Res-era TMD

Ragtag

Seeking a project to occupy my time prior to a house-move and space for the 'proper' layout, I've plumped for a small TMD on which to exercise my growing fleet of primarily sectorisation-era parcels stock.

Initial thoughts on track plan are below. With a 6' x 2' space to work in the TMD as it stands will hold up to 10 locos on shed at a time. The platform at the back will represent a rarely-used siding of a larger off-scene Royal Mail Terminal, with the sheds themselves coming from Scalescenes along with their CLASP crew room.

Any comments and suggestions welcome :)

post-6758-0-52428400-1546281590_thumb.jpg

post-6758-0-25638300-1546281599_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Ian - I have a couple of skips too so can dip into EWS from time to time. The main layout is planned to have a range of operating eras but the biggest issue with EWS and beyond is modelling the 325s (especially post 2004 when all the other stock went out of use)

• Like 1

Yes - they found a use for the mail Skips and named a few if I remember - a bit out of my area though (NW) as I was only getting back into the Traction lark - was it that far back?

I do like the RES livery - plain for some though.

Whats the plan for the Depot Crew Room?

Baccy Scenecraft or something scratched?

Ian

Thinking Scalescenes CLASP kit for the crew room at the mo. 2004 is when the contract went to GBRf and I believe that was the end of the Super BGs and Super GUVs for Royal Mail, unless someone knows otherwise? I know some were labelled and trialled for DHL but can't lay my hand on the date of that at the moment.

Yes the CLASP kit looks promising and can be kitbashed - more so than the Scenecraft Mess which is Bescot based and the resin is sometimes crude and a bit far too "robust"

Although garage based damp is the enemy of everything I have done in card.

Ian

I'm not a fan of resin buildings, for all they have 3D texture I find they usually end up looking a little crude and far prefer card or plastic kits.  Fortunately the layout is indoors so no risk of damp (I hope!)

Hi

Looking an interesting layout.....

Will be following....

As regards messroom Knightwing do a plastic kit of either a single or two storey portacabin which may be of interest....

They go together well ,are 3D & don't have that coarseness of resin....

Also easy to add internal detail if required.

No connection....Just satisfied customer....

Cheers Bill

Looking at the boards in the flesh today I realised that I'd remembered the sizes incorrectly and that I therefore actually had an extra 6" in length over what I'd originally planned. That takes the carrying capacity of the depot to 12 locos comfortably which is pretty much my entire Res fleet. My EWS fleet is a similar size so shouldn't be a problem for that era either. 

I'm fairly happy with how the plan is coming together and starting to visualise where the details will go to complete the scene. Only thing I'm drawing a blank on at the moment is what to do with the bottom-left corner which is currently beyond the railway boundary. May simply end up as a fly-tipping area but it's a bit big for that really.

post-6758-0-13679900-1546808067_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 1

I'd thought about that but it might be a bit of a Royal Mail overkill at that point - plus the main RMT is set behind the layout so to speak so it wouldn't make much sense having the yard in the foreground. I like the general  idea of a lock-up, or perhaps even a small bus depot (another hobby of mine!)

2 became 3 as a little progress was made this evening. Numbers are custom sets from Railtec and I don't think I'll ever be going back to trying to line up individual digits...

attachicon.gif20190103_002806.jpg

Looking great Ragtag and thanks for sharing. Always good to see the finished results.

In this day and age I see no reason why there should largely be a need for anyone to have to cut out and line up individual numbers and letters, particularly when complete numbersets are a doddle to make and cheap as chips. One of the many goals when creating Railtec was to drag some 20th century concepts into the 21st century, and this is certainly one of them as custom runs of spot printed complete loco numbers with no superfluous carrier film are a multiple everyday occurrence now - in all scales. In fact within the past few weeks I've devised a way to make the process even quicker.

Link to custom alpha-numerics:

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?type=5&theme=33&gauge=all

• Like 1

Not that many left by then.

If you go back slightly to 90-93 there was a mish mash of postal stocks and lots of locos drafted into the parcels pools in anyhting but red.....for instance the forthcoming 47537 in weathered form from kernow.

It all got a lot more uniform once everything got into the 477xx range.

• 1 year later...

After being on the backburner for a while I finally got 47791 to the point of being finished (for now). It's modelled in 1996 condition so will only need a light weathering at some point. Pipes etc. still need fitting to the front. 

Work so far involved:

-renumbering

-fitting nameplates

-painting RCH leads

-painting ETH sockets

-painting handrails

-fitting depot plaques and BR arrows

-moving electrification flashes closer to the headcode panels

-modifying tail lights to represent the LED style

20200404_094518.jpg.f1d0dc7156f6f8049b12a98febc4361d.jpg20200404_094446.jpg.ab1a828b284738877cf782e70dba3230.jpg20200404_094549.jpg.f2f8afdf8cd5e5f95505ead02b74442e.jpg

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1