Hornby HAAs, why still silly prices?

E3109

As a Woodhead crank clearly I need boatloads of HAAs/HOPs but I do wonder why these Rovex antiquities are still commanding such high prices on eBay and so on.

To be fair I acknowledge that this is still a damned good model, and can be improved on with relative ease.

I did hear that there are some inaccuracies with the Hornby wagon but even if that's the case I can live with it: it looks pretty much right to me.

Maybe I've answered my own question with the above comment, but if, say, Accurascale were to produce such a wagon I'd reconsider my position.

As it is, I'd like perhaps 90 of them (3 rakes) but not really willing to pay the best part of a grand for the privilege!

Woodhead may be a niche market, but HAAs certainly aren't!

Comments welcome, cheers.

E3109

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

if, say, Accurascale were to produce such a wagon I'd reconsider my position.

As it is, I'd like perhaps 90 of them (3 rakes) but not really willing to pay the best part of a grand for the privilege!

Surely if Accurascale (or any other contemporary manufacturer were to produce one, you’d be paying well over a grand for that many wagons - two to three times!

While I remember the days you could get second hand coaches for a tenner, they are long gone and the quality has moved on massively since. Each of the current wagons has multiples of separate parts compared to the coaches I refer to of the 1990s (yes I know you get the odd sale that gets some coaches close, but they are the exception). And there are two types produced by Hornby, the original and a later more detailed (though not necessarily more accurate) one. This auction (no connection) might be a start to a bargain rake... https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132903555031

A tenner a wagon today? I’d say that’s a good deal!

Surely if Accurascale (or any other contemporary manufacturer were to produce one, you’d be paying well over a grand for that many wagons - two to three times!

While I remember the days you could get second hand coaches for a tenner, they are long gone and the quality has moved on massively since. Each of the current wagons has multiples of separate parts compared to the coaches I refer to of the 1990s (yes I know you get the odd sale that gets some coaches close, but they are the exception). And there are two types produced by Hornby, the original and a later more detailed (though not necessarily more accurate) one. This auction (no connection) might be a start to a bargain rake... https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132903555031

A tenner a wagon today? I’d say that’s a good deal!

I did drop on one recently for £3 (!) at a swap meet, needed work but very good going really, rest of those I have were approx £10 each.

They seem to attain silly prices on eBay at the mo, many thanks for that link and may place a bid but I doubt if that lot will go for less that fifty nicker.

• RMweb Gold

I did drop on one recently for £3 (!) at a swap meet, needed work but very good going really, rest of those I have were approx £10 each.

They seem to attain silly prices on eBay at the mo, many thanks for that link and may place a bid but I doubt if that lot will go for less that fifty nicker.

If you are talking about the the newly moulded Chinese MGR then I'll take as many off you as you can find at a tenner apiece.

The old ones struggle to actually sell for for much more than a fiver if you know where to look.

Mike.

3 words-

SUPPLY AND DEMAND

There are lots of people after them so the price people are willing to pay goes up, if you are not willing to compete at that price level then you miss out, only when supply exceeds demand will the prices fall/level off so dont expect it any time soon, same as anything else really

• RMweb Gold

Sorry all, I single-handedly put the price up on second hand HAAs about ten years ago and it’s never come back down.

I’m still after a few more but these days I won’t pay more than three or four quid apiece.

Andi

Ramseys would suggest that over 100,000 were produced as single items (and not including ones sold in sets), and I can only conclude that thousands must be sitting in boxes which have hardly ever seen the light of day. 

Maybe a price rise will tempt those in 'long term storage' to appear for sale, and prices will descend to a sensible level again?

Edited by jonny777

I'd keep going toy swapmeets and toy fairs , where second hand , unboxed go for £4.00 - £8.00 i'd say max ( could be wrong ! ) , plus you can haggle the price down if someone has  a few to sell , will be going to the Penarth toy fair this Saturday (5th Jan) will look to see what the prices are and report back !

• Like 1

I did see a box of 3 for sale at a local emporium yesterday, the revamped versions, they did seem to be an improvement on those I'm used to.

They were s/h but as new, however at £55 I didn't buy them.

Some old guy was paying for them ten minutes later, so they certainly continue to attract great interest!

• Like 1

All mine are the early version fitted with new wheels and couplings and the silly floating axleguard assembly locked in the central position. The propel ok as they have to be set back into the colliery sidings etc. Any that have the electrification warning flash signs in the mid upper body have resistive wheelsets for my track circuits. Two have green cards for defective doors. The residual coal from the non opening doors hides a capacitor to keep the tail light alight/non flickering. Any with yellow reinforcing steelwork have been backdated using Halfords best red lead.

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 4

Around 15 years ago i was looking to build up a rake of the Hornby CDA ECC china clay wagons but they fetched good money even then, Hornby later released a 3 pack with tan coloured weathering which was cheaper, I still have my rake of 2 :-)

Went to toy fair at Penarth today , MGR were £6.50 each ( old type , boxed ) although i could have got the three for about £12 - £15 with a bit of bargaining if i had wished to buy them

B***er it !

Got my dates mixed up !

Now I've retired and don't get a free diary anymore, look what happens !

Brian R