kenwards colliery in a box file

Hi  luke i have a NCE power cab  controller . thanks for telling me about change ing  CV29 i would never have known about that . i will make a note of that . yes when i was looking early on i saw the smaller capacitors  but i was not sure if the smaller size were still high power ones  and nearly every thing i have looked at  at the mo is out of stock . well untill i can get them shunters sorted out running sessions are not very relax ing :unsure:

• Like 1

I was jus haveing a look at the differt types of stam locos used by the NCB and happen to see this nice look ing engine well i thought it looked nice:D i thinks  its a andrew barclay  . dus any one know if its  avaible as oo ready to run model or possible kit may be . it looks a bit to me of some think ex LNER 

6322006525_b647138327_c.jpg

• Like 3

Now I could be wrong but that reminds me of hudswell clarke. Though not perfect and would need a giesel ejector fitting this kit from Hardie's hobbies shares a few characteristics. I believe it's meant to run on the electron 0-6-0 outside cylinder chassis. https://hardyshobbies.co.uk/shop/locomotive-body-kits/hudswell-clarke-1800-class-standard/

• Agree 1

Thanks  Gordon  and luke for the info on the loco i am well inpressed with that kit even more with this version . its strange i was nearly all way a die hard diesel fan but now ime more drawn to industrial steam . especialy NCB  locos . doint know how availble  the electron chasssi is i will have to try a  hunt around on  on E BAY  .  Again big thanks for the help .:D

s-l1600 - 2020-05-21T161905.336.jpg

s-l1600 - 2020-05-21T161922.030.jpg

s-l1600 - 2020-05-21T161934.218.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/05/2020 at 17:08, kevo said:

its strange i was nearly all way a die hard diesel fan but now ime more drawn to industrial steam

Yep same here, although I 'allow' other small steam locos and narrow gauge into the frame too! 

Ralf

Yes big fan of narrow gauge steam & IC engines  too .  but has to be micro when i build them :D funny thing that i have been looking to day at some of my narrow gauge un finished projects 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi all ime not sure if my pics will be in the right order when i load them up  so please bare with me . a few weeks  ago i draged  out my old boxfile size layout  and gave it a dust down . as i had a sudden rush of all things NCB . after a quick running session . i quickly remenbered why i had put it away under my work bench . The dreaded uncouple ling problem . it had been set up with KA DEE'S . It  would work some times  but just was not relieable  enough . so a bit of a re think and a good  look on You Tube  gave me the urge to try another type . I belive  its called the Brian  Kerbby  methord   and has been tried by many people each with there own take on it . and seemed easy to set up . so i have now pulled up most of my Ka dee's and tried a fare amount of different size  Neodymin magnets . one of the pics shows what i came up with in the end  ,there flat 12mm x7mm x1 mm  set about 5mm apart  .so far they seem to work well but its on going . so i will keep you posted 

20201002_200623.jpg

20201002_200737.jpg

20201002_201112.jpg

20201002_201313.jpg

20201002_201332.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

One thing i did find out use ing this form of un coupling  was that it  would be handy to make a jig up  to get every thing standard as possible  the staples need to be attached to droppler bar  so as not to foul up when going over the point blades to low and the wagons jam up . hopefuly the picture shows my very simple set up a bit of plastic card with a hole drilled just big enough to take a small round magnet . this was then glued in place in between the rails  with clearance for the wagon wheels . .  i then used a track sleeper  as a guide to keep the staple in a stright line . and the magnet holds it in place . push the wagon with the hook dropler level with the staple have ing 1st put a small drop of super glue on the hook droppler . gently push the staple against the hook  and let the glue do its thing leave for 5 min and push  the wagon forward hopefuly with staple in place . then its ready for testing . i find some times i might have to do the odd tweek of the staple  . i hope this might urge some people to have a go . especially  if you want a cheap form of auto uncople ing  with the standard hook and bar set up . and doint forget  there is good guidance on this  on YOU TUBE   . have fun 

20201003_131854.jpg

20201003_134043.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Kevin . thank you  ime glad you like it  . i have not long  dragged it back out from storage   as i was working on another project . i must admit ime enjoy ing giveing it a second wind  . its my 1st go at box file size modeling  and more or less got made up as i went along . when ime happy that  the uncouple ing   works ok i will get round to filling in the holes where the magnets are . ive tried not to over clutter the layout but keep thinking it could do with some more bits of junk or something  scattered about 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All  . after some more battle ing with the couplings it all now seems to have settled down to a bit of tweak ing here and there . its not a 100%  but near enough . my thoughts are now driffting on to possible other projects . my Fort henderson  project has ground to a hault just for now . but ime bound to pick up on that again . but some thing that has sparked of a bit of interest  is may be the possibility of doing a kenwards colliery  look a like in ON30  narrow gauge . so who  knows what might happen 

20201024_151339.jpg

20201024_151906.jpg

• Like 6

• 8 months later...

steam  is still just about hanging on at kenwards colliery there is still a few  J94  tanks working NCB   number 19  is seen and  J94    rosalyn  in a bit off a sorry condition  is seen shunting  . well any excuse  to get this layout out the cupbard   and running again  . hope you like the pics  .

20210704_082348.jpg

20210704_082324.jpg

20210704_082143.jpg

20210704_082209.jpg

20210704_183504.jpg

20210704_183522.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Thanks  Od  glad you like it . the layout  has been tucked away for ages but i had kept looking at it thinking neeed to  have a running session . as i had brought one of the EFE j94  no 19 just before the layout went in to storage as other  projects had been started . At the moment i  am just running it on DC performance on this loco is  not brilliant  on DC and strang enough  the old Hornby  j94  rosalyn  runs really good . Just goes to show that even tho  the EFE  loco cost  much more  pay ing that bit extra  woint all ways bring good performance . later on i will start running on DCC again but i remenber  i had problems  with this so  the fitting of stay alives  will be the order of the day .

Big thanks  to all the likes   i am so glad to have blown off the dust on this layout again  in fact its given me the kick start  i needed to get some more stock  wagon wise i have just ordered  some 16ton minerail wagons which i am really short of . which will probbly help with  shunting wise   as space is  very tight  as in the length  of  side ings  .

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  all just a small side project i started last week . i have a Bachmann  green 08  shunter its been sitting around in its box since i brought it off E bay  some time ago  some of the grab rails on the loco body were broken  and i just didnt get round to fixing them . so i thought about doing something with it . i have seen that the NCB  did have some 08 or 09 shunters of there own  some in a dark blue with  red  buffer beams  some were  part yellow  and blue  . but i have not seen any or know of any in a overall ncb yellow so i have  come up with my own take on it . halfords  yellow primer looked a good match for what i was looking for . i had some ncb transfers  from planet industrials and got to work and this is what its looking like so far .  there is still masking tape in the cab as i have yet to do some weather ing  and the body shell is just resting on the chassi  at the moment . 

20210718_170904.jpg

20210720_191307.jpg

20210720_191427.jpg

20210722_185141.jpg

• Like 7

Well i have now finished  my NCB 08   glazeing back in the cab  and given a good grimeing over  . there are hand rails missing  here and there but ime not to worried i will get round to replaceing them at some point . a good clean up on the wheels and its running not to bad  . i have a Heljan 07  that may get the same treatment soon  

20210725_183641.jpg

20210725_183651.jpg

20210725_183945.jpg

20210725_183953.jpg

• Like 7