Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

On 11/03/2019 at 15:46, JSpencer said:

Now I am surprised to see you say the new cannot run as slow as the old - though maybe it is early days and the new is not run in yet. It is a safe bet that the Rails version will use the same design of drive as the Dapol B4 was is almost unbeatable for slowness. 

Now run in and much better. I should have realised - the running characteristics of the new terrier are almost identical to those of the M7. 

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, andyram said:

Spot the difference publicity shot v final model

r3768_terrier-late-br_2_2.jpg.2832238a3afa7b1feccaf9b0fc635f67.jpgIMG_4113.JPG.964977afe9f968a47eeff90f59e54ee6.JPG

The dome on your picture looks to have a very slight taper to it - is it a separate item or is it integral with the boiler?  (could just be teh angle of the camera of course).  the gloss finish of some areas has also gone but perhaps no bad thing and of course the copper chimney capping has also gone.

41 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The dome on your picture looks to have a very slight taper to it - is it a separate item or is it integral with the boiler?  (could just be teh angle of the camera of course).  the gloss finish of some areas has also gone but perhaps no bad thing and of course the copper chimney capping has also gone.

Not what I was referring to.

16 hours ago, Forester said:

Silver coupling rods!  

We're back to the 1970s.

Has anyone ever seen a silver coupling rod?

Newly milled? Polished for a museum?  Stewarts Lane couldn't make them look silver.

They didn't even chrome plate a set for 45552.

Why?

It's not even half as bad as you make it out to seem. You're probably looking at what's quite obviously CAD renderings.

The production models do have silver coupling rods but they aren't anywhere near as hideous as you paint them out to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The CAD rendering shows a brass capped chimney.

The production model doesn't have it.

Spot on. Already caused me some issues with customers who saw the production pics and assumed the model would have have the brass cap chimney.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Lack of chimney adornment to my mind is no bad thing. 

On receipt of any new model, I like many, begin the process of "weathering" by varying degrees to represent an authentic working example. Personally, a shiny, out of the box condition model, be it locomotive, coach or wagon, once on the track has more visual detraction than some minor imperfection.

This is not to suggest weathering should compensate for inaccuracies in the manufacturing process. A good many people are perfectly happy with the condition of their models as purchased and would not wish to risk alterations of any kind. 

Having now seen a new Hornby model A1X in the flesh alongside my H, P, M7 and E4 classes, I am happy to note there is nothing that shouts "drastic improvement required". Sure, protective bars on the rear cab windows would have been nice, as would an optional spark arrestor for possible Hayling Island modellers; perhaps these details might be taken on board in the Dapols/Rails model.

One speculates, would the new Hornby model have come under such close scrutiny followed by the furore fueled by the James May TV programme if there had never been the forthcoming Dapol/Rails version in the offing? For its price, the Hornby model has very few niggles and those that have been noted would probably been accepted as a costing factor.

For people on a budget the Hornby model represents exceedingly good value.

We can now look forward to the release of the Dapol/Rails locomotive which hopefully will bring some pleasant surprises, maybe even a reduction in price!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Hi All.

It looks very nice to me.

I have seen these in the flesh and they look very good. I think that my local supplier has virtually sold out of the first one.

I note that the second black BR one and the Kent and East Sussex one are due next week, the latter of which I have ordered. 

As a matter of interest, can anyone who has a Southern Electric layout with the Peco third rail fitted tried a new Terrier on their layout and does the brake gear rodding foul the third rail ? The old Dapol/Hornby one used to ride on the conductor rail which was a pain.

All the best

Ray

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

As a matter of interest, can anyone who has a Southern Electric layout with the Peco third rail fitted tried a new Terrier on their layout and does the brake gear rodding foul the third rail ? The old Dapol/Hornby one used to ride on the conductor rail which was a pain.

Hi Ray, conductor rail clearance is no problem; see quick iPhone photo.

image1_1552828259383.jpeg

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

So what were you referring to Andy - clearly not the chimney as I mentioned it.

Yes the brass chimney is missing. My apologies for not reading your post carefully enough.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

Well the lack of copper chimnies is not inaccurate to the BR examples as all coloured pics of 32636 and 32655 don't have them so I don't think it's an issue.

Perhaps not an issue in terms of what the loco portrays but it was shown on the sample image and the production b version is different from the sample.  That I think is the point made by Andyram - that the sample image gave an impression of what could be expected (which might have influenced some purchasers?) but what was delivered did not match the sample, even if it was correct.  

If a shop had received advance orders on the basis of the sample image from folk who didn't know the real engine in that livery and condition then they might well have been sufficiently disappointed to cancel their order.

14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Perhaps not an issue in terms of what the loco portrays but it was shown on the sample image and the production b version is different from the sample.  That I think is the point made by Andyram - that the sample image gave an impression of what could be expected (which might have influenced some purchasers?) but what was delivered did not match the sample, even if it was correct.  

If a shop had received advance orders on the basis of the sample image from folk who didn't know the real engine in that livery and condition then they might well have been sufficiently disappointed to cancel their order.

What's illustrated is probably a livery sample - a 'proof' of the painting, printing and lining. None of the metal parts on the model have been chemically treated (buffers, rods, wheels and chimney cap). I don't recall any BR 'Terrier' having a copper chimney cap anyway. (CJL)

• Agree 2

The top image in Andyram's post is a CAD render of the model which shows how it should look.

They are  quite old as at the time of announcement the renders were shown yet at the retailers launch last year as shown in the recent BBC program they had fully finished models on display. Plus theres the error on the copper cap which suggest they are older

• Agree 1

In response to the comments above, it is absolutely the point I am making. I am not suggesting the missing copper cap is inaccurate. However it is shown in all the Hornby publicity materials and is also depicted on the box picture for 32636. These were the images that us retailers had to rely on until the examples arrived in stock. Sadly, one of my customers was influenced by these images and is now returning the loco because he wanted a copper capped chimney version.

When the loco arrived in stock I did put updated pictures on the shop’s Facebook page and website. These clearly show the correct version. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, andyram said:

In response to the comments above, it is absolutely the point I am making. I am not suggesting the missing copper cap is inaccurate. However it is shown in all the Hornby publicity materials and is also depicted on the box picture for 32636. These were the images that us retailers had to rely on until the examples arrived in stock. Sadly, one of my customers was influenced by these images and is now returning the loco because he wanted a copper capped chimney version.

When the loco arrived in stock I did put updated pictures on the shop’s Facebook page and website. These clearly show the correct version. 

Out of curiosity, what's the name of your shop?

Cheers!

6 hours ago, andyram said:

Well, there's irony for you.

I am sorry that this has cost you a sale, because I'm sure you personally didn't deserve this visit from the karma police.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Out of curiosity, what's the name of your shop?

Cheers!

A2B Model Railways 

14 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Well, there's irony for you.

I am sorry that this has cost you a sale, because I'm sure you personally didn't deserve this visit from the karma police.  

I am not sure of the meaning of the comment.

My original post  regarding the missing chimney banding were as a result of the issue with the customer.

Thankfully it has not cost me a sale, he will be exchanging the loco for the KESR version providing the blue one has the copper cap as shown in all of the publicity shots including the latest picture that shows the full range. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, andyram said:

Thankfully it has not cost me a sale, he will be exchanging the loco for the KESR version providing the blue one has the copper cap as shown in all of the publicity shots including the latest picture that shows the full range. 

That shot still seems to show the SR one with black tank fronts and cab front, unless that is just the lighting? Presumably it is the same livery sample as earlier, I would hope that is going to be corrected.... 

Edit: not sure it should have a gold chimney cap either...? At least this one doesn't seem to have one post-25253-0-63193500-1440620349.jpg

Edited by GreenGiraffe22