Have PECO rejigged settrack points?

john new

• RMweb Gold

I bought a settrack LH point at Warley. It has had to be be well bodged to get the blade contacts reliable. Basically. It is now a plastic frogged live frog point with just about everything cross bonded. One thing I note is the little tabs on the blade ends are missing and the joint from moving to fixed blade is very thin compared to my earlier purchases. Is this just a bad build or has the spec’ changed? If changed may buy Hornby in futture instead. This one was hopeless, no consistent electrical through connection without forcing the blade to connect.

Edited by john new

• 3 weeks later...

I don't use set track so can't really comment on that but the tabs disappeared from streamline points some time back, and the tie-bar mouldings are definitely different on later releases than earlier ones.  I'm sure I read somewhere once that Peco re-does the mouldings every now and again as they get worn out, and looks like they enhance them over time.  Most of my track has been up and down a few times (house moves, rejigging things to improve fiddle yard) and I would say generally that my Peco points have withstood this much better than my Hornby ones - on the latter sleepers near the toe have fallen off and other issues but peco generally OK leading me to feel they are generally more robust.  This includes some later moulding examples.

M

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Matt. Returning to OO after a 10 year break and side steps into some O9 modelling. Disappointed with these setrack points as the one's I'd used a couple of years ago on a layout for my grandsons were fine and reliable. I'm using setrack on a shunting plank because most of the track was already in stock.

• Like 1