Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

Not announced at the press event but shown on Hornby's website is a re-tooled Terrier.

More details to follow.

New Hornby ‘Terrier’ Breaks Cover

In a surprise announcement and only a few short weeks since the 2019 new Hornby range was shown to the UK Model Press, the once more Margate based company has released news of a brand newly tooled model of the much loved Stroudley Terrier on the first day of their 2019 range launch.

Initially there will be six new Stroudley Terriers each in an individual livery spanning many of the periods that these diminutive locomotives ran. The newly tooled model will include a host of separately fitted detail as well as features specific to the livery and variant.

Asked why the Terrier had been kept under wraps until the official launch of the 2019 range, Simon Kohler, the long term Hornby veteran explained, ‘There have been plans to re-tool the ‘Terrier’ even before I left on my three year walkabout and on my return I made it a priority. We had decided on a 2020 launch but on hearing that there were plans for the same model to be produced elsewhere and for it only to be available through limited outlets we decided to bring our plans forward.  Luckily we had already completed much of the work so it was purely down to having steel cut and models produced.’

Asked when availability will be Simon explained that approved models will be on display from day one of the product previews (7th January) with shipments to the UK commencing prior to Chinese New Year, meaning that they will be available in February. 

Simon continued, ‘These will be the first three variants with a second three appearing in the shops during April.’

Asked why Hornby had kept the release under wraps Simon smiled and said, ‘I like surprises, don’t you?’

Product Details:
R3767 BR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 32655 - Era 4
R3767X BR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 32655 - Era 4
R3768 BR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 32636 - Era 5
R3768X BR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 32636 - Era 5
R3780 LB&SCR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 655 'Stepney' - Era 2
R3780X LB&SCR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 655 'Stepney' - Era 2
R3781 K&ESR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, No. 5 'Rolvenden' - Era 2
R3781X K&ESR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, No. 5 'Rolvenden' - Era 2
R3782 SE&CR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 751 - Era 2
R3782X SE&CR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 751 - Era 2
R3783 SR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 2662 - Era 3
R3783X SR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 2662 - Era 3

655.jpg

751.jpg

2662.jpg

32636.jpg

32655.jpg

Rolvenden.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hmm. Not sure about this. We will have to see how both this and the Rails/Dapol one turn out. Will one or other manufacturer bottle it, or will we get duplication wars again...?

Well I now won't be pre-ordering either, but will wait to see which one is better!

An important model to retain in the Hornby lineup though.

EDIT: now the pictures have loaded - it does look delightful and will be hard to better.

55 Stepney as preserved please...!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

Surprised Hornby went ahead with this, after the duplication caused with the Adams Radial. What IS it about 19th century tank engines???

I wonder if they were too far into development to stop after the rails announcement, and maybe their main aim is to get it out before them? 

• Like 1

Hmm. Not sure about this. We will have to see how both this and the Rails/Dapol one turn out. Will one or other manufacturer bottle it, or will we get duplication wars again...?

If they're due here in a few weeks - Andy's post says that the first 3 variations will be in the shops in February and the other 3 in April - it certainly won't be Hornby pulling out, they must be nearly on a ship by now!

Edited by dcroz

Surprising announcement...However I've heard many O gaugers and N gaugers complain about the inaccuracies in their Terriers and Dapol tell us that the OO gauge one would benefit from the R&D of those two.

So I'm with Hornby on this one.

Best of luck to Hornby. Hope they sell well.

Price not stated on here, but from Hornby's website, it appears to be £89.99! Well done on getting a NEW loco to market for under £100 (as per the Peckett)

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/br-terrier-0-6-0t-32655-era-4.html

Compared to £140 for Dapol/Rails. The later will have to be MUCH better to justify £50 more!

Rails is £140 for the DCC Fitted version. It's £110 for the DCC Ready one. I had to double check myself! 

Edited by Fireline

Interesting in view of the Rails announcement. The advantage of the Terrier over something like the Radial or the 1361 is that the prototype was numerous and it's very popular. All that gives me pause is the fact that there is so much livery duplication between the two offerings.

..... The advantage of the Terrier over something like the Radial or the 1361 is that the prototype was numerous .........

Depends on your definition of 'numerous' the 1361 was certainly numerically challenged but of the fifty Terriers built quite a few had gone long before grouping and many more had been scrapped before nationalisation. On the other hand 71 Adams radials ( 0415 ) were built and they only really started disappearing shortly before grouping - though withdrawal was almost complete well before 1948. 

Where the Terriers win - hands down - in the numerous stakes is in livery options.

• Like 1

I wonder if they were too far into development to stop after the rails announcement, and maybe their main aim is to get it out before them? 

Doubtful.  The quote above in the announcement indicates no tooling had been done when the Rails/Dapol version was announced and it is the tooling that is the expensive bit.

It might be a reaction to what Dapol did with the large prairie based on speculation on here at the time of the Dapol large prairie announcement.

Looking at both makes of small tank locos in recent times, Hornby's will have more weight while Dapol's will be easier to fit DCC sound.

Mind you the appearence of a 6 pin chip in their range will help.

Glad Hattons had a sale as it postponed my 2 deposits I planned for Rails versions.

Note: Rails do outside condensor pipes which does not appear on the Hornby ones.