Looking for pictures of CIE Curtain sided bagged cement wagon

Junctionmad

Im currently building some old MIR kits  and Im searching for some photos of the prototype , I have only one good one of the end detail ( as this is missing from the MIR kit )

by the way , what was the purpose of the hand wheel system at one of the wagon , did it open the curtain ?

I notice some curtain sides had extra bracing at the other end , was this added later ?

thanks 

Dave 

The Pallet Cement Wagons 28001-28172 were introduced in 1976 with vertically opening side doors.

Some (though not all) bagged pallet cement wagons were rebuilt with load bearing curtains during the 1990s.

Bagged cement trains operated with both types of wagon until the traffic ceased some time after 2000.

The wagon ends were different, the hand wheel and lever arrangement at one end was part of the load securing system (moving bulkhead).

post-7338-0-42220900-1546251074_thumb.jpg

Pallet Cement Wagon in original condition.\

Handwheel and linkages controlling moving bulkhead to control lateral load movement.

The pulley and chain arrangement that controlled the doors were removed from wagons fitted with curtain sides.

I haven't a photo of the other end!

I too am in the process of building some MIR kits. These have been put on ice for the time being due to lack of detail available for the ends.

However, I have just found some pictures on Ernie's Railway Archive which are a great help.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5768567030/in/album-72157626825629406/   

Edited by David Jackson

I don't think it is necessary to extend the MIR chassis. During my hunt for end details for both the curtain sided and the drop sided wagons, I noticed that some wagons of both types have a longer underframe at one end, and others do not. There is a clip of a rake of bagged cement wagons being shunted on the video 'Rail Freight Today, Ireland', about 15.00, which shows both versions of the chassis. There do seem to be other variations as well. The pictures my link above refers to, shows a curtain sided wagon with a curved roof, not flat as the majority seem to be. I am sure someone with better knowledge of the subject than me will be able to put us straight on that.

Think JM may be looking for pics of the ends of the 'curtain' wagons (i.e. where part of the former mechanism was left in situ)

I put up the picture just to show what was originally there, I believe the mechanism was quite unique.

I put up the picture just to show what was originally there, I believe the mechanism was quite unique.

Cheers Kieran. The original drop side wagon looked over engineered and unnecessarily complicated for daily use and normal wear and tear. The curtain side must have proven much easier to maintain. Tarpaulin much more sensible, easy to use and inexpensive to repair.

Cement Pallet Wagons

attachicon.gifCement pallet wagonx.jpg

The photo in Kieran's post clearly shows the part of the mechanism (bulkhead control gear) that was left in place after the original doors were removed. Some of the wagons originally had a spoked arrangement for controlling the bulkhead but were later fitted with handwheels.

The vertical opening doors were a practical solution at a time before load bearing cargo curtains suitable for rail use became widely available, a sizable number of wagons retained the vertical lifting doors to the end of the bagged cement traffic.

As far as I know the bagged cement & beet double wagons shared a common 20'-12' wheel base chassis from the 25436-25983 flat wagons introduced in 1966, the pallet cement wagon body appears to have been shorter than the underframe to allow the bulkhead control gear to fit inside the overall 20' length.

The Eiretrains 1997 video of the Roscrea Cement trains shows a train with both original and curtain sided version of these wagons, the unloading process.

• Like 1