MJT coach compensation units

A little late in the day perhaps, but I am totally sold on compensated bogies! All of a sudden, everything stays on the track!

The MJT units are simplicity to assemble, but I have one query. The use of press studs to attach the bogie to the coach is quite effective but I've found that their fit together is so tight, unless the 'female' half is filed quite ruthlessly, any articulation is nigh on impossible and curves cannot be taken. Is this normal? I'm quite happy to keep on filing, but it would be useful to know if I'm doing something wrong.

Many thanks, as ever.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I've also found some studs to be very tight, to be honest given the cost of them I just bin em' and then actually try out the studs on a strip in the shop before I buy them (given they let you mess with the merchandise), I think some are just "stickier" than others...

Peter.

When first produced the supplied press studs were a good fit and there were no problems.  It would seem over the years the supply of press studs has had to be changed and the quality control of their manufacture has allowed the tolerances to become sloppy.  I have bought replacements in the past (from Woolworths) or resorted to filing.

At present I am busy converting all of my single torsion bar bogies using the kits supplied by Palatine Models (palatinemodels.co.uk) which solves the problems caused by the press studs and sometimes failure of the soldered joint after being in service for a while.

Tony Comber

Thank you all for your responses - much appreciated. 

I have resorted to filing - it's successful generally and replacements, for when it isn't, are stupidly cheap.

I will look at the Palatine Model alternative however.

Best wishes

Tony

Never understood why a bolt wouldn’t do?

I believe the idea was to allow easy reversal of the bogies to protect AJ couplings from transport damage. You just pulled the bogies off and clipped them back with the couplings pointing in to the centre of the coach, safe from harm.

Dave.