kenwards colliery in a box file

after a lot of head scratch ing  there  will be 3 tracks . i used the lid of the 1st box file  for the traverser  base . i wanted it all to be as simple and basic as possible i have used some plastic L shaped strips for the sliders and just glued them to the base   so they lap over each other  .  there is just enough room to get a class 20 and one wagon on the class 20 would be a bit large for the layout but it will give me a choice to run a small bo bo . any way as a bit more progress get under way more pics will follow 

DSCF1283.JPG

DSCF1282.JPG

DSCF1284.JPG

DSCF1280.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all well bit of a sad up date . my adventure in to a box file project  has fallen flat  i just had problem after problem in turned in to a car board sandwich in the end  so thought ide share  some last pics a bit different to the normal instead of the build progress its build demolition . still i have saved the buildings  so may be a mrk 2  will emerge .

20190501_194044.jpg

20190501_194105.jpg

20190501_200908.jpg

20190501_200926.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi james  thats what  i am hope ing   i did save all the buildings  , and i all ready have a sheet of MDF  to start again  . The problem was that the original box file bases where not level and the tracks to the traverser  would not sit level  no mater what i did . 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, kevo said:

Hi james that's what i am hoping. I did save all the buildings, and i have a sheet of MDF to start again. The problem was that the original box file bases was not level and the tracks to the traverser would not sit level no matter what i did.

At least we know what the problem was that's why I use Sundeala board and wood for my layouts.

Here's a thought: If you redo the layout but this time do it on on sundeala board and wood, you won't have that problem again and it'll be more sturdy.

Well have ing slept on the  idea over nite  and much scribe ing on paper in my work break to day  i think i just may be able to re do the original plan  again  but this time timber and MDF  the traverser  will be on small  draw runners . but i have decided to use some of my American stock . any way this is the mock up so far  . the 2 box files came to 74 cm long so i will make it a bit longer this time 81 cm long gives a bit more room to juggle  larger stock . fingers crossed and hanging on to interest i hope to make a start  this week end  . and this time i shall use a dead frog point to keep it simple .

20190502_195818.jpg

20190502_195852.jpg

20190502_195925.jpg

20190502_200014.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks luke   i had built up some  american stock  as i have  had plans for a us type layout mainly based around the grain industry but again it would be small  if it goes a head 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

HI James . yes what you see is the mock up for the next layout as the original NCB one got scraped  due to problems with the traverser . and that i am afraied is as far as it got . but you never know i may just start again 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Kevo,

We live and learn by our mistakes and it only makes us into better modellers. Nothing is lost by scrapping your original project and I urge you to try again! That mock-up looks great and those fantastic buildings deserve to be recycled and reused! 

On the setting, subtle changes of road vehicles and/or minor buildings would allow you to operate the layout in different locations and time periods. So, British NCB, American and, having spotted that lovely CIE class 141 in your avatar, an Irish setting. I think that kind o flexibility is one of the joys of a micro-layout and effectively means you can have three or four layouts in one! With the stock requirements only being minimal, it's also relatively cheap to be able to have that kind of variety! 

Anyway, keep up the good work :good_mini: 

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...

Hi all . well the remains of my Kenwards colliery have sat around for long enough . i never did come to terms with its destruction  and have ing been given a couple of box files i did think must try again .  after setting the buildings in  place i thought NO !  this time ile  make it much more solid  but keep ing to the same size  as the box files  so hard board and MDF  have been used  . no track as yet have been relayed  and the buildings  need tidying and re glue ing  but it will be as close to the orignal  as i can make it  . so very much a work in progress at the mo . 

20190922_141408.jpg

20190922_142117.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Hi all well this micro layout has been started and demolished and started again  and its taken its time as well . construction this time in MDF and harboard  its nearly finished now apart from one or two bits i have added one or two changes  which you may spot from the original  . its not the tidyist layout as you can see the back ground paper there are one or two creases in the sky . but i can live with that for now . and i have  stuck to my theam of running different stock from other places USA etc  so here are some up dated pics 20200116_194250.jpg.e92e42042439bb5aabc70b89a9dcc87d.jpg

20200116_194307.jpg

20200116_194407.jpg

20200116_194606.jpg

20200116_194529.jpg

20200116_192454.jpg

20200116_192506.jpg

20200116_192536.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thanks .  like a lot of us modellers  nowadays  i like different railways from other places as well as the uk . and  it was with one of my last layouts . think it was my micro cement one i used it to test run some amercain  locos i had in preparation for a USA grain  based  micro . with a few little changes like road sign's etc i soon saw i could easly get away with running both .i have slipped in two pics of the same  layout just to show how it looked . slightly off view as well i changed the tool store . UK grounded BR van . USA a cut and shut old box car . i expect some people might raise a eyebrough in dissmay  but it dus save a hell of a lot a time have ing to build another layout and saves space 

DSCF1198.JPG

DSCF0888.JPG

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

Thanks Martyn and Adam for your kind comments . yes the raised  loading erea seem to give the layout a bit of depth as space is a real premium . even tho i rebuilt the whole layout i still kept it the same size as the original box file .hope fully by the end of this weekend i should have putt the front of the layout on to give it that TV or  fish tank  look  as my wife calls it . allso i will take a couple pics of the traverser and how it stores a way 

• Like 1

Kevo, I've always loved your little cement micro, especially with the US stock.

I'm doing exactly the same with my latest micro, Doe Lee. I'm going to make the signs, etc magnetised to the layout so I can change between UK and US stock without issue. :)

Your solution for making the traverser is absolutely inspired, by the way. :)

Edited by DanielB

• 4 weeks later...

Another surge of effort . with this litle project .i am trying to realy get this completed  now as the ever pull to start something new saying that i will probly revamp my china clay project next . this is mainly due to the swing to run stock from different parts of the world on one layout . the follow ing pics show the layout from all sides the back view shows asmall oppen ing where coal can be loaded in to hoppers or trucks etc not that i will ever use this option it was just some thing to add some interest if it ever went on exibitions etc . also you can see the front is boxed in give ing it the tv fish tank type look . there is also a some views of the simple traverser i made up i have had problems with traversers on other layouts so basic was the order of the day 

20200215_145813.jpg

20200215_145205.jpg

20200215_145706.jpg

20200215_145717.jpg

20200215_145843.jpg

20200215_145350.jpg

20200215_145513.jpg

• Like 4

There are a few rolling stock changes a Hornby j94  makes a wellcome change from diesel power . it was picked up on Ebay a few months back  its ran really well and was dcc converted but lately its been a real pig . guess its the dreaded short wheel base problem and my good old Hornby o8 was not behave ing much better. but now seems ok it must have moods ! wagon wise i only have a few old kits that i picked up at a railway expo some time a go they were mere pennies . they were got so i could work out space ing etc i have tried fitting some kadee couplings to them but getting them set up right is a pain so untill i buy some decent new wagons i only have one to play around with . hence i have now started running my american stock . and thats why the old JCB has disapeard and the larger volvo front loader has taken its place . o yes one thing with this layout i have worked out i can run two locos one to bring in stock and the other to shunt around i have added one more half kadee uncouple ing magnet by the hopper to help make this work . i may add another on the traverser later to make it even more fun . but its easy to end up with grid lock if iam not careful .

20200126_102424.jpg

20200126_102503.jpg

20200126_102632.jpg

20200126_103959.jpg

20200126_104234.jpg

• Like 2