Cake Box 2019 - Round One

• Administrators

Rules

• The model must fit in a standard 8 by 8 by 6 inch cake box
  • It must include 2 items with a railway connection
  • You should follow the theme "Waiting for a train". How you interpret that is up to you.

You have until 31st March to build your model. Entries and voting will take place in April. A build thread on RMweb or elsewhere isn't essential but might help garner support ahead of the vote.

We aren't judging this, the result will be determined by public vote.

Prizes to be determined, we'll raid the BRM review cupboard for one.

The next round will launch on April 1st. Each round will be treated as a separate competition so don't feel you have to have a go at all, or even most, of them.

Photos of the models will appear in Warners publications, especially the BRM Express newsletter. 

Good Luck and happy modelling.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Wailing for a train?

See:

- Northern Rail

- RMweb wishlists

- Bob Marley

On the official challenge theme, I suppose you could also have:

- Madness - (Waiting for the) Ghost Train.

OK - perhaps not - but, at the end of last year, I seem to recall Phil saying something about exactly what sort of train people are waiting for also being open-ended. For instance, this wouldn't rule out trams and the like, or even one of those hackneyed scenes at train depot open days when visitors see a loco bodyshell being carried over their heads by a crane.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that anyone builds one of those "flying loco" scenes (even if I think I might still have a photo of one - 56050 or 56058, I think - at Crewe in July, 1987) - but, if you really want to, I doubt if young Mr. Parker would have any problems with your choice ... .

Anyway, as I might have mentioned at the end of last year, I've actually got other ideas about this theme - some based around scenes in a now-demolished tram factory (trams - or their bodyshells - being moved around, while workers wait to assemble or paint them) - another loosely based on a real incident (in which an inspection railcar sustained repairable damage, leading to its scrapping - "waiting for the train ... to move").

I'm sure I could think of  better ideas than these - so I don't doubt that many people here could think of much better ideas. For me, the biggest issue is likely to be finding time to build the things.

I hope nobody minds another random thought. The current theme is "waiting for the train" - on a related subject, I could imagine some people who pay to travel on some lines hoping that a future theme might be "scenes we'd like to see" (think "Mock the Week" ...). For a number of people, I wonder if such a scene might involve a train turning up at their local station (allegedly).

Thoughts like these aside, it'll be interesting to see what ideas some people come up with - for the current challenge and for future ones.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

I like the theme - it was of course hinted at in the other thread so I suppose we could have already started in the hope that it was officially announced as the first theme - needless to say I haven’t. Anyway, my ideas range from a straight interpretation (a model of a halt with passengers waiting - a bit obvious so would probably need to be based on an actual location to give it a bit more interest) through various convoluted scenarios where people are still basically ‘waiting for a train’ but where the type of train is less conventional (freight, model, heritage etc). I’ve also thought of a couple of slightly silly ones where the sense of the word ‘waiting’ is different. Hopefully I will be able to resurrect my never built ‘sawn-off DMU’ idea from last year, not least because the stock for it has already been ‘prepared’. The deadline means I should have plenty of time to think about it but the actual build may take place fairly late (probably only building one for the first theme).

Hmm... A concept I've often thought would make a good model would be the early days of a preserved railway, a la the Bluebell in its early days. A couple of scrapyard condition locos in the yard, a coach under restoration... and some enthusiasts waiting for the day when they can take their first train along the restored line.

• Like 3

Will there be a new area to post progress pics etc or do we post on the same cake box forum?

I have moved the 2018 entries into an 'archive' area - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/337-2018-cakebox-challenge/

Use the main Cakebox area for current entries - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/330-brmrmweb-cakebox-challenge/ and after each quarter I'll create an archive for each of the comps.

• Like 2

I have moved the 2018 entries into an 'archive' area - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/337-2018-cakebox-challenge/

Use the main Cakebox area for current entries - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/330-brmrmweb-cakebox-challenge/ and after each quarter I'll create an archive for each of the comps.

Can we still post in the archived bit for additions to existing cakeboxes?

• Like 1