Dapol Platform Canopy

ndg910

I am scratch building a GW station based loosely on Ross on Wye and I need to build the platform side canopy and was planning to use an adapted version of the Dapol canopy with one set of columns alongside the platform face of the building. Some adjustment will be incorporated to shorten the roof slope on one side.

Can anyone help with the length of the completed Dapol canopy kit and the height of the columns to the supporting roof truss.

Edited by ndg910

• RMweb Gold

Probably because the OP wants to plan how many kits they need to purchase for their project, and to check whether it’s suitable before buying. There’s nothing worse than buying one to find it’s not right, or you could have purchased six and saved on postage.

Unfortunatly dimensions for this kit seem to be hard to find on the internet. Perhaps an email to Dapol might work?

Probably because the OP wants to plan how many kits they need to purchase for their project, and to check whether it’s suitable before buying. There’s nothing worse than buying one to find it’s not right, or you could have purchased six and saved on postage.

My point was that in the OP 'planning' to use the Dapol canopy, and how he was going to modify it, meant that he had already made the decision that it was exactly what he was going use.

My point was that in the OP 'planning' to use the Dapol canopy, and how he was going to modify it, meant that he had already made the decision that it was exactly what he was going use.

You are right I was being ‘tight’ but I’ve narrowed it down to three options possibly four with one being to completely scratchbuild - which I’ve done for the entrance canopy using York Models brackets, use a 3D printed kit but the price is eye watering for a short length. A RTR model or kit is the best it seems but which one needs to be narrowed down.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Ratio one is better for GW and the Wills better for SR.

But neither are great. Much better to make you own making use of Plastruct or etched brass and suitable valances available from various sources such as ScaleLink Fretcetera, York Modelmaking, .....

ISTR 515 was the one made to match the station when it was made by Ratio. Based on Castle Cary I think.

I'm wondering whether the Airfix canopy is something from the East Midlands. Many of their models were based on real buildings, but many weren't far from their offices.

I know that the transfers for the platform fittings were Oakham or Braintree and Bocking.

Oakham was definitely used for the signal box, but it doesn't seem to have ever had a canopy apart from a short one on the building.

Doesn't look like Braintree and Bocking either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braintree_railway_station_(England)

There was always a generic element to the Airfix kits (as now made by Dapol). But unless you are working to a specific prototype they can be a great customisation aid. The 'Canopy' as built doesn't look quite right to me but the bits (girders, valances etc) can be carved about endlessly. I have two canopies (on different layouts) built with the kit parts as a base.

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

There was always a generic element to the Airfix kits (as now made by Dapol). But unless you are working to a specific prototype they can be a great customisation aid. The 'Canopy' as built doesn't look quite right to me but the bits (girders, valances etc) can be carved about endlessly. I have two canopies (on different layouts) built with the kit parts as a base.

They make a great factory roof

• Like 1

• 6 months later...