German Layout Idea

bodmin65

Hi everyone,

would just like some opinions from others about this plan of mine for a ho scale micro layout . It would be 8ft long by 1ft wide and using stock from era 5 to 6.

Is it viable as an idea?

post-33296-0-86522500-1546358542_thumb.jpg

Edited by bodmin65

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Firstly I'd say 8 feet is quite long for a 'micro' layout in h0, but that's to split hairs. It looks manageable and you'd actually get decent length trains in, except you only have 1 foot each end which would not fit a loco and two wagons, or a loco and a bogie carriage (a railbus would fit though, and you could stick to 4-wheel 'Kleinloks'). But with a layout this size you need to be able to get more than one wagon into your trains, really.

Secondly I think it would be worth giving us an idea what you think you will be running on the layout. It looks like a through station with a loop and a goods handling area. But that's to speculate. What kinds of services do you plan? Where in Germany: flatland, mountains, West, East?

Hope this is helpful.

By the way, I wanted to recommend Peco's recent book 'Modelling German Railways' but it is perversely lacking any 'classic' small layout plans! The identically titled 'Modelling German Railways' by Chris Ellis has about ten useful track plans, and lots of the background info that helps when deciding what to do. It looks a bit scrappy but don't be put off. I bought a copy from here: http://www.modeltrainsinternational.co.uk/

Cheers

Ben

• Like 2

Hi,

not sure if such a layout would be realistic. Obviously, the topmost track is to connect the factory, but the middle track is quite useless, because it is not accessible from either side.

Here are some examples of real layouts, all from privately operated lines, so they were designed very economically and real "micro" layouts.

All these layouts are located in Baden-Württemberg, south-west of Germany.

img_20190101_200149d4f7v.jpg

Merklingen is only about 200m long. EG is "Empfangsgebäude" station building, GS is "Güterschuppen" freight shed, Raiffeisen LH is a agriculture trade building.

img_20190101_200233p8flq.jpg

Bröckingen has about the same size.

img_20190101_200244h7dn3.jpg

Gaildorf has both functions "sequentially", it is only 2 tracks wide. The length is also about 300m.

img_20190101_200331leeph.jpg

Gussenstadt is even smaller and has only three turnouts.

img_20190101_200354ntijs.jpg

Kochendorf is really minimalistic. The bypass is also used to supply the company named Hänel. Another factory is "Gebr. Bachert".

img_20190101_2005252if2r.jpg

Heimerdingen is only about two miles from my home. It has actually three companies with their own tracks.

If you need any further information or translation, just ask...

Michael

Edited by michl080
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, the middle track in the original plan looks a little squeezed. If you keep the general track plan as you proposed, I'd recommend that you provide more room between the loop and the industrial track, so that you can fit a road in between, with place to transfer goods between rail and road vehicles. The Merklingen and Bröckingen plans above look better in terms of operational potential. Or you add a track to the Gussenstadt plan, but opposite to track 2.

The links on http://www.dorfbahnhof.de/fka.html may serve as inspiration, even though I haven't found any track plans there.

• Like 1