• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, TrentValleyRailway said:

Scenic work on hard standing for container depot begins

27FACA6E-B217-402B-8989-D4695A14D915.jpeg.621519c7d9af56708a533dba32342197.jpeg

Matt,

Nice single rails for the overhead crane, though not exactly prototypical. Mind you, I suppose you will 'hide' the timber sleepers under the road surface?

And that's some very straight track you have there. Impressive.

Ian

• Like 2

On 28/09/2020 at 09:39, ISW said:

Matt,

Nice single rails for the overhead crane, though not exactly prototypical. Mind you, I suppose you will 'hide' the timber sleepers under the road surface?

And that's some very straight track you have there. Impressive.

Ian

agreed, the single rail on sleepers will mostly be hidden by 'concrete' plasticard to the top rail level of the track. to note also is the crane itself isnt exactly prototypical at HO scale!

I'm equally impressed by your huge design and epic rate of construction, and bewildered that there's only a couple of people commenting on this quite amazing topic!  

I'm not sure if it's because you're exploring a genre of layout that's relatively rare on here, and/ or because you're presenting it across several social media platforms.  Whatever, it's a force to be reckoned with.  I have never seen such lengthy inclines before to access hidden staging loops, testament to the power of modern locos that all the featured traction appears capable and up to the task.

1 hour ago, TrentValleyRailway said:

Matt,

I'm curious to know about the frog wire connection. Why didn't you use the 'long wire' that threads through the underside of one of the sleepers? That avoids any heat related issues with the plastic.

Myself, I combine the feed wires with the 'tongue rail to stock rail' jumpers. By shear coincidence, I've just done a posting about wiring my electrofrog turnouts at: 

Do you plan to 'beautify' your turnouts?

Ian

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

I have never seen such lengthy inclines before to access hidden staging loops, testament to the power of modern locos that all the featured traction appears capable and up to the task

Chard,

There are some examples to be found / seen. My layout (under construction) uses ramp tracks between the Lower Level and Upper Level baseboards that run around the perimeter of the layout (in a similar fashion to Matt's layout). As I have a 350mm difference in levels the ramps have to go round more than once to keep the gradient reasonable. In effect, it's a bit like an oversized helix. These's a diagram at: 

If you read on through my ramblings, you'll see photos of the Ramp Tracks in construction.

Ian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ISW said:

Matt,

I'm curious to know about the frog wire connection. Why didn't you use the 'long wire' that threads through the underside of one of the sleepers? That avoids any heat related issues with the plastic.

Myself, I combine the feed wires with the 'tongue rail to stock rail' jumpers. By shear coincidence, I've just done a posting about wiring my electrofrog turnouts at: 

Do you plan to 'beautify' your turnouts?

Ian

Hi Ian,

great question - the answer being when I did a 3-way point and another point on the fiddle yard the ‘long wire’ for the frog snapped off the underside of the rail and I’d rather be sure for reliability that the frog is always powered that i solder directly to the underside of the frog - also on the scenic section I wanted the wire to go vertically down through a hole under the point out of sight. A little more Effort but Nearer and works well for me

Thanks Ian for the link.  I'm considering a folded figure of eight concept with the lines crossing at conventional clearances, much like here at Niddrie:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/33/8/

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get away with 1:75 gradients to achieve this.  These were incidentally the more arduous of the prevailing inclines used by the engineers who surveyed the Waverley Route.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TrentValleyRailway said:

the ‘long wire’ for the frog snapped off the underside of the rail and I’d rather be sure for reliability that the frog is always powered that i solder directly to the underside of the frog

Matt,

Fortunately, I've not experienced that particular problem, yet.

However, when I installed my insulfrog Peco SL-90 double-slips I wired them the same as electrofrog. That entailed soldering on a my own 'tail wire' as there obviously isn't one on an insulfrog point. 

Ian

13 hours ago, TrentValleyRailway said:

pictures of progress on hard standing concrete

Matt,

Are you (or have you ...) going to cut/scribe some grooves into the hardstanding plastic (?) to represent concrete joints? I think these are typically to represent 10x5m slabs.

Ian

56 minutes ago, ISW said:

Matt,

Are you (or have you ...) going to cut/scribe some grooves into the hardstanding plastic (?) to represent concrete joints? I think these are typically to represent 10x5m slabs.

Ian

going for large scale slab effect which is about the length of a container, effect is provided by laying the plasticard sheets ‘portrait’ next to each other with the shorter sides against each other 

90AC16AC-AE98-46D0-AE0E-25069D0B25A0.jpeg.c107e1f2ef6a3450dc5a41e700806c3e.jpeg

0FF663E0-9E4D-4323-B521-A6E7327AF1A0.png.c92faaf8844b6eeddc4a3b1d137c22ad.png

• Like 2