A country lane level crossing

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again for your kind comments.

The leaves are stuck with pva for the hedge, or Treemendus Scenic Cement for the loose leaves.

The gate will have a bit of weathering, but I'm imagining it would be well looked after over the years, so always looks presentable.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I've made a start on the new version of the garage.

20190319_125334.jpg.47ee8cf4e4205343e57ab8644ee46e1b.jpg

I love the atmosphere this scene is generating, I think the narrow gauge line works really well in the space, and the lane and run off area to the side come across really well in this view - very effective.

Just wondered, is it an optical illusion, or is the garage door narrower in this garage than in the other one with the double wooden doors? It may just be my eyesight of course - counting the squares suggests they're the same. Just curious.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Typo
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid it's your eyesight  - it's  the same wall with the doors removed.

I'll be cladding this in thin card to represent smooth render. For the 'old' version there will be patches where the render has fallen off.  The hard part is producing two convincing versions of the same building.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stu, I can only base my observations on the photos you provide, but to me that looks too busy for the back of the scene.

Maybe viewed in conjunction with the car and building, and from further back it looks OK, but that's my initial impression.

Al.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Al, an interesting observation.

I hope it will fade more into the background with the addition of the 3 Bills (yep, I've named him / them) and the car & garage.

Maybe also a better backscene (of sky & clouds), rather than the grey cutting mat, will also help.

Mind you, in 8 inches square, there's not much foreground/background to play with :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Have just thought... is the door actually wide enough?

How does it compare to the width of the Mini?

In my limited experience of garage doors, I would expect the doors to be a couple of feet wider than the width of the Mini - it is by modern standards quite a narrow car.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Kevin, but this version of the garage is supposed to be brand new, so all pristine & shiny.  There will be a few weeds/ grass around the base, just to blend in the building, but all the weathering and decay will be apparent on the 'old' version.

Just need to add the name board - R.M. Webb & Son - Garage Services - seems Bob 'Spider' Webb has moved on from Porth Byhan

porth_byhan.png.f7120ae48903bc8912653899b12ed224.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

How does it compare to the width of the Mini?

In my limited experience of garage doors, I would expect the doors to be a couple of feet wider than the width of the Mini - it is by modern standards quite a narrow car.

Al.

I've left the mini at home, but you're right, it should be wider.  Ah well...