Bala Town

Andrew P

I had my eye on one of them but SWMBO tells me it wasn't prototypical for the planned layout scenario so will have to wait for the 14xx.

Luckily for me, my SWMBO never ventures into TOPS so I by what I like, and I need to see how 14XX looks and runs.

• Like 1

Did the Class 22 or Class 14 come  by this way - I am not that familiar with the history of the line

regards

Paul R

Not a clue TBH Paul, I wouldn't have thought the Line saw either, that's why I have a Green Rat coming to work some freight down from the Ex LNWR Line, and also some WR from  Corwen, other than that everything will be Steam Hauled, and Passenger Services will be by the Autocoach.

• Like 2

Did the Class 22 or Class 14 come  by this way - I am not that familiar with the history of the line

regards

Paul R

Neither!

Class 14 was only introduced in 1964, and 22's haunts more South and west. Other than some DMU excursions the late 50's and early 60's, it was a steam stronghold!

Neither!

Class 14 was only introduced in 1964, and 22's haunts more South and west. Other than some DMU excursions the late 50's and early 60's, it was a steam stronghold!

Thanks Martin, that was my assumption, and I'm taking the liberty of including the Rat.  :sungum:

• Like 1

Thanks Martin, that was my assumption, and I'm taking the liberty of including the Rat.  :sungum:

Andy-there's a lovely video/dvd of a 24 on a demolition train from Morfa Mawddach to Llanuwchllyn circa October 1968, in colour, called Welsh Byways.

Turn off the turgid commentary though, if you get hold of one, as ALL the place names are mispronounced!!!

Worth getting hold of, if you're interested!

Andy-there's a lovely video/dvd of a 24 on a demolition train from Morfa Mawddach to Llanuwchllyn circa October 1968, in colour, called Welsh Byways.

Turn off the turgid commentary though, if you get hold of one, as ALL the place names are mispronounced!!!

Worth getting hold of, if you're interested!

Thanks for that Martin, I'll have a look for it, or on You Tube. I do wish Heljan, Dapol or even Sutton Locomotive Works, would do a decent 24.

There's an excellent article on the line by Mike Morton-Lloyd in the May '71 Model Railway News.  It's probably the article that inspired me to take more interest in the line and to make contact with Mike on some of the aspects that weren't quite clear at the time.  I built a model of Frongoch goods shed in the late 70's, which I still have, using his photo in the article.

One of the reasons I chose Penmaenpool was that no diesel locos went there.  I suppose during demolition it was inevitable that the rule would be broken.  No rats down the line for me, Andy!

Best wishes on Bala, Paul

Same to you with Penmaenpool Paul, but come, just ONE little Rat won't hurt, haha. :no:  :scared:

There's an excellent article on the line by Mike Morton-Lloyd in the May '71 Model Railway News.  It's probably the article that inspired me to take more interest in the line and to make contact with Mike on some of the aspects that weren't quite clear at the time.  I built a model of Frongoch goods shed in the late 70's, which I still have, using his photo in the article.

Thanks for the info 5050, but I'm not a great Mag reader, and my line won't be as per the prototype, but it will be worth a look, I'll try and seek it out.

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

This isn't fair. After plotting my first foray into the 7mm layout world, I thought I had my ideas sorted in my head then a lovely, well balanced layout appears the same size as I have in mind and I have to think again!

This isn't fair. After plotting my first foray into the 7mm layout world, I thought I had my ideas sorted in my head then a lovely, well balanced layout appears the same size as I have in mind and I have to think again!

DON'T think again, just do it, the Scenics etc WILL be different and so it really doesn't matter, I bet you'll find MANY Layouts in many Gauges with the same Track Plan.

I look forward to seeing what you produce.

BTW. There is a small change to mine. see below.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

DON'T think again, just do it, the Scenics etc WILL be different and so it really doesn't matter, I bet you'll find MANY Layouts in many Gauges with the same Track Plan.

I look forward to seeing what you produce.

BTW. There is a small change to mine. see below.

I spotted the extra siding. One siding the opposite way is a great way of increasing the shunting potential.

I spotted the extra siding. One siding the opposite way is a great way of increasing the shunting potential.

I pinched that idea from another mates Layout, but because his Dairy was set between Warehouses it worked well for him, mine just didn't I'm afraid. 

post-9335-0-72532200-1546724344_thumb.jpg

The idea of a siding going the wrong way is still a good one and I would recommend it, in fact I did it with the Dairy on my Pencarne Layout.

post-9335-0-77019900-1546724675_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-85738900-1546724777_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Andy

With regards to your Jinty, if I may be so bold, a Ivatt class 2 2-6-2T, Standard 2 2-6-2T, or even a Standard 4 2-6-4T would be more prototypical. Together with the 2-6-0 versions of the 2MT family they were seen in the area, along with Std 4 4-6-0's.

Of course you can always apply Rule 1 ( it's my train set!)