Gaugemaster HF2 Electronic Track Cleaner - TWO DUDS?

Ohhhhhhhhhh! I'd sort of unilaterally decided that that socket was optional.....

Thanks guys, I take back everything I said about the seller's parentage.

The original Relco could be used with or without a separate 16v ac supply depending on how you wired it, but as you've found out, the Gaugemaster unit has to be separately powered.

Cheers Mozzer, the bulbs are soldered on - I think I'll let someone else tinker with it though.

I'm not surprised its faulty - I've since learnt that the seller's eBay feedback contains a fair few negative comments re: "working" products!

They are neon bulbs.

Useful in this application as high voltage indicators as they need about 80V or more across them to light.

Still used extensively as indicators in multi-gang mains extension leads where they provide a convenient low power method of 'Power On' indication.

• RMweb Premium

I'd suggest contacting Gaugemaster to check if their 'Lifetime Guarantee' is still in force for this product. I had a second hand single track version repaired by them under this guarantee a couple of years back. The only cost to me was posting it to them.

Regards,

John

I'd suggest contacting Gaugemaster to check if their 'Lifetime Guarantee' is still in force for this product. I had a second hand single track version repaired by them under this guarantee a couple of years back. The only cost to me was posting it to them.

Regards,

John

Cheers John, i thought that as they are both second hand they wouldn't be covered. The first one I got was basically free, this is the one that has since proved faulty (maybe just a dud bulb.)

Having gone to the effort of rewiring, I thought it a good idea to buy a replacement model and chalk the "free" one up to experience - this replacement model is the one that I currently have set up and working on the layout, thanks to the advice earlier in this thread.

What a saga!

The prequel is here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140695-gaugemaster-hf2-electronic-track-cleaner-worth-having/

Thank you for the suggestion :-)

Edited by Ray Von