Trent Valley Railway - Heljan Container Crane

TrentValleyRailway

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Matt,

Watched the video up/down the inclines using your 'cube cam'. As usual you are doing it right using a 'proper' camera. I did the same thing myself in early November but my camera, although physically the same size (2cm cube) cost only £6.25 from the interweb. Hence the quality of my video wasn't anything like as good.

I also found that a static 'lineside' video with passing trains was very effective. Just plonk the cube cam next to the track, aimed suitably, and run a few trains past.

----------------------------------------

Can you clarify the arrangement of your upper levels. From the video it appears that one side of the garage is the 'scenic' element, but that the other side is just the top of the inclines. Is that correct, because it does seem to limit the scenic area.

• Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, ISW said:

Matt,

Watched the video up/down the inclines using your 'cube cam'. As usual you are doing it right using a 'proper' camera. I did the same thing myself in early November but my camera, although physically the same size (2cm cube) cost only £6.25 from the interweb. Hence the quality of my video wasn't anything like as good.

I also found that a static 'lineside' video with passing trains was very effective. Just plonk the cube cam next to the track, aimed suitably, and run a few trains past.

Can you clarify the arrangement of your upper levels. From the video it appears that one side of the garage is the 'scenic' element, but that the other side is just the top of the inclines. Is that correct, because it does seem to limit the scenic area.

As noted above, below is the link to the video for the Layout Cab Ride - Winter 2019 ~ Trent Valley Railway #40

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ISW said:

Matt,

my first attempt was the same as you note above and I wasn’t happy that although the advert was for a 4K can it wasn’t 4K, I went for a £20ish or so cube cam off amazon. 

Got lucky with the Polaroid cube+ to get a new but ever so slightly used of eBay for £40. 

————

you are correct in the observations that the scenic sections is only to one side of the garage , want to concentrate on that section and get it right before any future possible expansions or other sections which I may make out of the space remaining at the lower level or for going upwards again with another level which you may notice I have left passive provision for in the design of where the inclines go round and round  

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/02/2020 at 22:18, TrentValleyRailway said:

Some work since the new year has involved a tidy of the DCC bus wiring around the layout on the inclines

Matt,

Much improved, with less 'dangly wires' to snag on the rolling stock or your sleeves.

Are you not following the common (?) practice of 'back to black' for wiring - by which I mean the black wire goes on the rail to the 'back'? Mind you, you may have a better scheme ...

On 04/02/2020 at 10:39, ISW said:

Matt,

Much improved, with less 'dangly wires' to snag on the rolling stock or your sleeves.

Are you not following the common (?) practice of 'back to black' for wiring - by which I mean the black wire goes on the rail to the 'back'? Mind you, you may have a better scheme ...

overlooked such practice and followed the DCC wiring round after laying the first bit of track down which led to red at the rear. 

On 06/02/2020 at 17:02, TrentValleyRailway said:

overlooked such practice and followed the DCC wiring round after laying the first bit of track down which led to red at the rear. 

Matt,

The best method is always the one you can understand and follow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...