High Dyke Signal Box measurements

I'm planning a 'what if' layout based on the High Dyke mineral line, which will include a signal box based on the one at the junction with the ECML. I've had a couple of goes at estimating measurements and making drawings, but they all seem to be wrong, maybe because I am assuming standard door sizes etc. I am guessing there are standard LNER box types, so does anyone have the dimensions of that particular type of box?

Many thanks in advance....

June 1978 I believe was the date of the RM article, wasn’t a bad reference from what I can remember, didn’t know there were any major errors in it.

If you want some modelled inspiration, there was a Model Railways article on Roy Jackson et al’s version of it in about 1982, that was a masterpiece in itself but a mere shadow of what followed from them.

June 1978 I believe was the date of the RM article, wasn’t a bad reference from what I can remember, didn’t know there were any major errors in it.

If you want some modelled inspiration, there was a Model Railways article on Roy Jackson et al’s version of it in about 1982, that was a masterpiece in itself but a mere shadow of what followed from them.

The box was extended to accommodate a larger lever frame. The locking room window became offset from centre. The drawing shows it in the centre.

Scroll through this for some excellent pictures...

http://www.tracksthroughgrantham.uk/railway-life-at-grantham/signal-boxes-and-signalling/my-early-recollections-of-working-on-the-railway/

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I used the Railway Modeller drawing to make this model, about the time it was published.  It's mainly built of card and paper so it's lasted fairly well, although the staircase handrail is a bit wonky at the top!  I've sometimes wondered whether the window cleaning platform was a bit wide, but then again perhaps not.  These things were sometimes added at a later date.  Ignore the nameboard on the model, that's another story!

post-31-0-06513500-1546432318.jpg

Coincidentally there's a mention of this box in Great Northern News No. 223, the journal of the Great Northern Railway Society.  The box was originally built in 1881 and controlled the end of the Up Slow from Grantham, and was extended to 40 levers when it became the junction for the High Dyke iron ore branch which opened in 1915.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

OK, I've now dug out the June 1978 Railway Modeller with the drawing in and can give a few dimensions from the drawing which I hope the OP might find useful.  I'm assuming he's modelling in 4mm scale, which is the scale that the drawing is reproduced at.

Overall length of main structure - 89mm

Length of original part of building - 59mm

Length including upstairs lavatory extension - 102mm

Overall width - 46mm

Height of front & back walls - 64mm

Height to top of end gable - 81mm

Height to operating floor level - 29mm

Height to bottom of operating floor windows - 36mm

Height to top of operating floor windows - 59mm

I hope the above helps; if any more dimensions needed please let me know.

I don't think there was such a thing as a standard LNER box and in any case it was built by the Great Northern.  They didn't have standard signal box designs either although several were built to some of the various types, and a lot of them tended to have a 'family likeness'.

OK, I've now dug out the June 1978 Railway Modeller with the drawing in and can give a few dimensions from the drawing which I hope the OP might find useful.  I'm assuming he's modelling in 4mm scale, which is the scale that the drawing is reproduced at.

Overall length of main structure - 89mm

Length of original part of building - 59mm

Length including upstairs lavatory extension - 102mm

Overall width - 46mm

Height of front & back walls - 64mm

Height to top of end gable - 81mm

Height to operating floor level - 29mm

Height to bottom of operating floor windows - 36mm

Height to top of operating floor windows - 59mm

I hope the above helps; if any more dimensions needed please let me know.

I don't think there was such a thing as a standard LNER box and in any case it was built by the Great Northern.  They didn't have standard signal box designs either although several were built to some of the various types, and a lot of them tended to have a 'family likeness'.

Many thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I realised after I posted my question that it should have read ‘Great Northern’...oops.

I will build mine in its original form, but looking a little careworn as the layout will be set in the early 60’s.

• Like 1