Far North Line in 1964

Ben Alder

Thanks Richard for posting this delightful piece of film, not least because at 13:26 there is a very brief shot of Wick's Stranraer type coal tower showing it in all it's neglected glory in colour.

I am just in the middle of building the Ratio kit based on this structure and I now have no excuse for wondering what colour to paint it - grotty black and filthy grey!.

Thanks again

Jim

Thanks Richard for posting this delightful piece of film, not least because at 13:26 there is a very brief shot of Wick's Stranraer type coal tower showing it in all it's neglected glory in colour.

I am just in the middle of building the Ratio kit based on this structure and I now have no excuse for wondering what colour to paint it - grotty black and filthy grey!.

Thanks again

Jim

I have seen another cine film that shows a passing glimpse of the coaler but can't remember where ATM. Here is a link to Ernies Archives that shows the Oban one looking much like the colours of the Wick one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/36939380995/in/album-72157688374962505/

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Richard, films like this are always useful to get the feel and atmosphere of the area and of the Scottish railways.

It's a shame the train wasn't just a little slower and the camera man didn't film some scenes just a wee tad longer as some of the detail flashes by before you can take it in.