Preservation Delivery

Norm81

Ok so the basic idea is as follows:

A bit of general clutter, typical of preserved railways at the front left corner.

A full, empty length of track diagonally.

A part length of track that has a 20' ramp section (is that enough?) upto a low loader trailer which is on hardstanding.

Some sort of dilapidated looking piece of rolling stock is on the low loader arriving for restoration.

A workshop type building at the back, corrugated steel over brick lower.

As the rolling stock has no functioning brakes, they need a loco (train) they are waiting for to couple up to prevent it running away down the ramp in an uncontrolled manner.

I haven't yet decided:

What time of year it is.

What era it is.

What the piece of rolling stock on the low loader is.

What low loader trailer I'll be using (depends on the era).

I may try and build from kits as much as I can, but with peco track and rtp rolling stock and low loader trailer if time looks tight for backup. If I can find a pair of gauges to borrow I might even build the track to EM or P4.

Hopefully the attached picture explains it better, it's drawn on 7 1\2" square to allow for backscene/fascia. Low loader just a base toys model and old Hornby wagon to give an idea.

post-16282-0-42323600-1546718959_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Looks good. I used a similar low loader for ‘The Visitor’ last year but I think to unload from it you would need to remove the back wheels (I think this is done on the real thing, not sure how I would do it on a model). I found that as well as the 006.5 loco I used several 009 ones would have fitted but I don’t think I’d have managed to fit a standard gauge one on so a wagon seems a good idea.

Looks good. I used a similar low loader for ‘The Visitor’ last year but I think to unload from it you would need to remove the back wheels (I think this is done on the real thing, not sure how I would do it on a model). I found that as well as the 006.5 loco I used several 009 ones would have fitted but I don’t think I’d have managed to fit a standard gauge one on so a wagon seems a good idea.

If I stick with the base toys low loader, it's plastic so won't take much effort to chop the rear wheel section off. I found a photo of one on flickr and that does seem to be how it was done. Otherwise I've been looking at langley kits and would have to chop the neck off the trailer as I'm sure that's how they do it (neck stays on the fifth wheel and gets pulled away from the trailer bed that's been dropped to the floor).

Now what sort of wagon would be heading to be preserved...

If I stick with the base toys low loader, it's plastic so won't take much effort to chop the rear wheel section off. I found a photo of one on flickr and that does seem to be how it was done. Otherwise I've been looking at langley kits and would have to chop the neck off the trailer as I'm sure that's how they do it (neck stays on the fifth wheel and gets pulled away from the trailer bed that's been dropped to the floor).

Now what sort of wagon would be heading to be preserved...

If you’ve ever seen ‘Trains to Tenterden’ ( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sXgT3YgKfmQ ) I think they show a loco being unloaded and what is done to the lorry wheels to get it off.

The load would be slowly lowered down the ramp attached to a winch cable,

Alternatively if a loco was used to draw it off one or two wagons would be used between the loco and load.

The loco would not actually move onto the ramp itself, this would not be a good practice due to the temporary nature of the ramp and the change in gradient at the bottom which is not good for suspension loads.

Pete

The load would be slowly lowered down the ramp attached to a winch cable,

Alternatively if a loco was used to draw it off one or two wagons would be used between the loco and load.

The loco would not actually move onto the ramp itself, this would not be a good practice due to the temporary nature of the ramp and the change in gradient at the bottom which is not good for suspension loads.

Pete

As I've just found a Railroad Bagnall I forgot I had, I could use that in lieu of the wagon to ensure a train is being waited for. If I want to keep things kitbuilt there's always the Knightwing diesel shunter kit.

I did wonder if a wagon would just be winched off by gravity, but it ruined my story as it were.

So far I'm making a shopping list for payday then I can start building when everything arrives.

• Like 1

As I've just found a Railroad Bagnall I forgot I had, I could use that in lieu of the wagon to ensure a train is being waited for. If I want to keep things kitbuilt there's always the Knightwing diesel shunter kit.

I did wonder if a wagon would just be winched off by gravity, but it ruined my story as it were.

Not necessarily - I’d always thought the wagon on the lorry was the train being waited for (if you see what I mean).

• Like 1

These may be of interest to you, as an example of a site where a wagon has been preserved:

http://www.wheathampstead-pc.gov.uk/controls/DownloadDocument.ashx?docID=pc0923YWBXVXQSJFVO4511rFnq&aID=7729

http://www.wheathampstead-pc.gov.uk/Station-Platform.aspx

True though, you don’t often see individual wagons being moved by road, but there are plenty in preservation that wouldn’t have got where they are now without using road transport at some point.

Problem solved. No wagon, no loco, that's the train they're waiting for!

So it will be the building in the background, the two lines of track, one being an incline up onto the low loader which is ready to receive it's load. Then between 1-4 strange looking folk (from modelu I've acquired recently) waiting with the low loader driver.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

These may be of interest to you, as an example of a site where a wagon has been preserved:

http://www.wheathampstead-pc.gov.uk/controls/DownloadDocument.ashx?docID=pc0923YWBXVXQSJFVO4511rFnq&aID=7729

http://www.wheathampstead-pc.gov.uk/Station-Platform.aspx

True though, you don’t often see individual wagons being moved by road, but there are plenty in preservation that wouldn’t have got where they are now without using road transport at some point.

Everything at Mangapps Farm Railway Museum at Burnham-on_Crouch has been delivered by road as it's about 3/4 of a mile from the nearest railway.  This includes all the track, buildings, 18 locos and more than 80 wagons and coaches.  The collection  has been put together by Farmer John Jolly; there's nothing like playing trains at 12 inches to the foot!

Have a look at their website www.mangapps.co.uk

Edited by Dickon
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here goes, if attaching the picture works as I’m not able to remember my flickr password...

Building is almost done, just needs guttering. Hardstanding is done, just need to put the front line of track in and I can get ballasting. Might pull up some of the paving as it now runs along the side of the hardstanding which makes it a bit pointless.

362D6B46-A50A-4EBF-A9FC-4143CC7DC255.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Norm81 said:

I got very much little else done as life outside of modelling got in the way. As today was the deadline I guess this is another for the unfinished projects box...

Your cake box is built to a really nice standard. I'm sure you'll be able to incorporate what you have so far into a future project.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cornholio said:

Your cake box is built to a really nice standard. I'm sure you'll be able to incorporate what you have so far into a future project.

Thanks, but it really isn’t.

For whatever reason the ply base warped pretty quick which is why I had real bother with the nearest set of tracks I intended including. Then the building has a gap to the backscene board as I got the angle of the cut slightly wrong and the building itself has a slight lean backwards as it’s difficult to keep the walls vertical when you’ve basically only got the corner of the building.

It also now has clumpy cinders down the side of the shed, as the deluxe materials ballast bond moved it all around despite the claims it doesn’t.

I guess it might not be a bad effort considering it started life as a Metcalfe farm building kit and some brick builder sheets. It got me modelling didn’t it.

10/10 for a decent idea

4/10 for execution of idea

2/10 for time management!

Given about 3 more months I’d have got to the finish I reckon.

• Friendly/supportive 2

I fully sympathise.  The bases of both my entries also warped, but I still decided to go ahead as I didn't feel that it detracted too much from either model.  It's all part of trying to reduce the height of the models in a confined space