Class 25 photos

Liking this thread,

What would be the likely formation of the Cardiff to Crewe trains?

Be good to know to see if I can make a rake from my kitmaster mk1's

Recorded at Cardiff, 31 July 1980:

25042 with 15886 34931 4757 15880 34973 26130 (i.e. CK BSK TSO CK BSK SK)

25245 with 15866 34992 4229 16245 35405 4433 (i.e. CK BSK TSO CK BSK TSO)

So pretty much as SP Steve's post above, except for the SK substitution in one set.

• Like 1

Note that in post # 112 25063 as painted on "discs" on the cab end.  Never found out why and can only assume it did a railtour once.

The 25s I remember regularly working the Cardiff - Crewe circuit were 25042 25061 25063 25080 25219 25221 25224 and 25245.  Mostly vac braked boilered ones but 25221 and 25245 ere dual braked. 

• RMweb Gold

It's 25083, one with a boiler in a 25/3 body.

There were 5 like this, the first of class 25/2: 25 083 - 25 087.

Also, trademark of Glasgow works: larger numbers on the bodyside.

The arrows of indecision are slightly wonky, too - do that on a model at your peril!

Re bodies: the arrangement with revised grilles came in with 25/2, the last 30 of which (25 218- 25 247) had 25/1 style bodies and boilers, but all of 25/3 were of the revised design.

I recall seeing these described as early and late in the past (May 1977 RM!) but ....

The first 25(!) had the later class 24 body, with horns below the bufferbeam. Surely this is the early design of bodyside?

In practice, the only need to distinguish between body side variations is within 25/2, where there are 3 variations:

25/2 (revised) with boiler and hence tanks;

25/2 (revised)

25/2 (25/1 body)

These were everywhere when I was growing up, and I took them for granted. I also only had a Kodak 110 Instamatic camera and could barely afford the film and processing, so I have very few photos and fewer that are worth copying. I will have to find them first - not sure where they are.

I recall commenting to a friend that “1978 would be a great year to photograph and model” (I was 13 at the time) but lacked the resources to do much about it. Partly because I had spent my money on an electric guitar.

In hindsight, yes, it was: the economy took a downturn during the “Winter of Discontent”, wagonload traffic was reducing rapidly and transferring to airbraked stock, and the move towards a reduction of smaller motive power was well underway.

In hindsight, I should have bought a basic 35mm SLR and a few rolls of film, with money put aside for processing... I would still be looking at the photos, whereas I haven’t played a guitar for over a quarter of a century!

The folly of youth, eh?

• Like 2

...The folly of youth, eh?

Surely freezing your bits off on an overnight at Doncaster station armed with a cheap East German camera counts as the folly of youth.

Just be thankful that the internet has provided a home and appreciative audience for all these foolish fotos. 

• RMweb Gold

I expect these two at Leicester would also have been to/from Croft, as that was a big source of ballast back then. Having said that, I'm not sure why a loaded ballast from Croft would be coming south (i.e. towards Croft).

I'm not sure why a loaded ballast from Croft would be coming south (i.e. towards Croft).

The Train could have come from Mount sorrel as quoted or from Loughborough yard  as Nuneaton Crews took trains to the yard there it was like the later virtual Quarry idea.Though the colour of the ballast makes Me think it is from Mount sorrel.25 058 at Loughborough goods line awaiting to back in the yard .2nd picture a young Dave Smith being allowed to Drive(totally unofficial of course )!!!  

post-12-0-62898900-1547567935_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-65186100-1547568675_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davidjsmith
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

5th November 1983, the WCML is blocked due to an engineering possession, and WCML services are being dragged Crewe-Preston, via Stockport, Ashburys, Man Vic & Bolton.

Here, an unidentified 25 is seen stabled in the classic loco stabling point in Manchester Victoria. Can anyone id the loco?

45841564835_63d03a60b0_c.jpg

• Like 11

5th November 1983, the WCML is blocked due to an engineering possession, and WCML services are being dragged Crewe-Preston, via Stockport, Ashburys, Man Vic & Bolton.

Here, an unidentified 25 is seen stabled in the classic loco stabling point in Manchester Victoria. Can anyone id the loco?

A search on Flickr shows 25226 was there that day, could that be the one?

cheers

• RMweb Gold

I take it you mean this one? Not in quite the same position, but being station pilot it could well have moved, and it does look like there's a driver in the cab in my photo.

My photo would have been taken sometime around late morning, 11am-ish. The light is quite dull in mine, the other has sunlight and has a morning feel to it. Number is in the right position, some evidence of the same bodyside marks and dents-226 is very plausible. Thanks.

https://flic.kr/p/PRHwjR

Edited by rodent279