The Ballachulish Railway Line

Another of those magazines at Christmas time (2018). This time it was an old "Hornby Magazine" from 2012. This was originally intended to be a short reflection on the Ballachulish Line but it is developing into something much longer. There will be three parts to this story!

This is the first post:

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/01/01/the-ballachulish-railway-line-part-1

• Like 12

In Part 1 of this story we covered much about the history of the line between Connel Ferry and Ballachulish. We start Part 2 with a few reminders of what was covered in Part 1 and provide some additional material from various sources before continuing our journey North along the branch.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/01/02/the-ballachulish-railway-line-part-2/

• Like 4

This is the third of three posts planned to cover the Ballachulish Branch. It includes the final length of the line approaching Ballachulish, some details about the quarries and a November 1950 article about the line which has been taken from The Railway Magazine of that date. 

• Like 2

I really enjoyed reading your blog postings on this line. I hadn't realised that the tidal race at Ballachuish was so violent. That aerial shot was an eye opener. 

This is the third of three posts planned to cover the Ballachulish Branch. It includes the final length of the line approaching Ballachulish, some details about the quarries and a November 1950 article about the line which has been taken from The Railway Magazine of that date. 

I really enjoyed reading your blog postings on this line. I hadn't realised that the tidal race at Ballachuish was so violent. That aerial shot was an eye opener.

The race is under the bridge at Connel Ferry. I've watched a coaster shoot that on a falling tide like a kayak . Edited by pH

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting your links Roger. I know this line well having cycled and photographed the remains of the line. Really good to read your articles. Helps fill in the history of the line.

I'm planning on building a layout based on the line evetually.

Thanks once again.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I've read the accounts of the Ballachulish Branch with great interest although I only saw the line and traversed the Connel Bridge after closure. I'd recommend this book which is not mentioned as an informed account of the building and closure of the line.

Birth and Death of a Highland Railway: Ballachulish Line, Duncan Kennedy [John Murray, 1971]

• RMweb Premium

Roger,

Abebooks can probably help. I came across it in a public library back in the 1970s! It does have interview/accounts with engineers who built the line and other information probably not available via other sources.

Happy hunting.

• RMweb Gold

Its writer Duncan Kennedy was a young engineer on the line.

The book gives a great insight into the construction industry practices at the time, echoes of which still remain.

There isn't much detail of the line itself though. The later editions have been expanded by a couple of chapters to provide more detail on this.

It is still far from a standard line history. A thoroughly recommended reading all the same.

Thanks Dava

I am looking out for the book at a reasonable price!

Roger

Roger,

Abebooks can probably help.

Abebooks has several copies listed. Whether or not the prices are reasonable, I'll let you decide.

Some interesting stuff there and I'll have to go through it in more detail ate a later date. I have a lady friend who lives in Ballachulish and it would be lovely to visit her but without the railway there now it's a major trip. I did find this photo in one of my copies of Steam World which might be of some interest

post-5014-0-19390500-1547070850_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The race is under the bridge at Connel Ferry. I've watched a coaster shoot that on a falling tide like a kayak .

Thanks for the correction of my mistake. I appreciate the engineering of Connel Bridge even more having seen that aerial view.