Model Rail Scotland 2019

ColinRae

Hi Mike,

That's the one. How did we not bump into each other? I cannot believe how many people we met there. Even funnier was when we stopped at Tebay services. Oxford Rail, Bachmann and Hattons team were all there at the same time as us. Could have set up a mini Exhibition in the car park!

Just another plus for the show. Plenty of room between the aisles. Catering was great and very reasonable.

We will be back next year.

• Like 2

Cracking day today, the standouts for me were Dubmill Sidings and Newcastleton. Kept going back to both, and could be assured of something new going on to watch. Loved all three 009 layouts, all full of character and all yet completely different.

• RMweb Premium

Great show, had a fantastic time there yesterday and am going back tomorrow with the small boys in tow. So,e really great layouts, and good trade support as well. I did think it was a bit off the one stall trying to sell Scotrail Mk3 SOs for £49, and DBSOs for £85. But Oxford didn’t make enough, so I guess it’s worth a try. Be interested to see if they’re still there tomorrow.

I was rather disappointed that the fairly big stall that sells a lot of kits, and a lot of narrow gauge stuff wasn’t there this year. I think it’s Dundas? Was really wanting a shop of the narrow gauge stuff. I’m sure they’ve been there most other years. 

• Agree 1

On 15/02/2019 at 19:20, ColinRae said:

Please make use of the Free Vintage bus linking Queen st, Central and the SEC.

The bus stop on George Sq is the one beside Gregg's or diagonally opposite Weatherspoons - so some warm places to wait if you are early!

At Central is the main bus Stops on Union Street on the side exit from Central StationBusTT.jpg.33d178cfc5cbca66fbddcf71cb443814.jpg

Dang. I saw that bus, didn't realise it was for the event! Ended up on the 100 and paying over the odds.

3 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Great show, had a fantastic time there yesterday and am going back tomorrow with the small boys in tow. So,e really great layouts, and good trade support as well. I did think it was a bit off the one stall trying to sell Scotrail Mk3 SOs for £49, and DBSOs for £85. But Oxford didn’t make enough, so I guess it’s worth a try. Be interested to see if they’re still there tomorrow.

I was rather disappointed that the fairly big stall that sells a lot of kits, and a lot of narrow gauge stuff wasn’t there this year. I think it’s Dundas? Was really wanting a shop of the narrow gauge stuff. I’m sure they’ve been there most other years. 

Stand you are thinking of was Parkside Dundas.  Parkside kits are now with Peco.  Narrow gauge stuff with:

https://dundasmodels.co.uk/webstore/index.php

Exhibitions they attend listed there.

Hi Gang;

Had an excellent time over the weekend at Glasgow show. Usual varied travel itinerary to get there and back coupled with some purchases, bumping into old friends and a few beverages along the way. Even managed a trip on the vintage AEC bus to the show.

It was great to get an update from Revolution on all the ongoing projects, especially the 320/321 with a new coupling system to require only one DCC chip, news of 92 production and possible new liveries to come in real life.

Managed to get all (most) of the required shopping with a couple of impulse buys too, so quite happy with the haul.

Had a great chat with the Accurascale guys who are working on R&D for the Mk5s with Revolution. I was especially taken with their 4mm Rawie Buffer Stops, which I was canvassing with both them and Revolution for a reduction to N Gauge. Whether that will happen will, of course, be a business led decision by the guys.

As for layouts, some could definately be better run...with long gaps of inactivity. I was especially taken with Wellpark, a suitably Glaswegian setting, well executed. Farbine TMD in 4mm was also nice as was the 7mm shed layout set in semi darkness.

It's all over for me for another year...need to pencil in the 2020 dates at work very soon.

Later;
Stu from EGDL

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

A big well done to everyone who has had long days or is still traveling. Don't think I even saw Wellpark, must have been too crowded around it. Great to see so many families/children on Saturday. I too was very impressed with Montague Fields. For whoever exhibited the circular narrow gauge garden railway, my wife requests scale slugs.

Just got back from the SEC and Great Endon is now back in my garage.  Myself and my operators all had a great weekend and many thanks to Ian and his team for putting on a fantastic show, this doesn't happen without a lot of hard work behind the scenes. It was good to be next to Mick Bryan and his folks to see New Bryford's last show and have a little bit of Lancashire in Glasgow between us.

It was also nice to say hello to many friends and good to make some new ones.

I look forward to coming back next year either with a layout, or as a normal visitor, its always a great trip out.

Thanks again

Jeremy

Edited by Jeremy Davison
Added New Bryford name
  • Agree 2

Here is a couple of videos from the show that I took on Sunday three great layouts IMHO. 

First two layouts New Bryford on it’s last outing and Wellpark on its first.

And the star of the show for me Calcutta Sidings.

Davie 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really enjoyed the show and in particular Bridgwater. This has meticulous attention to detail, not only in its physical aspects, in the layout and rolling stock (all of which was scratch or kit built) but also in its operation. Everything worked as on the prototype. Block bells made the correct codes, every movement was properly signalled. Everything made the correct sounds. This extended to the signal box. I’ve heard block bells properly used (indeed we use them on the Bradford North Western branch) but I’ve never before heard the clank of levers moving.

I was privileged to be invited back scene and I was tremendously inspired. Trevor Gibson should be recognised as a master of his craft, on a par with Denny, Jenkinson et al.

Trevor seems to be a very modest chap. The only reference I can find on the web is his very interesting web site 

https://bridgwatersdjr.wordpress.com/about/

Ian

A great show as ever and receiving an award from the judging panel was the icing on the cake.

Not sure when we will return but it will be a pleasure as always

Thanks to everyone at the AMRSS for making it a wonderful experience

I stood watching Calcutta Sidings and started chatting to a chap and as we chatted discovered he was born in Aylesbury were I have lived since 1961 he was born in 1966 just shows what a small world it is.Thourghly enjoyed this years show good to speak with people and meet friends looking forward to next year .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Legend said:

What layouts actually won the awards , do we know?

As one of the organisers I should really know but I don't !

Shame on me ! 

I will get Bruce who was in charge of such things to post them up for you all . 

Mike b 

• Thanks 1

The following are the prize winners for model Rail Scotland

Visiting layout

3rd place Troutons 

2nd place Ardmore

1st place Mauch chauk

Amrss club layouts

3rd place Montague field

2nd place Well park

1st place United mills.

Bruce

Edited by Bruced
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well a week has gone by and the Layout is back at home in Springburn getting some remedial love. Many, many thanks to all those who were so kind about Wellpark on its debut. If you knew how skin of the teeth it was to get it finished, one wiring the signals and another glazing the tenement on the Thursday afternoon before the show opened, then you might be just as amazed at how well it ran. Our first (but definitely not the last) foray into OHL too. The kind pointers from the show layouts judge have been taken on board and we will attempt to bring it out next time even better than the last. We will also look into pushing the timeline forwards in to late 80s and 90s at some shows. The 303s didn't change much and we have chosen units that were late to be refurbed. There are 314, 318 and 320s waiting to go too. All in good time. Plenty of invites for English weekends away and a kind request for magazine piece too. Delighted so many enjoyed it. See you next at our own show at Bonnybridge Community Centre on April 28th 29th where amongst others 'Blair Atholl Towards Drumochter' will make another trip out along with SR 3rd rail 'Waddon Marsh' and a Scottish show debut for 'Brewhouse Quay' the micro layout built by Chris Nevard and bought by Graeme Moyes a few years ago. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1