Dapol 4D-009-HAT03 Class 121 DMU - Light Bleed Issue

davidprentice

Hi

Recently acquired a Dapol 4D-009-HAT03 Class 121 DMU in Railtrack Blue and Green Livery.

A beautiful model, but I have just run it and noticed that there is an issue of light bleed, with the cab lights in particular showing through the (lighter green) plastic of the cab.

Apologies for the blur - I only have DC at the moment!

post-33835-0-41771300-1546631810_thumb.jpg

Anyone able to advise on how easy or not to fix? I'm wary of causing damage in trying to remedy this issue which would be all the more pronounced in an unlit room / scene.

I'm assuming the answer would be to remove the body shell and give the inside of the cab ends a dose of black paint.

Like I say, it is a beautiful model, and such a shame that for all the detail that went into it, nobody would appear to have clocked the light bleed issue...

David

P.S. Anyone got any pointers on adding the camera and lamps that feature(d) on the prototype?

post-33835-0-50182100-1546631801_thumb.jpg

Edited by davidprentice

Silver foil around the interior should do it ?

Thanks, hadn't thought of that - probably easier and less faff than painting. Perhaps electrical tape or similar might also be a neat solution. When I get around to fixing it, I will try to remember to update with a bit of a 'what I did'.

• RMweb Gold

Just check the foil doesnt touch the pcb (ie avoid a short).

P.S. Anyone got any pointers on adding the camera and lamps that feature(d) on the prototype?

Bachmann make a cctv camera, is discounted many places

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/30298/44-523-Bachmann-CCTV-security-cameras

Paint it black.

Low tech...

For the lights, maybe use a plastic drinking straw, fill with a bit of plaster, trim to size and paint it silver ?

Medium tech..

A couple of grain of wheat bulbs in a plastic sheaf, wire them directionally to the pickup wires (if your on DC).

Higher tech..

Use LEDs and solder to pcb ?

Edited by adb968008

Thanks re link to cameras - I will definitely get some of these, and yes, the lighting suggests would do the job too. I will likely plan to make it so that they can work on DC with direction of travel, and with DCC, look to have some sort of over-ride.

Out of interest, does anyone know whether the lights would generally be on in the direction of travel, or whether they would film behind the train. Perhaps a stupid question, but wanted to check!

Hi - the Dapol model is good, but needs a lot of work to resemble the real 960011.Heres my model, I've already replaced the wierd looking blobs that are the buffer shanks and also opened out the window. For the flood lights, I shall be milling a tank wheel that I have stuck to a square piece of plastic rodding using Zap Gap (pink). I can provide more pictures when I get home.

post-3095-0-47001700-1546730375_thumb.jpg

NL

• Like 1