kenwards colliery in a box file

Thanks  Wren  ime glad you like it . i have had this 08  just sitting around  and wanted to do some thing of a repaint with it . it was a easy job  grey primmer  and halfords yellow primmer . i really enjoy weather ing all my locos  . but find some times its hard to know when to stop and not over do things 

• Like 1

H i  Jim  thanks  thats hi praise  indeed . i am really amazed how many  people have said they like this little layout . when i think  back how it got completely  demolished  1st time round but lucky  the 2nd re build was more sucsessfull . i did have a look at Ian holmes  e mag  it dus  look very good so i will look in to that  but ime not that  good  on a PC   with up loading  things  so i will see how it goes .

Hi  Jim  thank you for the kind offer .  but  ime down in sussex   so doint  worry .   i do like the idea of that  phone tri pod  it would make takeing  pics much more easy . so i will look in to that. 

thanks  steve glad you like the 08  it turned out better than i thought it would   only slight disopointment  with it  is that it runs better in reverse than forward  which is a bit of a let down  . at the moment  i am running the layout on  DC  as i have yet to convert locos  to DCC    . i am  use ing a gauge master  combi . one thing  i have found a bit strange  going back to DC  . is that  even tho  i have a  something  like a brand new  run in EFE  j94  it dus not run as well  on DC as one of my old Hornby  j4  which really crawls  along  . 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  all  i doint know if any one can help with this  but i thought i would have a go at doing  a bit of allterations  to one of my Hornby j94 's  .  with the really nice castings  from RT models  i have brought a giesel  enjector chimney  and it comes wit a guide plug . now i brought  thease bits  along with a different dome and water filler cap . no problem with them just replace like for like .  but its the giesel enjector  ime baffed at  i have looked at pictures of j94 's with them  but can not see where  the plug or bottom coller goes . or am i just stupid  and its a fixing guide to line up the funnel  dus it go as ive placed it in my pic  etc . any advice or am i not seeing the  obvious . thank you 

20210808_204409.jpg

Thanks  luke  i am glad i was not the only one to have a problem with this . i have used a small blob of blutac  just to see what it looks like in place   level on the tank the giesel funnel  looks  far to tall so will have to trim some off the base  . luke would you have a photo of your j94 with  giesel funnel on it so i can see how yours looked  . no problem if you havent  luke . thanks 

20210809_224409.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kevo

Not done this conversion myself, but I think that Giesl chimney needs cutting down a bit.  Perhaps the following links might help:

Picture of Giesl fitted Bagnall showing the chimney with a short saddle tank

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giesl_ejector#/media/File:W._G._Bagnall_0-6-0ST_No._2_"Florence"_(17592116039).jpg

Pictures of Austerity 'Repulse' at Lakeside & Haverthwaite

https://www.steamlocomotive.info/valbum.cfm?display=27879

A link to one George Dent made, he doesn't seem to have used the 'plug'

http://georgedentmodelmaker.blogspot.com/2012/12/austerity-measures.html

Thanks  Moxy thats been a great help  especially  the george dent  link those pics show excatlly what i needed. it shows that really all i need do is cut a slot in the top  of the water tank doint think i need that coller thing at all . brilliant  cheers 

Hi all i have just brought another j94  no 49 . i doint know what it is with thease  locos but i now have about 5 of them  . its the Hornby one  and it runs really well  bit noisey  but ok it was allso converted to DCC so it saved me the job   and its now earning its keep  shunting about the yard .

20210817_171620.jpg

20210817_171634.jpg

20210817_171952.jpg

• Like 4

thanks sussex yard  . i do think i need to add some more junk  and bits laying around as it is there is just a few oil drums . from pictures i have seen of real collierys there is s whole host of scrap junk you name it but i would not want to over cram it as  the space is limmited 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kevo said:

any particulal  flavor :D no sorry  ive never come across that dus it work 

Depends on what you want the loco to smell like. :mellow:

It can work, as the toothpaste acts like a mild grinding medium and smooths off the gears. Don't overdo it though.

steve

HI all  did a bit of weekend  layout tweeking  . i found in my scrap box  some loco shed doors with warnning  stripes on them . no idea how long i had them bit a bit of thinking  i have made good use of them to make some  hazzard  signs  for the coal convayer  and coal hopper  .  

20210822_194237.jpg

• Like 4