Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Is there any known difference between the standard boxhill available from rails and the NRM special? The images shown by the NRM show what looks like the same model as rails have shown

Wasn´t the NRM model supposed to sport a gloss finish?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2019 at 09:26, Al51 said:

Hornby's R7150 6 pin decoder is available, I've got one fitted to my 32636. The wires are shorter than other 6 pin decoders I've fitted,  which makes it an easy and snug fit.

Derails have it here .

Al

How do you rate the performance of the Hornby R7150?

My reason for asking is because I was contemplating a Zimo MX617F but its 70mm long wires may prove difficult to tuck away in the limited space available. 

Edited by Right Away
More finger trouble!!!

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Right Away said:

How do you rate the performance of the Hornby R7150?

My reason for asking is because I was contemplating a Zimo MX617F but its 70mm long wires may prove difficult to tuck away in the limited space available. 

TBH I just fitted it and ran it on my rolling road for while to run the Terrier in. It seemed to respond well and I got a good crawling speed, but I'm no expert in these things. I was impressed about how quiet the Terrier is though.

Al

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The chimney and salter safety valves look very fine, but the crankpin ‘nuts’ would be hugely improved by making them circular.   Not a major job with a Dremel and a file.  

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, CF MRC said:

the crankpin ‘nuts’ would be hugely improved by making them circular.   Not a major job with a Dremel and a file.  

Tim

They still have to be "screwed in" when assembling.

Would a circular head with a hole to take a small hex driver or Torx look better?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

They still have to be "screwed in" when assembling.

Would a circular head with a hole to take a small hex driver or Torx look better?

Keith, I think you would have enough grip on the round head with a small pair of pliers without any ‘drive’ system e.g. hex or Torx.  The screws could be secured with a spot of Loctite as insurance.   At the same time I would draw file the coupling rods to reduce the curvature a little.   

I would be very tempted by the Hornby Stepney, to add to my colourful shelf queens. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Keith, I think you would have enough grip on the round head with a small pair of pliers without any ‘drive’ system e.g. hex or Torx.  The screws could be secured with a spot of Loctite as insurance.

Tim

Can you really see that on a production line? I can't

I think you’re talking at cross purposes, one about modding the model as a one-off and the other about production line assembly. The care, attention, and time that is given in the former hardly applies to the latter. 

• Agree 1

I received the 2 BR Livery Terriers today and both have arrived damaged. One had one its buffers completely detached from the locomotive, and the other had the tall route disc holder bent and the other missing in action. See pictures attached. Sorry for the quality a quick snap with my phone. A little bit disappointed with the quality control to say the least. 

Craig 

IMG_20190322_170337.jpg

IMG_20190322_170449.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Craig85 said:

I received the 2 BR Livery Terriers today and both have arrived damaged. One had one its buffers completely detached from the locomotive, and the other had the tall route disc holder bent and the other missing in action. See pictures attached. Sorry for the quality a quick snap with my phone. A little bit disappointed with the quality control to say the least. 

Craig 

IMG_20190322_170337.jpg

IMG_20190322_170449.jpg

How infuriating; one loco with an issue would be bad enough but both,  that's really unfortunate. I trust they will be returned.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, truffy said:

I think you’re talking at cross purposes, one about modding the model as a one-off and the other about production line assembly. The care, attention, and time that is given in the former hardly applies to the latter. 

I was talking about assembling, which I assumed would be understood as at the factory and to give a better overall appearance from new.

Someone has to screw the part in in the first place so maybe a Torx would look better that a hex head bolt, whilst still being easy to assemble.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Craig85 said:

Thanks for support. Yeah I have contacted Rails of Sheffield to arrange an exchange. I have also asked for them to check the replacements before they are dispatched. 

Craig 

It's a conspiracy I tell ya...

• Funny 3

Passing the Hornby visitor centre I popped in for lunch and made an unplanned purchase of 32655. Actually, quite a nice model captures the look well, buffers excepted although they do represent being recessed a bit just not fully. A considerable improvement over the ex Dapol model which looks much more chunky in comparison. Runs beautifully, quiet and smooth at all speeds with a realistic top speed and responds well to the controller right down to a very slow crawl.

Dscf2500.jpg.fabdcc105b0bde69f7c68a5a111673b2.jpg

Here she is with the older versions for comparison.

Dscf2505.jpg.9b0c2864dd374700085f589efcdbbb69.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I was talking about assembling, which I assumed would be understood as at the factory and to give a better overall appearance from new.

Someone has to screw the part in in the first place so maybe a Torx would look better that a hex head bolt, whilst still being easy to assemble.

I realise that. And Tim was talking about modding his own model. Hence you were talking at cross purposes.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, bigherb said:

Passing the Hornby visitor centre I popped in for lunch and made an unplanned purchase of 32655. Actually, quite a nice model captures the look well, buffers excepted although they do represent being recessed a bit just not fully. A considerable improvement over the ex Dapol model which looks much more chunky in comparison. Runs beautifully, quiet and smooth at all speeds with a realistic top speed and responds well to the controller right down to a very slow crawl.

Dscf2500.jpg.fabdcc105b0bde69f7c68a5a111673b2.jpg

Here she is with the older versions for comparison.

Dscf2505.jpg.9b0c2864dd374700085f589efcdbbb69.jpg

For me the two things that really stick out on the old model are the wheels and the Salter valves, both way too thick, otherwise it generally conveys the feel of a Terrier.

Actually along side the Hornby cousin the ex-Dapol ones look bigger overall.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1