Hornby all blue VEP curtains HELP please 14/01

Hi all,

I have obtained a second hand VEP in all over BR Blue and have the intention of re spraying it into NSE. however I have hit a snag early on.

The glazing has the orange curtains printed directly onto it.

Is there a known way of removing this without harming the clear plastic? or should I look at the laser glaze/replacement route?

regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Griffin

Not able to be off assistance on the curtain removal, but do you have a particular prototype in mind for this respray, as I thought only refurbished units received the livery so the as built tooling for the MBS may not be appropriate (though rule 1 applies...)?

• RMweb Premium

I used brake fluid to remove printed detail from my Bachmann mk1 Pullman’s for my Royal Scotsman rake with no issues to the glazing. Soaked for a few hours and then a light scrub with an old toothbrush and washed in warm soapy water. Might work just as well for Hornby’s printing.

Edited by Hilux5972

Not able to be off assistance on the curtain removal, but do you have a particular prototype in mind for this respray, as I thought only refurbished units received the livery so the as built tooling for the MBS may not be appropriate (though rule 1 applies...)?

I'm pretty sure at least some ran in NSE livery unrefurbished. I was commuting to London from Kent from late 1990 and recall a few VEPs still in unrefurbished condition but by then there were none in Blue/Grey. At the time I recall only a handful of Central section CIG/BIGs still in Blue/Grey, all VEPs in NSE and CEPs a misture of NSE and Jaffa livery.

• RMweb Premium

Many VEPs were repainted into original NSE in unrefurbished condition. Later dark blue curved corner version was the version refurbished ones were outshopped in though. 

• RMweb Gold

Oh Dear the debate is still going on.

I wonder what's on television.

;) ;)

How is that remark constructive?

Why even both to check this thread out?

It must be just to make a stupid comment!

Dave.

Oh Dear, Sincere apologies.

That post was meant for a completely different thread and not for this one at all.

I have no problem with the debate on this thread. In fact I have been following it with interest.

Hat, coat, tail between legs, ... gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Last night I started to strip down the VEP, the motor coach glazing came out a doddle, but one of the end cars was a completely different story. The glazing was glued in with so much glue a lot has shattered upon removal, even after scrapping away with a sharp scalpel. luckily the end panel came out without any damage, as did the cab side windows.

does anyone make replacement glazing? laserglaze or such? any help would be great.

thank you