Tickhill Lane Crossing

cakebox-challenge-inspiration.jpg?w=723

Photo © Foxfield Railway 2019

When browsing the all-new Foxfield Railway website (well worth a look, as is the actual railway) I found this picture. I thought pretty much instantly that the addition of a vehicle of some sort waiting on the country lane would be another take on ‘waiting for a train,’ in this case 'to pass so it can continue it's journey along the road.'

I’m not planning an exact copy, working more 'along the lines of.' I have, however, made a start by making the baseboard up of 3 laminations of foam board. I’ve also started the landscape, adding in the fields in each corner and have covered it in paper mache. It is now sat, drying, in the airing cupboard.

• Like 11

Looks like a good idea. I was thinking of doing some sort of level crossing, although probably relating to one of my ideas from last year. Unfortunately when I went to Foxfield last year the last train of the day didn’t run as there were only a few potential passengers (it was late and fairly bad weather, I had been elsewhere in the morning) but I hope to visit properly at some point.

Thanks, Danny. Based on how highly you speak of them, I've decided to use a few Scale Model Scenery products for the fences and gates. Also looking forward to giving static grass a proper go.

More work done today: painted the fields and added the underlay for where the track is going.

Edited by ModellerChris

Thanks, Luke. Based on how highly you speak of them, I've decided to use a few Scale Model Scenery products for the fences and gates. Also looking forward to giving static grass a proper go.

More work done today: painted the fields and added the underlay for where the track is going.

I’m not Luke - but yes, I would recommend the Scale Model Scenery products. I used their baseboards for mine last year.

Danny

Apologies Danny, post edited to put it right.

No worries - having seen some of Luke’s work on here I should take it as a compliment. :)

Back on topic, I’d be interested to see how the static grass goes. Last year I made a lot of use of the individual grass tufts by Mini Natur and then Peco but have yet to try ‘proper’ static grass.

Edited by 009 micro modeller

That photo looks a great basis for a Cakebox entry, ready made!

Similar to Kevin's winning entry with a view down a road, framed by trees. Yep, looking forward to this!

Al.

Thanks Al. I'm unsure how many trees I'll go for yet but I like the idea of the train emerging from an avenue of them on the right.

• Like 1

post-4969-0-90087400-1547405732_thumb.jpg

I hate ballasting. I absolutely hate it. Luckily, with the cake box being just 8 inches, it didn't take long.

It's a quick, and cruel, close up but it'll depict a not too well cared for line. A few weeds, a dash of weathering and it should do just fine. The track is Peco code 100, but I've very roughly respaced the sleepers. I'm no finescale modeller but I do prefer sleepers at the more correct spacing.

• Agree 1

IMG_20190113_182635.jpg

I hate ballasting. I absolutely hate it. Luckily, with the cake box being just 8 inches, it didn't take long.

It's a quick, and cruel, close up but it'll depict a not too well cared for line. A few weeds, a dash of weathering and it should do just fine. The track is Peco code 100, but I've very roughly respaced the sleepers. I'm no finescale modeller but I do prefer sleepers at the more correct spacing.

Looks good. Could you add a few cinders etc as these were sometimes used for ballast on light and/or industrial railways?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...