Model Rail Scotland 2019

ColinRae

• RMweb Premium

Haven't the vaguest notion what the above post means , but that's a reflection on me rather than anything else ,not using TwitFaceChat.

Am I correct in thinking MRS is normally in Hall 5  and this year has moved to 3?  Just incase I'm surrounded by brides in the usually concurrent Scottish Wedding Show

Really looking forward to the show . I reckon its my 46th one in a row

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Legend said:

Haven't the vaguest notion what the above post means , but that's a reflection on me rather than anything else ,not using TwitFaceChat.

Am I correct in thinking MRS is normally in Hall 5  and this year has moved to 3?  Just incase I'm surrounded by brides in the usually concurrent Scottish Wedding Show

Really looking forward to the show . I reckon its my 46th one in a row

I'm with Legend.  My immediate thought was that my "Snapchat filter" is on permanently :lol:

Steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, gridwatcher said:

Wellpark ready for departure from Glasgow to Glasgow....... 4.3 miles of a journey! 52351515_10218531073450330_6705413662477123584_o.jpg.77481ef9df2ad47c05a898df710867ea.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing Wellpark.  Like the half car, but should be a mini!

All tickets can be purchased at the door of our event Friday 22nd - 24th Feb.
Free Child Sunday's are back.*
Please print this Sunday only voucher and bring with you.
If you Don't have a printer - ask one of the door team showing this as an e-voucher and we will give you a free child ticket.
*See terms at bottom of voucher

image.png.52a9d1c4e46231f6d72f6389bda5148e.png

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Seems some of you have made the BBC News.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-47163833

Jason

and with the feature title of 'How to build the perfect model railway', a really good bit of publicity not just for the exhibition but for the hobby generally, the photos in particular look terrific.

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Just got home (Mum's) from a long and tiring visit to the show. Lots of good layouts to see and some bargains from the traders, although for once, I was unusually frugal with just one 2nd hand Dapol coal wagon the only piece of rolling stock purchased.

• RMweb Premium

Well I’m never disappointed . Another great show if perhaps not one of the classic ones . Thoroughly enjoyed visit today and will return on Sunday (sorry some serious Rugby supporting and drinking tomorrow!).  I thought good selection of traders . Picked up some 2nd hand container wagons at prices less than eBay for my DRS 68 to haul . Very happy . 

I thought Wellpark was by far and away the best layout. I usually like big tail chasers so this is not usual for me. However this layout is just so typically Glasgow , it is unique in capturing the atmosphere . Of course there’s the 303s that iconic Glasgow train , but the tenements , football supporters , chalked goalposts on the brickwork. Really fantastic . Pure dead brilliant in fact, using the Glasgow parlance. 

By contrast I found Calcutta sidings a little wanting. Visually stunning but I think because of the great length there’s a long time to wait between trains , although when they do arrive they are superb. . On the other hand Troutons by Wakefield Model Railway modellers sitting across the aisle at half the length had much more going on and was attracting more of the crowds .  One layout that pops up at MRS from time to time is Bishoptons Formakin. I must admit I’ve never really been a great fan of this layout which is British HO . I mean why would you run Playcraft, Lima, Rivarossi HO British trains when you could have a lot more in OO? Really don’t see the point. However it does sport a very good bus operating system , I think using the faller system. Different routes, some nice looking buses a really comprehensive bus operation. I’ll bet that this attracts the crowds during the more family orientated Saturday and Sunday and wouldn’t be surprised at all if the public voted it the best layout. It certainly has the unique feature. 

The Hornby stand had the latest GWR suburbans and  Terriers but I was disappointed there was no HST in ScotRail inter7city livery. Surely that would have been well received at Model Rail Scotland . Bachmann had the 117 and 158 on display , but I’m unlikely to buy as the pricing is steep, so I didn’t linger there long. However retailer wise to me the stars were Hattons with their 66s, had a good discussion with Dave there, and Accurascale where Fran astonished me by telling me the price for TPE 5 car set was £225 amazing. £45 a coach and what a specification.  These are the guys that are showing what can be done. 

There and back by train with no hassles. A great day out . 

Edited by Legend
Can’t spell
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Agree with Legend above. Wellpark just evokes so many memories of getting the train out from Central to Motherwell everyday.

Calcutta Sidings left me cold. It is essentially a very large version of the simple oval trainset we all started with. Must be a 100 feet or so to do a circuit, but a totally flat baseboard, precision straight track, a small (in comparison to overall layout) scenic section and is just a roundy-roundy oval.

Montague Field had some stunning modelling and very clever dock scene. Farbine Road was another big favourite proving yet again that a micro layout can still have sufficient interest. It's by Neil Woodbine whose Franwood TMD was my best in show at last years Model Rail Scotland.

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Agree 1

Enjoyed the show yesterday.WP_20190222_14_37_24_Pro.jpg.b87551895a60f2904643bd2daeaeeb05.jpg Took me a while to find Wellpark, but was delighted when I found it.

I also really liked Calcutta sidings, just watching very well detailed full length trains going by.

Got a couple of blue grey Postal Coaches from Cheltenham flush glaze windows to complete my Lima ScotRail Mk3s from Shawplan and bits and pieces from a very big Squires stall.

One trader was trying to sell Oxford ScotRail Mk3 SO Mk3s for £49, whilst there were plenty of COs at less than £30. For a moment I assumed at that price it had been resprayed, sadly not however.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As said by Waverley above, for character Wellpark was by far the best: picked out lots of classic Glasgow interest. Couldn’t get near it much of the time!  My overall favourite was Dubmill Sidings, others that appealed to my tastes (other tastes are available and perfectly valid) were Glebe St, United Mills, Framplington and Lymebrook Yard.  I liked the look of Calcutta sidings and the sound (real sound from long trains!).  The Framplington brake van sleight of hand appealed to my warped senses too.

Good to meet Clive of Sheffield Exchange, Disgusting of MH, George and John on Framplington and sf315.

Thanks for a good show.

Paul.

• Thanks 2

Yet another excellent show great layouts Welpark was a one I kept going back to met George on Framplington  ,the details on layout superb although he had not had his Mars bar .Trade good with wide range on offer nice to see Petite Properties bought two kits see them next at Railex Aylesbury. Barromore Group have built a magnificent layout great watching long coal trains hauled by steam overall well worth making the trip will be back next year thanks everyone for a great day out.

Just got back to the shop having driven back from Glasgow today. Spent eight hours in there yesterday.  Gill and I had a great day at a fantastic event. Didn't get to see everything. There was one outstanding layout for us. I don't even know it's name. Dock scheme with a fantastic bridge that was scratch built from I would say hundreds of pieces of wood. Built by one guy on his own. Anybody have a name for it or can get one tomorrow?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

There was one outstanding layout for us. I don't even know it's name. Dock scheme with a fantastic bridge that was scratch built from I would say hundreds of pieces of wood. Built by one guy on his own. Anybody have a name for it or can get one tomorrow?

Montague Field. As I said in my own review, a fantastic piece of modelling.

Montague1.jpg.d3a13899872d42eab9d50f56c42acb0a.jpg

Montague2.jpg.f1add2e0ca205687251bed068820fda2.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Dock scheme with a fantastic bridge that was scratch built from I would say hundreds of pieces of wood.

Hi Barry, spent 8 hours there yesterday myself and like you, thought this bridge was stunning. Will pop in to the shop soon. Cheers, Mike/Montague3.jpg.692d7f3fd096c9e7e0c2db34a83f2aec.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 2