Trent Valley Railway - Heljan Container Crane

TrentValleyRailway

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/11/2020 at 15:46, ISW said:

Matt,

Is that a single piece backscene, because I can't see any joints?

Ian

the join has been laid left to right away from the camera - although very difficult to spot somewhere above the dhl containers, scene at a right angle at the back is a separate sheet merged in the corner .

kind observations.

thanks,

On 28/11/2020 at 15:46, ISW said:

Matt,

Is that a single piece backscene, because I can't see any joints?

Ian

Matt,

Well, you certainly 'can't see the join', as Eric would say to Ernie. What have you used for the backing, plywood?

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2020 at 10:10, ISW said:

Matt,

Well, you certainly 'can't see the join', as Eric would say to Ernie. What have you used for the backing, plywood?

Ian

yes 3mm plywood sheets, comes pre-sticky adhesive sheets, maybe could do with a small dab of backscene glue in case of peeling around the edges (hasn't happened as yet).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, TrentValleyRailway said:

How a scene can change quite quickly, more progress below

Matt,

I'll be well chuffed when I get that far with my layout. At present it's a wide expanse of 'grey'.

A couple of questions regarding the ballasting, if I may:

1. I was under the impression that you should weather the track before ballasting?
  2. I note you've done the scenics around the track before the ballasting. I've only seen it done the other-way-round, but I must admit your sequence is probably more realistic.
  3. The ballast is outside the limits of the cork, so doesn't that increase the noise transmission to the baseboard? I'm using a foam underlay, and I've not yet found a good method to avoid this issue.

Ian

On 04/03/2021 at 18:18, ISW said:

Matt,

I'll be well chuffed when I get that far with my layout. At present it's a wide expanse of 'grey'.

A couple of questions regarding the ballasting, if I may:

1. I was under the impression that you should weather the track before ballasting?
  2. I note you've done the scenics around the track before the ballasting. I've only seen it done the other-way-round, but I must admit your sequence is probably more realistic.
  3. The ballast is outside the limits of the cork, so doesn't that increase the noise transmission to the baseboard? I'm using a foam underlay, and I've not yet found a good method to avoid this issue.

Ian

1. if I ever get round to doing any weathering, and doing it good I’d be amazed! Think I might pen weather the outer rails so they are less shiny as a minimum.

2. a combination of both is in progress, for the container depot lines it was easier to create what is in effect a ballast pit . For the mainlines I will ballast before adding the grass , turf areas

3. I have quite a solid foundation of cork thickness to mitigate the murmur of noise  but yes ballast outside of the cork area to have a ballast shoulder.

thanks for keeping in touch.

Edited by TrentValleyRailway

On 05/02/2021 at 19:40, TrentValleyRailway said:

Am I correct in thinking you have all that  hidden multi level track serving a scenic area running down one side of the room?

Your video has convinced me that my next layout should be multi level... not that I have a lot of stock, it's just that I really enjoy building baseboards.

Great work.  Enjoy!

10 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

Your video has convinced me that my next layout should be multi level... not that I have a lot of stock, it's just that I really enjoy building baseboards.

If you want a different 'take' on the multi-level baseboard layout, take at look at my layout at:

I also have all my storage sidings 'hidden away' on the Lower Level, but have the whole Upper Level for scenics, not just down one side. It might give you some ideas. The link above will take you to a 3D render. A bit later on you'll find the baseboard and structure designs.

Ian

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ISW said:

If you want a different 'take' on the multi-level baseboard layout, take at look at my layout at:

I also have all my storage sidings 'hidden away' on the Lower Level, but have the whole Upper Level for scenics, not just down one side. It might give you some ideas. The link above will take you to a 3D render. A bit later on you'll find the baseboard and structure designs.

Ian

Funnily enough, I was also viewing your layout thread earlier today. 

10 hours ago, 9C85 said:

Am I correct in thinking you have all that  hidden multi level track serving a scenic area running down one side of the room?

Great work.  Enjoy!

You are indeed correct and I may even in future have a single line branch to ‘something’ maybe depot or branch terminus for the 4-car emu /voyagers , yet to be decided on the opposite side of the garage, I also gave space on the very lower level once tidied to also do another scene in the future if I decided to.

I also concur baseboard and engineering, track and operations is much more my expertise than the scenery aspects.

Happy to have inspired your future layout thoughts.

thanks,

Edited by TrentValleyRailway

1 hour ago, TrentValleyRailway said:

I also concur baseboard and engineering, track and operations is much more my expertise than the scenery aspects.

So far on my layout build, the only scenery is what I suppose is classed as 'hard landscaping' - with the majority of it being proprietary items such as retaining walls and girder bridges.  I have made a 'freelance' access road ramp and a bridge abutment (for said girder bridges), but the thought of adding any vegetation fills me with trepidation. I see some layouts with allotments in minuscule detail and I think there's no way I could get to that level. 

I should add some foliage to my retaining wall and possibly some static grass at the end of the sidings, but that's a long way off.

Enjoy the build. 

• Like 1