New ESU V60 0-6-0 diesel shunter in H0 scale with V5 Loksound decoder

Allegheny1600

I commented earlier that the Roco V60 shunter would still take some beating with Brawa, ESu and Piko bringing out new models soon/recently.

However, it seems I must eat my words!

Roughly translated by Google;

"The H0 model of DB V60 is not just "back", but a completely redesigned model. Many customers had in recent years the desire to bring us to include the V60 back into the program. Two years ago, we decided to rebuild the locomotive from scratch - and avoid the "mistakes" of the past. The result is a beautifully detailed model of the DB V60 in all-metal construction: chassis and stems are made entirely of metal. A powerful bell-armed engine with flywheel ensures proper traction and best low-speed handling. Equipped with two electro-magnetic digital couplings, which can now be height-adjusted in two stages, as well as extensive lighting functions (for the first time also with engine lighting), this ensures a lot of manoeuvring on the system. A newly designed, aerodynamically optimized smoke generator ensures powerful smoke emission. The ESU V60 is the world's first model equipped with the new LokSound 5 decoder. Its new sound engine with 16-bit hi-fi sound quality perfectly reproduces the sounds of the V60 with two "sugar cube" loudspeakers. These are located directly behind the fan grill of the front porch. Like all ESU Engineering Edition locomotives, the V60 can also be used on all DC and AC systems, has a "PowerPack" for bridging dirty rails and, in addition to DCC with RailComPlus, also supports M4, Motorola and Selectrix. 

In addition, from February, the new Loksound 5 decoder 

The LokSound decoder of the fifth generation has been completely redeveloped. By using a new, powerful 32-bit processor, all the features of the previously known LokSound decoders have been significantly improved: LokSound 5 decoders play up to 10 sound channels simultaneously, each channel achieving hi-fi quality thanks to 16-bit resolution and 31250Hz sample rate, With a LokSound 5 decoder, the sound quality and dynamic range of your locomotives will almost match the original. 128 Mbit noise storage provide enough capacity. 

LokSound 5 decoders feature even better engine load control with up to 50 kHz clock speed and noise-optimized motor control so that in the future even bell anchor or gauge 1 engines with excellent low-speed driving characteristics will drive silently. 

LokSound 5 decoders have numerous outputs for controlling light and additional functions and can control RC servos or SUSI modules as required. 

In addition, every LokSound 5 decoder is a true multi-protocol decoder with all four known data formats: in addition to DCC with RailComPlus, they all understand the M4 format and automatically log on to modern Märklin® control units. Support for Motorola® and Selectrix® makes it possible to use it with older control panels. Furthermore, every (even N track!) LokSound 5 decoder can be run on analogue DC and AC systems. The desired operating mode is automatically detected. 

Depending on the central unit, up to 32 functions are possible, which can be assigned any special functions with the uniquely flexible ESU function mapping. Three new, individually adjustable brake controls, as well as a two-stage heavy-load simulation, bring just as much joy of playing as the new random functions, with the help of which light effects can also be controlled at random. To meet the different sizes and power requirements of the vehicles, LokSound 5 decoders are offered in various versions."

Sounds highly impressive and far better than ESU's previous release of this loco.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am glad they haven't given up on this. By their own admission, their first attempt was too advanced for the technology...too much functionality to fit into such a small body. As such, mark I wasn't a success. I have a couple of their offerings (their Ludmilla is by far and away the best model I have...the sound is exceptional), so this is definitely 'on the list'.

• RMweb Premium

I understand the urge to pack as much in as possible, but (maybe as a result) the modelling is not matching the fireworks. The detailing and shaping of the end footsteps, walkway, handrails and warning panels is important for this loco and the photos don't give the impression that has turned out better than Roco's model. The V60's bufferbeam is in the same style as Einheitsdampfloks -- it's a U lying on its side and only connected to the end crossmember of the frames from the back; the walkway above should be independent of it with 'air' between. And unfortunately in the still for the video above the light has caught a moulding line running right up the exhaust :-( I guess we need to wait for the rest of the contestants to turn up to see whether anyone has truly refined the conventional aspects of the modelling. That's not to say it's not a lovely little model, of course :-)

• Like 1

NOTE:

Could be false but what if it's not!!

A translation of a German document.

Another list I am on had someone post this translation of an official announcement from ESU.

The bit that interests me is the replacement program at the bottom - you have to the end of February ...

******* begin quote **********

here is the official announcement from ESU:

Our 5th generation of LokSound has been developed from scratch again. Thanks to a high performance, 32-Bit microcontroller, we have been able to improve all key features again: LokSound 5 decoders will support up to 10 simultanous sound channels. Each channel will reach HiFi-Quality level thanks to 16 Bit Resolution and 31250 Hz sample frequency. LokSound 5 decoders will bring your model trains to the next level and sound almost like the original.. A 128 Mbit flash memory chip allows for enough capacity to hold the sounds

LokSound 5 decoders offer an advanced B-EMF load control that runs with up to 50 kHz base frequency and is optimized for low-noise operation. This is important for coreless motors such as Faulhaber or Maxon and also for Large scale locomotives. Every LokSound 5 decoder comes with plenty of function outputs and can control servos or SUSI-modules if needed.

Every LokSound 5 decoder is a true Quad-Mode Decoder that talks DCC with RailComPlus and M4 and will be automatically registered with Märklin® command stations. As these decoders do also support Motorola® and Selectrix®, they can be used also with older Digital Command Stations. Even better, every LokSound 5 decoder could also be used with Analog DC or Analog AC controllers (even the small N scale decoder!)

Based on the command station, up to 32 function buttons are supported that can be mapped to any output due to our superior ESU function mapping. Three brake functions and a two-stage load simulation will let you enjoy your model railroad even more.

As there is different scales around, we will offer several LokSound 5 decoder versions:

LokSound 5 L DCC/MM/SX/M4 "Blank decoder", Pinheader with adapter, Retail, Gauge: 0,: Week 05/2019. recommended retail 179,99 €

LokSound 5 DCC/MM/SX/M4 "Blank decoder", 8-pin NEM652, Retail, with speaker 11x15mm, Gauge: 0, H0,: Week 04/2019, 99,99 €

LokSound 5 DCC/MM/SX/M4 "Blank decoder", PluX22, Retail, with speaker 11x15mm, Gauge: 0, H0,: Week 08/2019. 99,99 €

LokSound 5 DCC/MM/SX/M4 "Blank decoder", 6-pin NEM651, Retail, with speaker 11x15mm, Gauge: 0, H0,: Week 04/2019, 99,99 €

LokSound 5 DCC/MM/SX/M4 "Blank decoder", 21MTC NEM660, Retail, with speaker 11x15mm, Gauge: 0, H,0: Week 04/2019, 99,99 €

LokSound 5 DCC/MM/SX/M4 "Blank decoder", 21MTC "MKL", Retail with speaker, Gauge: 0, H0,: Week 08/2019. 99,99 €

LokSound 5 XL DCC/MM/SX/M4 "Blank decoder", Screw Terminal, Gauge: G, I,: Week 05/2019, 209,99 €

LokSound 5 XL DCC/MM/SX/M4 "Blank decoder", PInheader, Gauge: G, I,: Week 05/2019, 209,99 €

LokSound 5 micro DCC/MM/SX/M4 "Blank decoder", 8-pin NEM652, Retail with speaker 11x15mm, Gauge: 0, H0,: Week 10/2019, 109,99 €

LokSound 5 micro DCC/MM/SX/M4 "Blank decoder", PluX16, Retail, with speaker 11x15mm, Gauge: 0, H0,: Week 10/2019, 109,99 €

LokSound 5 micro DCC/MM/SX/M4 "Blank decoder", 6-pin NEM651, Retail, with speaker 11x15mm, Gauge: 0, H0,: Week 10/2019, 109,99 €

LokSound 5 micro DCC/MM/SX/M4 "Blank decoder", Next18, Retail, with speaker 11x15mm, Gauge: 0, H0,: Week 10/2019, 109,99 €

Until end of February, we will replace all existing LokSound V4.0 decoders with the new generation. Further details about the decoders (technical data, Users instructions) as well as an updated sound data base including new LokProgrammer Software version will be published on our website within January 2019.

The German original should be interpreted to mean to something more like:

''Between now and the end of February we will be replacing all the V4.0 decoders in our range with equivalent V5.0 decoders''.

There is no customer exchange programme, that's a fantasy dreampt up by wishful thinkers. And 'Google Translate'. LOL

Best regards,

Paul

The German original should be interpreted to mean to something more like:

''Between now and the end of February we will be replacing all the V4.0 decoders in our range with equivalent V5.0 decoders''.

There is no customer exchange programme, that's a fantasy dreampt up by wishful thinkers. And 'Google Translate'. LOL

Best regards,

Paul

Paul is correct, it states ESU are replacing their V4 with the V5. Vauxhall dont take back your old car when you buy a new one!!!!  (I Wish)  The same happend years ago with the V3.5 replaced by the V4.   We have had for some months a V5 decoder fot trials.  Our new REALTRACK Class 156 project for Provincial & East Midlands trains is using the V5 decoder with Multiple passenger announcements, far better than the ScotRail 156 that was on the V4.    Charlie (Legoman & Realtrack Models)

• RMweb Premium

The Piko BR 364 (Era 5) is reviewed in Eisenbahn Kurier 2/2019. Looks good; inside it is much tidier than the ESU model. Price in Germany is 260 EUR with all bells and whistles (no smoke though).

Again massive flanges. The H0 manufacturers must get a constant stream of complaints from users with poor track that their locos derail, because the NEM standard is quite flexible on this dimension and I'm sure they are far from reaching the minimum depth allowed (forget 'RP25').

It looks as if there is a bit more 'air' under the front walkway above the bufferbeam.

Again there is a moulding line down the middle of the exhaust cowling. Must be a fact of life for mouldings of this particular loco's body -- the Roco one has it too :-(

In passing, I think it's nice that these two manufacturers have started at opposite ends of the lifespan of the V60 :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Come on now, Pauliebanger, here’s a challenge!

This looks so much like the Janus, (which I am in the process of replicating from your Hornby Mag article), I think you need to go the whole way and get a smoke generator (or 2) in there :)

Alan.