Cake Box 2019 - Round One

Just now, Dickon said:

Now that we are getting close to the deadline for entries, how do we enter our definitive set of 3 photos and the 200 word essay? 

Do we add them to our existing build threads or do we have to enter them somewhere else?

• RMweb Gold

Just bumping this comment:

As suggested by the good Captain himself,  we would like to invite members who will be attending the SWAG event in Taunton, on 28th April, to bring their Cakebox Challenge entries to form a display. These can be from  2018,  or the Q1 2019 challenge.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2019 at 08:34, Phil Parker said:

Rules

• The model must fit in a standard 8 by 8 by 6 inch cake box
  • It must include 2 items with a railway connection
  • You should follow the theme "Waiting for a train". How you interpret that is up to you.

You have until 31st March to build your model. Entries and voting will take place in April. A build thread on RMweb or elsewhere isn't essential but might help garner support ahead of the vote.

With just 4 days to the deadline how do we post our entries?  Do  we just add our final 3 photos + 200 words to our build threads or do we have to post a 'formal' entry somewhere else?

• Administrators

Sorry - I've been a bit snowed under over the last few weeks and since this is essentially a project for my spare time now, I'm a bit behind.

Entries will be e-mailed to me the same way as they were for last years competition. 3 photos + 200(ish) words to phil.parker@warnersgroup.co.uk

I'll put together the web pages and then get Andy Y to set up a voting system as before. 

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

In other cake box news, at the weekend, our Exhibitions team demanded a cake box display be part of our stand, so they could show off their effort. 

Box 1_1500.jpg

Not a bad effort for a group who had never built a model between them. Most importantly, they enjoyed it, although Sam is complaining her desk is covered in superglue, and are rightly proud of their efforts. For those who know the team, you can play spot the person as these are ModelU figures. Many more of you might recognise the photographer on the station. 

• Like 9

A brilliantly simple idea - and great fun to do.

But having joined in the challenge again I wonder if it has run its course?

Twenty one threads this time - can we expect more or less for the next three challenges?

Are there many watching ready to take the plunge for the next theme?

Little coverage this time in BRM - has the team moved on to other thoughts?

I will watch for the next theme - but not sure I'll be building this time

Pete 

I hope the challenge keeps going. Even though I failed to finish my diorama for last years challenge, it is still a work in progress and might be suitable for entry in a future one. I have also started another diorama, and am in the planning stages of a third.

So although I have yet to finish an entry so far, mostly due to health, family and work issues eating into modelling time. At least - for me - there is the aspirational aspect of the challenges and the vicarious enjoyment of everyone else's excellent entries.

Bill_j:huh:

Edited by Bill_J
spelled my name incorrectly
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

"Laser Cutting"

Featuring the Feb Four from BRM issue February 2019.

Santa and his Helper are on their way to the Christmas Fayre in the Village Hall Children's Christmas Party in the Depot's canteen.

The driver and fireman, just hit with a ball thrown by the driver, have helped to clear the track of snow and are now waiting for the train to take then back to the depot.

Inspired by having to wait for the train to the Warley Show 2019 due to snow sheep on the line and

Snow (1963) by Geoffrey Jones (video below).

755154741_IMG_0915(1).JPG.301f670a7c762ccae8889263a32e1dd0.JPG

image.png.e4688bf4a01856623fdca76f4ada6bdb.png

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Further to the above.

Each member of the BRM Team in my diorama of "Laser Cutting" have had some additional detailing.  Being set in the early sixties, Santa (aka the photographer) is winding the film on in his Brownie 127.  His Helper is looking at a folded map to find the route down to the village.  He has a knapsack full of Huntley & Palmers biscuit tins for the Children's Christmas Party and the largest one is down in the snow by his feet.  Both driver and fireman have put on their winter jackets although the driver has his wide open - too hot from throwing snowballs I suspect!

The bridge was made from laser cut rails that came with a Torri Laser viaduct kit that I have already made.  They were an extra ones and were recut to make the required shape for the bridge over the track.  The base was a strip of thin plasticard with notches cut in the side edges to take the posts.

Will try and get some additional photos.

Edited by southern42
change of Name

• Administrators

Update: Thanks for all the entries for round one - keep sending them in please to phil.parker@warnersgroup.co.uk. 

Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to make the pages up over the weekend but I'll get this sorted next week.

I did record the video to introduce round 2, but I'll wait until after noon to put it up. We don't want you thinking it's an April Fool!

• Like 1

• Administrators

The entries I have so far have been uploaded to the web and can be found here:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/information/brm-cake-box-challenge-2019-round-1-list-of-entries

If you can get yours in by the weekend, I'll set up the rest of the pages and we'll look at voting next week. I'll also do my best to raid the office for a prize when in there.

3 photos and 200 words to phil.parker@warnersgroup.co.uk

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Laser Cutting and the Feb Four had a few finishing touches, today.  All sides of the cake box diorama were painted for photographing from different angles although, I am struggling to get a good one!  What the eye sees is not translating into replicate photos.

The snow on the footbridge rails turned brown overnight.  The colour of the MDF gave the creosote look I wanted so I did not paint/prime the rails.  I cleaned most of the snow off and tried again with Deluxe Materials Micro Balloons - still looking brownish.  On the other hand, maybe(?), creosote would discolour snow and I have a realistic effect after all.

The snow: I used both Woodland Scenics Foam Putty that we use for infill on our layouts and Deluxe Materials Create & Shape used on Kathy Millatt's modelling snow youtube videos.  It seems the products are the same sort of thing.  At least they work, so they will not go to waste!

Santa's Brownie 127 camera, which was buried underneath all that fur, was made a little more prominent and Santa's Li'l Helper's knapsack was painted in more of a 1960's colour.

Just waiting for the everything to dry out...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

The entries I have so far have been uploaded to the web and can be found here:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/information/brm-cake-box-challenge-2019-round-1-list-of-entries

If you can get yours in by the weekend, I'll set up the rest of the pages and we'll look at voting next week. I'll also do my best to raid the office for a prize when in there.

3 photos and 200 words to phil.parker@warnersgroup.co.uk

Are you saying the closing date is now next weekend, not 31st March?

• Administrators

I'm trying to be helpful. There are a couple of people being tardy, on of whom is me. I'm going to be extra slow by the end of the week as there is a garden railway to build on Friday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I'm trying to be helpful. There are a couple of people being tardy, on of whom is me. I'm going to be extra slow by the end of the week as there is a garden railway to build on Friday. 

Very much appreciated Phil, I am guilty of being tardy, but not intentionally.

Kind regards

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators

Voting is now open

We'll allow a couple of weeks for this, which allows me to get into the office and liberate a prize from the cupboard of good things. 

In the meantime, feel free to engage in social media campaigns to persuade people to vote for you. All publicity for the competition is useful and we might even inspire more people to have a go in the future. 

• Like 2

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:50, southern42 said:

"Laser Cutting"

Featuring the Feb Four from BRM issue February 2019.

Santa and his Helper are on their way to the Christmas Fayre in the Village Hall Children's Christmas Party in the Depot's canteen.

The driver and fireman, just hit with a ball thrown by the driver, have helped to clear the track of snow and are now waiting for the train to take then back to the depot.

Inspired by having to wait for the train to the Warley Show 2019 due to snow sheep on the line and

Snow (1963) by Geoffrey Jones (video below).

755154741_IMG_0915(1).JPG.301f670a7c762ccae8889263a32e1dd0.JPG

image.png.e4688bf4a01856623fdca76f4ada6bdb.png

Haha

Hi southern42

Very nice, it also reminded me of the newly released 2018 Uncirculated 50p coin (so no you will not come across it in your change, sadly) by the Royal Mint which I feel carries a similar theme.

Hopefully you will find that they have been attached to this thread. I nice Bill board advertising the 50p coin would have been good had it have been a station building or part of don't you think...!?!

Love it theme, very nice.

Regards

Jamie

uk18smbu_a.jpg

uk18smsp_a.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

The Prize

Cakeboxprize.jpg

I've been into the office this week and liberated a small box of new Hornby Skale Scenics products including some static grass, a couple of colours of foliage and some trees. I'll post these to the winner. We'll also have half a page in the June issue of BRM for the winner and some runners up. 

Voting closes in a week, 5pm on Friday. 

• Like 4