New Year, New Start. ( boxfile layout )

Hi Everyone.

After a time away from modelling due to illness and other life problems I'm happy to report I'm back and feeling much better.

I'm going to build a small micro layout but its still in the ideas stage.

More to follow.......

A Happy new year to all.

Jerry.

Hi Clover, thanks for your reply and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you like my micro layouts, I have a lot of things I got very cheaply at a car boot sale so I'm trying to use them in the layout.

More soon.

Jerry.

Thanks Slug for your reply.

Hi Everyone.

I have been thinking about the design of my new layout and I'm thinking along the lines of a boxfile layout so that I can add more boxfiles to it.

I'm going to Sainsbury's this morning to purchase one and then I can start.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm going to make a engine shed first as this is going to be the end of the line, then I'm going to add to it with other boxfiles once I have completed one.

So far I have purchased the first boxfile so a start will be made tomorrow.

As for theme, small steam locos early diesel shunters will be used mainly set in the 50's-60's.

Jerry.

Thanks Bookinghall.

Hi Everyone.

Work will start on phase one of my boxfile modular layout today, this will be a small engine shed with the usual facilities, such as coaling, water etc.

I'm going to put 5mm mdf in the boxfile as a baseboard.

Track plan wise it will be a Y point leading into two roads to the low relief engine shed.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone.

I have been busy this week but I have got the baseboard cut and found my track so hopefully this weekend I can do some more.

I have also been gathering bits for the layout too out of my "junk box".

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone.

Just a quick progress report, I have added the baseboard to the boxfile ( 5mm MDF ) and cut the hole ( which I have to make a bit bigger later ) for trains to pass through.

Here is a quick photo:

post-9096-0-23840300-1547199232_thumb.jpg

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 5

Hi Luke,

My boxfile I bought in Wilkinson and the ends are just thick cardboard similar to the cardboard at the end of a writing pad.

I just used a heavy duty Stanley knife and a steel ruler, if you have a boxfile with wooden ends it's slightly trickier and if you have access to a jigsaw it's a whole lot easier, if not you will have to drill holes and then use a hacksaw to cut through, be careful though as it's very easy to cut through the top.

I hope that helps and go for it, they are good fun.

Jerry.

Hi Luke,

My boxfile I bought in Wilkinson and the ends are just thick cardboard similar to the cardboard at the end of a writing pad.

I just used a heavy duty Stanley knife and a steel ruler, if you have a boxfile with wooden ends it's slightly trickier and if you have access to a jigsaw it's a whole lot easier, if not you will have to drill holes and then use a hacksaw to cut through, be careful though as it's very easy to cut through the top.

I hope that helps and go for it, they are good fun.

Jerry.

Thanks, that's very helpful. That's the only thing that puts me off from a boxfile layout