Cake Box 2019 - Round One

"So Gentlemen, to your modelling boards"...no Ladies allowed then?

I have already started a little diorama to test out some ideas for a possible future layout, so may use that for Cakebox-2, but the last one took almost a year to (not quite) complete...

Rules

• The model must fit in a standard 8 by 8 by 6 inch cake box
  • It must include 2 items with a railway connection
  • You should follow the theme "Waiting for a train". How you interpret that is up to you.

You have until 31st March to build your model. Entries and voting will take place in April. A build thread on RMweb or elsewhere isn't essential but might help garner support ahead of the vote.

We aren't judging this, the result will be determined by public vote.

Prizes to be determined, we'll raid the BRM review cupboard for one.

The next round will launch on April 1st. Each round will be treated as a separate competition so don't feel you have to have a go at all, or even most, of them.

Photos of the models will appear in Warners publications, especially the BRM Express newsletter. 

Good Luck and happy modelling.

Great theme and I will give it a go. Has a description of about 200 words to be included ?

Quick question are any of the Cakebox Challenge going to actual feature in the BRM magazine. As I got the latest Issue February 2019 thinking that, the 2018 Challengle would be in it. I thought that Phil had mention that it would feature in this issue. Having scanned it cover to cover I can't see any 2018 Cakebox Challenge in this issue. Confused of Ipswich.

Quick question are any of the Cakebox Challenge going to actual feature in the BRM magazine. As I got the latest Issue February 2019 thinking that, the 2018 Challengle would be in it. I thought that Phil had mention that it would feature in this issue. Having scanned it cover to cover I can't see any 2018 Cakebox Challenge in this issue. Confused of Ipswich.

The results were in the January issue. Was there going to be more in the February one?

Sorry - lack of space pushed them out. We have featured a lot more models over the last year so all you'd be getting is more of the same.

Thanks Phil, I just was a little confused & imagined that I had read it some where. Quick question will the 2018 Cakebox Challenge be in the next issue.

Thanks again Confused of Ipswich.

• Administrators

Thanks Phil, I just was a little confused & imagined that I had read it some where. Quick question will the 2018 Cakebox Challenge be in the next issue.

Thanks again Confused of Ipswich.

No, but it will be in the free BRM Express newsletter that goes out next week. We are planning BRMs much further ahead than in the past and when we looked at March, nothing had been decided about Cakebox 2019.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Could Stubby and the RMWeb team be persuaded to invite some of the top entries of this round to the RMWeb Members Day in Taunton at the end of April?

Tasty pasty as a supplementary prize for first, second, third, fourth etc. place?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Could Stubby and the RMWeb team be persuaded to invite some of the top entries of this round to the RMWeb Members Day in Taunton at the end of April?

Tasty pasty as a supplementary prize for first, second, third, fourth etc. place?

Nice idea...

At the last competition I had the same problem in Germany and so I just built my Cake Box myself. To compare size, I had submitted a photo with scales. After all, my Cake Box made it to BRM Challange

Edited by Bergmann
  • Informative/Useful 1

You can build your model  to any scale you like as long as it will fit into the 8 x 8 x 6 inch space.  Part of the fun of the Cakebox Challenge is the amazing variety of interpretations that this encourages.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2019 at 16:19, Captain Kernow said:

Hi all, As suggested by the good Captain himself,  we would like to invite members who will be attending the SWAG event in Taunton, on 28th April, to bring their Cakebox Challenge entries to form a display. These can be from 2018,  or the Q1 2019 challenge

• RMweb Premium

With just over a fortnight to go, could I ask how the submission process will work this time round?  I've not been involved in any previous challenges, but noted when the challenge was introduced that further instructions would be issued when we got nearer the deadline.

PS: This DOES NOT mean I'm anywhere near finished - just that the diary for the next two weeks looks a bit busy already.

PPS: I also suspect there my be technical issues preventing me from receiving RM Express again (despite Phil Parker's personal help previously), so anything in RM Express may pass me by...

Thanks, Keith.

• Agree 1

Presumably it will still consist of emailing in 3 photos (including one showing that the model fits in the box/is the right size) plus 200 word description. It’s looking increasingly unlikely that I will actually get anything built for the first quarter but I should be taking part again later in the year when I’m less busy.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

There aren't a huge number of completed ones in the forum, so hopefully we will see a nice flurry of activity before the end of March..

I've some thoughts around building one of my own.. So roll on round 2 :)

Now that we are getting close to the deadline for entries, how do we enter our definitive set of 3 photos and the 200 word essay? 

Do we add them to our existing build threads or do we have to enter them somewhere else?