Bala Town

Andrew P

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think you will find that  if the Bay is used by passenger stuff then a trap point is not needed. Best check with Mike as if it were trapped, being effectively a facing point it would also need an fpl.  I remember raising a similar query on another forum thread on the same issue. 

The reply from Mike two days ago Richard

But if it was me I would put the water tower roughly where the coal stage is (perhaps a bit nearer the platform end?) and move the coal stage nearer to the shed.  Part of the reason for doing this is that it creates extra movements when an engine needs water when it comes in off a train so a bit more play operating entertainment for you.

Incidentally if you are going to use the bay line for passenger trains the engine shed siding also needs a trap point - single tongue job again.  

• Thanks 1

Manic day today, and so only a short while in TOPS.

I did manage to make up the two Peco Phone Boxes though.

IMG_6831.JPG.3b18d356efc4a11d2b4da88d1b72fc9e.JPG

IMG_6832.JPG.74f66b1b38c8bca665aff2f8a87e83c7.JPG

IMG_6833.JPG.9d6ddbfa3a62a9609cc436146ea0cbb6.JPG

And this will be the position of the Signal Box once made up and painted.

IMG_6834.JPG.f9d4f069a856ebe88fd8b98e314f4219.JPG

And the position of the Water Tower (if I keep it) and the Coaling Stage.

IMG_6835.JPG.92014b7a8fd3a21ce83fb58eb04b5564.JPG

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A little Doh from me!

I failed to notice you have the shed of the bay road.  I could have sworn it wasn't there earlier!

Having gone back to the latest pictures, I can see you already have the fpl in place on the point leading to the shed siding, and as Mike says the shed road will need a trap to protect the bay, but you don't need an additional trap coming out of the bay as it is covered by the shed road!

By the time I've written this you may very well have finished Bala Town, then ripped it all out and started on another model:lol:.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Manic day today, and so only a short while in TOPS.

I did manage to make up the two Peco Phone Boxes though.

IMG_6831.JPG.3b18d356efc4a11d2b4da88d1b72fc9e.JPG

IMG_6832.JPG.74f66b1b38c8bca665aff2f8a87e83c7.JPG

IMG_6833.JPG.9d6ddbfa3a62a9609cc436146ea0cbb6.JPG

And this will be the position of the Signal Box once made up and painted.

IMG_6834.JPG.f9d4f069a856ebe88fd8b98e314f4219.JPG

And the position of the Water Tower (if I keep it) and the Coaling Stage.

IMG_6835.JPG.92014b7a8fd3a21ce83fb58eb04b5564.JPG

Psst Andy, can we have the language bi-lingual please ? Aled y Glo will not put any coal in there unless the Cymraeg version is written on the box 

Glo / Coal

will suffice ;)

Diolch yn fawr

Craig. 

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, muddys-blues said:

Psst Andy, can we have the language bi-lingual please ? Aled y Glo will not put any coal in there unless the Cymraeg version is written on the box 

Glo / Coal

will suffice ;)

Diolch yn fawr

Craig. 

I don't think glo coal would be a good idea on a wooden coaling stage.  It would end up being a glowing coaling stage!

Then no coaling stage at all.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Glo / Coal

will suffice ;)

Diolch yn fawr

Craig. 

No:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I don't think glo coal would be a good idea on a wooden coaling stage.  It would end up being a glowing coaling stage!

Then no coaling stage at all.

It's only a pretend model Richard, hahha well sort of.:D

• Like 1

Same here PeterBB, I thought Andy was too busy for modeling as no action was seen on Seven mill siding then by accident I discovered he was at Bala so now following.

Bala Town is looking good Andy , I struggle to get one layout moving while you seem to have multiple ones on the go, all power to your elbow sir.

Best

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Actually found the topic , have skimmed/read all posts - and now found the 'follow' button!  Thanks for your help.

Cheers Peter, Glad you found the madness that is called Bala Town, have you also found Seven Mills Sidings?

Edited by Andrew P
add?
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Same here PeterBB, I thought Andy was too busy for modeling as no action was seen on Seven mill siding then by accident I discovered he was at Bala so now following.

Bala Town is looking good Andy , I struggle to get one layout moving while you seem to have multiple ones on the go, all power to your elbow sir.

Best

Hi Barnaby, Thanks for your post above, Seven Mills Sidings is at the stage where I'm making sure it's right before proceeding more, but TBH it seems good and works well. And that gives me something to Play on when I feel I need a break, work will re commence on SMS again soon.

Hence all the work at the moment is concentrated here on BT, I hope my Point Rodding Stools will arrive early next week so that I can get them fitted and move on to the Ballasting etc.

In the meantime, I can work on the Shed area and also make up the Signal Box.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Peter, Glad you found the madness that is called Bala Town, have you also found Seven Mills Sidings?

Our Andrew has two streams of madness.

Isn't there a name for split personality madness?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Dissociative Identity Disorder.

I know an individual who suffers from it and this is compounded by the use of cannabis and alcohol.

He is very much a Jekyll and Hyde character and the condition is no laughing matter.

One minute he can be a charming erudite character, and the next can flip into being verbally abusive and on the cusp of physical violence. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Madness or not, :banghead:Wizard Models! I ordered the Point Rodding Stools yesterday and they were pushed through my letterbox at 9am today, Great service I would say, so next week I can get some rod and make a start on that job.

• Like 5

Andy,

I was very impressed by the last photo; the way the backscene blends with the fencing and foreground!

If I only had a tenth of your skill..................

Regards,

Dave

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

Andy,

I was very impressed by the last photo; the way the backscene blends with the fencing and foreground!

If I only had a tenth of your skill..................

Regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'm pretty good at hiding the BODGES along the way, haha.

Not looking forward to the Water Tower or Signal Box Builds, so may skirt around those jobs for a while.:bye:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

so may skirt around those jobs for a while.:bye:

That conjures up a strange vision, I can't imagine you wearing one whilst modelling !!! :laugh:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Andy, if you want any help with the kits, give me a shout.

Cheers, Ade.

Cheers Ade, may take you up on that, I'll give you a call later in the week if that's O.K.

• Like 2

Agree with andyram another classic Andy Peters master piece in the making , even constructing coaling stage 30mins after breakfast .......not good for the digestive system.....how many times did you climb those steps Andy to get them worn that much :jester: or was just pure :butcher:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, andyram said:

It is looking fantastic Andy. I am really enjoying seeing this develop. Another classic is being produced here.

Thanks Andy, really not sure about the word classic, but its an enjoyable build, with a few challenges that are keeping me on my toes.

Good to see you last week at the Ilkeston / Trowel Show, hope you had a profitable day.