Bala Town

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Two things

1 Not sure that I would like to eat 'sooted cabbages' that would be 'well steamed' or 'well oiled' ... you take your pick depending on the locos.

2 Strange how removing the clutter behind layouts make them totally look like the real thing.

Edited by PeterBB
Spelling
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Two things

1 Not sure that I would like to eat 'sooted cabbages' that would be 'well steamed' or 'well oiled' ... you take your pick depending on the locos.

2 Strange how removing the clutter behind layouts make them totally look like the real thing.

Quite a lot of Rural Signal Boxes had small Allotments, all lubricated by the wheels of time.:D

And yes Al's rendition of the BIG PICTURE makes it look superb.:good:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Now say you are going to sell it.

It needs a loving home, plus I have things to do, Layout Plans to bring to fruition, and gems of ideas that need nurturing and completing. :rolleyes:

So yes, it's only another Layout after all.:o

• RMweb Gold

I just recognise it is the artist in you. Most artist are always looking forward to the next picture. I dont think Michael Angelo stopped painting after doing the Mona Lisa. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, KNP said:

Looking good, just need to paint the engine shed roof before it rains!

Yeah, it had one coat of Dirty thinners when I did the walls, but I'll wait until the Air Brush is out and do a decent job then.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Lovely set of pictures there Bodgit very gert weston ? anyway you can't beat a bit of coal dust in yer cauliflower as we were made of stronger stuff in those days...

Haha, no room for any other Veg, like Black Oily Carrots, haha.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Just a quick reminder, "Save our Bala Station " meeting after Coronation Street, or for you posh people who watch BBC Eastenders, in the snug at the Engine and Tender,  Monday night.

Bring your Cheque Book.:taunt:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

G'day Andy,

Just going back to your difficulties with assembling the Signal Box, I presume it's cast in Polyurethane. If so, the only successful adhesive, other than contact adhesive, is Superglue ( Cyanoacrylate ).

I've been manufacturing model railway kits and accessories in Polyurethane for over 25 years, and my recommendation is to roughen or abrade the faces of the joints to be glued. This can be done with emery or similar, or scraping with a knife blade or file. 

After doing this the superglue will/should go off very quickly, whereas if not treated this way I have found that the superglue will not go off at all.

I have found  that even the cheap superglues will work well after this basic preparation.

Ian Storrie

Ian Lindsay Models

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Ianlind said:

G'day Andy,

Just going back to your difficulties with assembling the Signal Box, I presume it's cast in Polyurethane. If so, the only successful adhesive, other than contact adhesive, is Superglue ( Cyanoacrylate ).

I've been manufacturing model railway kits and accessories in Polyurethane for over 25 years, and my recommendation is to roughen or abrade the faces of the joints to be glued. This can be done with emery or similar, or scraping with a knife blade or file. 

After doing this the superglue will/should go off very quickly, whereas if not treated this way I have found that the superglue will not go off at all.

I have found  that even the cheap superglues will work well after this basic preparation.

Ian Storrie

Ian Lindsay Models

Thanks Ian, I used the Locktight Superglue on the main body, which is the resin / polyurethane and the components within including white metal parts, and that was fine and no problem, the problem came when doing the plastic steps, they just kept falling apart, despite cleaning and roughing up which seemed strange, all the rest was good, the Locktight gell all purpose worked fine in the end.

Thanks for you advice anyway, I'll remember that for any future kits etc.

• Friendly/supportive 1