Foliage/leaves on seafoam trees? And buddleias ...

To my delight, Mrs Spikey is currently having a first bash at making seafoam trees - and even better, is showing signs of becoming quite adept at this sort of thing.  However, all we have by way of foliage is some Woodland Scenics "Blended Turf" and some of their "Coarse Turf", which are OK for practicing on but not ideal.

What's the best material to use for this application?  Ideally it'll be had in a variety of mixable shades and be readily available online.

And while I'm at it, what do folk use for the purple flowers on buddleias?

• Like 1

I've also used Woodland Scenics 'coarse turf' on seafoam trees but obtained better results with Noch 'leaves' . They come in different shades of green and are available online from Gaugemaster.

post-7898-0-32558900-1546706775_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I've ... obtained better results with Noch 'leaves'

Thank you.  It looks like I'd just need light and dark greens for now.  Just out of interest, what glue do you use?  I keep seeing recommendations to use 3M Spraymount ...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've built over 20 of these - wire (flower arrangers) formers for trunk and main branches, covered with hot glue and then painted. Sea moss branches/twigs then hot glued to main branches. I've used many shades of woodland scenics coarse turf sprinkled onto the sea moss and held in place with hairspray I pinched from the wife. This does shed a bit, so I have used spray adhesive (Peco, meant for static grass) as well.

post-6925-0-51774800-1546713492_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-89464400-1546713543_thumb.jpg

It's very therapeutic and light relief after working on rolling stock and permanent way.

Neil

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thank you.  It looks like I'd just need light and dark greens for now.  Just out of interest, what glue do you use?  I keep seeing recommendations to use 3M Spraymount ...

Yes, I would also recommend using 3M. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've used Deluxe Materials spray http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=DLAD-54&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Deluxe+Materials+AD-54 and this worked well for me. Don't use hairspray - this is OK for most foam scatters but doesn't work on Noch leaves, it's not sticky enough. I haven't used 3M, got put off by the public health warnings!

Buddleias, I'd suggest either a purple scatter (Woodland Scenics or GreenScene both do this) on the tips of branches or Busch wild lupins flower heads. https://www.elmetimages.co.uk/photo_7824735.html#photos_id=7824732

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

With regard to Buddleia's I use a sort of hybrid version that isn't quite correct but looks OK and gives the impression I was after.

Using horsehair, I cut/tear/break/tease into the size bush I was after then spray it a mid brown.

When dry I use firm hold hairspray I sprinkle on Woodland Scenics Blend Turf to form the base.

Then using Woodland Scenics reeds I dunk into a earth scatter, when dry I then paint them purple - be careful with the colours as the range of colours available today is relatively new, so check your era.

When dry I just glue them into the bush, some I carefully bend to represent a drooping stem.

A few pictures to help illustrate.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 07/03/2019 at 04:48, saxokid said:

I make all my flowers for "Banks road" from frozen grated crayons

which can be bought rather cheep these days...

And I'm well impressed with the results.  By "crayons", though, do you mean the fat "wax" type with the paper round them, or what?

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 06:44, spikey said:

And I'm well impressed with the results.  By "crayons", though, do you mean the fat "wax" type with the paper round them, or what?

Yes the old school type of kids crayon with paper round the middle...:good_mini:

cheers neil..

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 15:27, Julia said:

How do you process them? I like this idea. 

I freeze the coloured crayons roughly two hours,

then using old cheese grater,turn the crayons into coloured powders.

Like here in the picture ...

thumbnail_IMG_3154.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1