14 hours ago, Leander said:

Thanks for making the trip Robert. I wish you'd made yourself known as you're one of the people in the hobby whose work has inspired me and provided much information, through the BRcoachingstock Yahoo group,  to enable the creation of realistic train formations, yet I've never knowingly met you.

I go to quite a few shows, but mostly those in the South East. I shall be at Woking and Scaleforum. In between, I shall be operating Harton Gill at Swansea. 

Leander, stop fretting.  No slack needs cutting.  No one is actually complaining.  The most anyone is doing is pointing out the few trivial things that prevented a superb show that, for many of us, will be the best show we attend this year becoming one of the best shows we will ever attend.

You and your fellow organizers and those who helped out and took part on the day should be extremely proud of what you achieved.

Now all you've got to do is follow it up next year . . .

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I didn't get to the show this year due to family duties and other commitments but it sounds like it was a good one.

It certainly sounds as if the move of venue has already improved attendance, which has to be a big step forward and well done to the organisers for stepping up and taking the show on.

When the Malcolm Crawley trophy was introduced it was for the best kitbuilt or scratchbuilt loco. There never were enough scratchbuilt locos around to make an award worth while for them alone. I don't know when it changed or why but perhaps it should be changed back.

One of several people I had expected to see there but didn't.  I missed your happy smiling countenance and lively banter:)

But not the potentially awkward questions..................................

3 minutes ago, 5050 said:

One of several people I had expected to see there but didn't.  I missed your happy smiling countenance and lively banter:)

But not the potentially awkward questions..................................

I agree, Expo with no t-b-g humour was rather odd!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Leander said:

It was based on a forecast attendance of 400 (higher than last year). We achieved 15.75% greater than the forecast.

It was our first year there. Cut us some slack guys!!

Better an under-forecast than an over-forecast! Even though it causes a few issues it's really something to be proud of.

• Thanks 1

Due to being abandoned by SWMBO I got to play trains for two full days :)

Well at least some of the time, thanks to Simon (Wainthrop Bridge) and Karl (Hebble Vale Goods). The rest of the time I busied myself with whatever seemed to be in need of doing, including supporting traders and EMGS members sales by spending mi pocket money :D.

All in all a couple of very enjoyable days stewarding, not least of which was a Crocodile Catering virgin experience; excellent in all respects.

Good to meet old friends and to make some new ones.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have only missed a handful of EXPO EM spring and autumn shows in the last 35 years but this time a combination of keeping an eye on my aged father in law plus a visit here to see the layout would have restricted me to a flying visit which wouldn't have done justice to the show. It is not the sort of show to be rushed.

Don't worry, I will keep some jokes safe and sound for a future occasion. No matter how much people beg me not to!

To be truthful, the event was probably better without my humour. Most events are.

• Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Don't worry, I will keep some jokes safe and sound for a future occasion. No matter how much people beg me not to!

To be truthful, the event was probably better without my humour. Most events are.

I was going to click an 'Agree' but at the last moment decided it would be rather rude................:mosking:

• Thanks 1

On 09/09/2019 at 15:37, mike morley said:

Now all you've got to do is follow it up next year . . .

We've already started to work on it but first there's the Modelling Day and AGM in Cardiff on November 30th to help sort out.

Thanks to all who have commented on the show or written supportive comments; as for one or two others, well you can please some people...

I think everyone had a sufficiently good time for me to be able to announce that expoEM Autumn 2020 will be held at the same venue, Kettlethorpe High School, and will take place over the weekend of Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th September. Only 366 days to go. Must go.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Having now returned home to a somewhat British weather system, I find it mildly amusing that I got home just as quickly as RobertCWP, 1700 to 2200, partly thanks to the Ryanair driver finding a short cut and delivering me to Alicante early!

The show was everything an EXPO should and could be, cracking layouts, a good selection of traders with money magnets concealed about their stands and catering, notwithstanding the glitches mentioned earlier, of the highest standard.

The highlight for me, (apart from meeting Porcy and Rick of course!), was the banking operation on Pelaw South of the ironstone fulls, complete with real 9F slipping on starting, but having said that, there wasn't a bad layout on show.

Having had a somewhat ropey year what with one thing and another, the mojo had slipped a tad, but after the weekend the tank was refilled and a re-commencement on Span Yard is being undertaken.

I spent a fair bit of time on the entrance desk and did an exit straw poll on a few visitors, all of whom said they had really enjoyed the exhibition and would be returning next year, so positivity all round. The one thing I don't understand though, why isn't the financial and logistics genius that is Bob Blood in charge of Brexit?!!!

Looking forward to next year.

Mike.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Having now returned home to a somewhat British weather system, I find it mildly amusing that I got home just as quickly as RobertCWP, 1700 to 2200, partly thanks to the Ryanair driver finding a short cut and delivering me to Alicante early!

The show was everything an EXPO should and could be, cracking layouts, a good selection of traders with money magnets concealed about their stands and catering, notwithstanding the glitches mentioned earlier, of the highest standard.

The highlight for me, (apart from meeting Porcy and Rick of course!), was the banking operation on Pelaw South of the ironstone fulls, complete with real 9F slipping on starting, but having said that, there wasn't a bad layout on show.

Having had a somewhat ropey year what with one thing and another, the mojo had slipped a tad, but after the weekend the tank was refilled and a re-commencement on Span Yard is being undertaken.

I spent a fair bit of time on the entrance desk and did an exit straw poll on a few visitors, all of whom said they had really enjoyed the exhibition and would be returning next year, so positivity all round. The one thing I don't understand though, why isn't the financial and logistics genius that is Bob Blood in charge of Brexit?!!!

Looking forward to next year.

Mike.

If you were on the entrance desk, how come our paths didn't cross - I was there all weekend......

Or were you trying to avoid me? :D