pipe was fitted and heavier springs were fitted to tenders. The attached is a photo of one with the windows. Photo is from a negative I won on Ebay.

Regards,

Craig W

43xx-1.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Picking up this thread again, I have now settled on the build content.  Comet complete chassis kit with sprung hornblocks, Comet tender chassis kit, Gibson P4 wheels, M1024 motor with Branchlines Multibox (53:1) and extender.  The motor space is surprisingly limited and I wanted to drive the centre axle.  An M1024 might seem a bit low power for a white metal body but this model won't see heavy service as most of my models go into a display case with only occasional running.  The body has been assembled enough to ascertain the motor g/b space with a scale drawing.

I also bought a s/h copy of Locomotives Illustrated for the GWR 2-6-0s and settled on 6363 so have ordered cab side plates from Modelmaster.

Jeff

Look forward to seeing the build, I have a couple of these kits to build/rebuild and also have a Comet chassis built to 00 gauge to fit a Bachmann body and tender, looking to build to EM gauge

19 hours ago, Craigw said:

Jeff, they were built with the porthole windows above the firebox and this feature was gradually removed from about 1925 onwards. Three things started to occur to GWR locos from around 1925 - the portholes were blanked over and new front plates were eventually fitted, a low vacuum pipe was fitted and heavier springs were fitted to tenders. The attached is a photo of one with the windows. Photo is from a negative I won on Ebay.

Regards,

Craig W

43xx-1.jpg

Is that taken from Ponsondane level crossing?

Regards

Mark Humphrys