The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

What's new? Irvine has always talked himself up like that.

He was Schumacher's No2 so how better to justify himself as the 2nd best than to talk his team-mate up as being the best ever?

Ferrari had a winning set-up at the time, with Jean Todt & Ross Brawn directing the team.

Ferrari & Vettel have made some errors in the past 2 years, but I do not mean this as a criticism. It is what happens when you are striving to be the best.

• Like 1

"Ferrari & Vettel have made some errors in the past 2 years, but I do not mean this as a criticism. It is what happens when you are striving to be the best."

I agree. I like Vettel, but he and Ferrari made a series of silly errors last year that has now cost them dearly. Fingers crossed they can have a smoother 2019

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

He was Schumacher's No2 so how better to justify himself as the 2nd best than to talk his team-mate up as being the best ever?

Ferrari had a winning set-up at the time, with Jean Todt & Ross Brawn directing the team.

They also had exclusive fuel and tyres not available to other teams. For Irvine to then imply Hamilton's racking up of wins is partly due him have the best car smacks of hypocrisy. Every top driver will go for the best car they can get a seat in, why wouldn't they?

Renault are saying all the right things, despite losing their new boss:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141203/new-rules-will-put-back-top-teams-in-19--renault

But they also seem to be taking a very big gamble. For the sake of racing, let's hope it pays off. I wonder how many others have gone to this extent?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141174/renault-2019-design-allnew-bar-power-steering

• Like 2

Well the "European" race often meant there were two races in one country so nothing new...

I suspect their long term aim will be for most of the races to be in the USA with a few outside and then rename it the "Formula 1 World Series"...

(And I am not jesting)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure. I know they want to increase popularity in the US, but I'm sure they realise that a US-centric series would be really daft. That's basically what Indycar is anyway!

Interesting gamble by Renault, another one hoping that pays off. Testing could be interesting.

Not sure. I know they want to increase popularity in the US, but I'm sure they realise that a US-centric series would be really daft. That's basically what Indycar is anyway!

Interesting gamble by Renault, another one hoping that pays off. Testing could be interesting.

Indy car does not equate to F1. Anyone with a deep enough pocket can buy the top Indy chassis, engine and other bits. F1 is meant o be prototype racing and mostly is, HAAS' deal with Ferrari and Red Bull/Torro Rosso excepted, although the transfer of parts is limited in each case. Engines can be bought from other manufacturers but the chassis is supposed to be an in-house build. Except where regulation permits you can build what you think will work. 

• RMweb Gold

Just read on planet F1 that Liberty may want to ditch F1 partially or completely .Makes sense,Maybe Bernie will return.who knows :scratchhead:

An unwanted child, then. Not enough commercial spinoff, and tv deals that reduce viewerships. Clever, that. Teams that, unlike football etc, have other clout so do not need to kow-tow to silly ideas, as they see them.

• Like 2

An unwanted child, then. Not enough commercial spinoff, and tv deals that reduce viewerships. Clever, that. Teams that, unlike football etc, have other clout so do not need to kow-tow to silly ideas, as they see them.

True, but then many of the silly ideas they are stuck with at present, originated with Ecclestone.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Indy car does not equate to F1. Anyone with a deep enough pocket can buy the top Indy chassis, engine and other bits. F1 is meant o be prototype racing and mostly is, HAAS' deal with Ferrari and Red Bull/Torro Rosso excepted, although the transfer of parts is limited in each case. Engines can be bought from other manufacturers but the chassis is supposed to be an in-house build. Except where regulation permits you can build what you think will work. 

It was a tongue in cheek comment, I didn't intend a rule by rule comparison of how they're not the same!

• Like 2