kenwards colliery in a box file

HI all well i have got round to try ing out the lenz mini decoder i brought for my DJ models J94 and i have to say its still thumbs down on this  . the only small improvement is in the slow running  . . more in one direction than the other . other than that its very disappoint ing  what luke has said about this loco sums it up . and after 10 min of running it gets worse  to change direction  i kept have to prod it to get it going   :scratchhead: shame is mine will like lukes j94  will end up as buffer stop  :drag:

post-26535-0-06276300-1547483156_thumb.jpg . A bit more work at the weekend  as time allowed . the wall ing  was painted and weathered and the buildings glued in place . the load ing hopper is now sandwiched in the middle  . a fare bit of sanding and cutting needed  to get it to fit .The hopper is nearly finished post-26535-0-37087600-1547483571.jpg i have shown the ugly back view where the shoot will go . through a hole in the back seen .

• Like 6

Thanks luke  . i am really enjoy ing make ing this litle project . i havent thrown  money in to it like some of my other layouts . its taken some getting use to not use ing MDF . and hard board  for construction  . i will make the corners more stronger to help protect it more as the card board can easy get damaged  . i am looking in to a cheaper way of auto un couple ing  use ing standard couple ings  and staples . so more fun to come 

Thanks clover kind of you to say . i doint really plan my layouts to the last brick etc i have a basic idea and they seem to evolve as i go along . and i love looking at what other people have made and how they get round there problems . 

The coal hopper looks great Kevo, all coming along nicely. 

Hi Kevo, what's the Janus like in terms of detail and running quality? Id quite like one but haven't heard a great deal about them, wondered what your thoughts are on it.

I've got the NCB and PLA liveried versions and they both run fine, the NCB one was initially wired the wrong way round but Golden Valley sent a new blanking plate which sorted it out and it's fine now. They're only on DC at the moment.

Steve.

morning luke  yes i am well pleased so far with my Janus  i have not used it a lot since i run it in . on DC it ran nice and smooth  .  better one direction than the other  seems to be the normal with every think in my loco fleet . i will be fitting a gauge master decoder hopefully this weekend so i will let you know on its running on DCC  detail wise very nice . only regret with mine i wanted a NCB  one and my local  model shop only had the MSC one and i couldn't wait !

An excellent looking model so far! I quite like the truss bridge section on the scenic break; I think it would look better with a little more depth, but that would be difficult given the building's windows. Thinking about it, perhaps a covered footbridge, with steps leading down to the front of the layout, instead? Either way, all the scenery is looking great, and I'm enjoying watching this progress.

hi thanks for your comments  . the truss bridge was just a temp placement  as i am not sure yet what i will do . i am think ing more along the lines of a pipe bridge . and it would be a bit wider to carry multi pipes across 

Hi  steve  yes i have had that in mind i got some NCB  transfers  some time ago   i might even do a repaint to give it a real pealing rust bucket look . i will see what happens . i tried a gauge master decoder in it this eve . didnt seem to like it much  i had it laying around so no great loss . might try a lenz  one . i have had good results in the past with them ,. i have been working on the pipe over bridge  to day . hope to post some pics later in the week  . 

thanks simon  yes very true . micro layouts now seem more popular than ever . i have built a few layouts  in my time never any thing  over 4ft  and they got smaller each time this is the smallest   and i think now i would struggle  to go back to any think larger . 

• Like 1

...and you learn to use every inch. I'm creating a little dock scene right now, will be finished in one or two weeks.

The good thing about british railways is (or was) how short the old freight wagons were. Not much space needed for a little shunting layout.

"and i think now i would struggle  to go back to any think larger" Oh yeah, that's true! I know it! :mda: 

• Like 1

yes simon  you do have to be thoughtful with space but things can get finished so much quicker . and so far i have only used what i have laying around . good luck with your dock scene . have you posted any pics  of yours ?

• 2 weeks later...

as this is my 1st up date on the re vamped  site my fingers are crossed that it works . one job i have had to get on with was some sort of traverser  i decided to use another box file  

DSCF1285.JPG

• Like 1