Strange problem with Kadeee couplers and Bachmann Silver Series cars

TEAMYAKIMA

Hello

I have been using/adapting Kadee coupler for 30+ years and today came across a new problem I have never heard of.

I have 44 x Bachmann Silver Series cars (3 bay hoppers and low sided gondolas) from donkeys years ago and thought I should finally upgrade them to Kadees using the new style Kadees (143)

Luckily I've only ordered 5 packs to start with but I'm amazed to find that the Kadees are too 'thick' for the Bachmann box - if I tighten the screw the coupler is absolutely rigid .

So has anyone else heard of this? Are these new style couplers 'thicker' than the old #5's and  similar ?

I'm guessing that I'm going to have to file down all 88 couplers!

Given the age of the stock is it possible that the coupler boxes are too thin? Might be worth doing a quick measure before hauling out the file.

Cheers,

David

I think that is indeed the problem - just amazed that they seem non-standard - surely the NMRA laid down standards long before these were originally introduced?

• RMweb Gold

Hello

I have been using/adapting Kadee coupler for 30+ years and today came across a new problem I have never heard of.

I have 44 x Bachmann Silver Series cars (3 bay hoppers and low sided gondolas) from donkeys years ago and thought I should finally upgrade them to Kadees using the new style Kadees (143)

Luckily I've only ordered 5 packs to start with but I'm amazed to find that the Kadees are too 'thick' for the Bachmann box - if I tighten the screw the coupler is absolutely rigid .

So has anyone else heard of this? Are these new style couplers 'thicker' than the old #5's and  similar ?

I'm guessing that I'm going to have to file down all 88 couplers!

The whisker couplers may have been made a tad thicker than older types as there is no longer a need to accommodate the separate brass centering spring, but they shouldn't be any thicker than the #5 plus the spring. 

My suspicion is that the draft boxes on the Bachmann cars aren't NMRA-compliant.

As a work-around, it may be easier to add a piece of narrow plastic strip to the edges of the boxes to increase their depth rather than filing the couplers.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling