Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

On 24/03/2019 at 14:38, Hilux5972 said:

There seems to be far more detail in Hornbys cab than the Dapol one. These two images show Hornbys cab, (images posted by 90rob who I hope won’t mind me reusing it)

B9F7338C-E137-47D2-A338-4880726E11DE.jpeg.32d3b6b068bf4cd63706e06a701f7ca9.jpeg

compared to the Locomotion Boxhill that was just detailed in an email from them. 

86552739-9167-4618-90C4-E835A6E9B637.jpeg.661e0a33b84f5d47644a872dbf68f723.jpeg

Nicely printed dials on the Dapol version, and the separately fitted glazing really tells.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I just hope that the Terrier isn't a portent of things to come and a sign of Oxford Rail-isation of Hornby. Certainly its odd that the Terrier and models like the Lord Nelson originate from the same company. Oxford Rail have picked up a reputation for being nearly right and blowing it by seemingly not being bothered about going the final mile to get it right. I just hope we aren't seeing that attitude spill over to Hornby under shared management. 

• Agree 4

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I just hope that the Terrier isn't a portent of things to come and a sign of Oxford Rail-isation of Hornby. Certainly its odd that the Terrier and models like the Lord Nelson originate from the same company. Oxford Rail have picked up a reputation for being nearly right and blowing it by seemingly not being bothered about going the final mile to get it right. I just hope we aren't seeing that attitude spill over to Hornby under shared management. 

A return to a "Design Clever" style of approach to reduce costs, reduce R&D time and speed up production maybe?

Andy.

• Like 1

I am sure that Isle of Wight examples will feature in the future, probably as soon as the 2020 range. It is not hard to see why the initial release range was selected because the liveries almost match the Rails range.

I have been impressed with the Hornby models. Yes there are some faults with it but, in my opinion, it is a big improvement on the previous model and at a decent price (at least in today’s terms). My stock has certainly been selling well.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 24/03/2019 at 10:34, No Decorum said:

It reminds me of this:

I think that is more appropriate to the 66 thread. Hattons and Hornby standing over the prone body of Bachmann.....

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I think [and hope] the Terrier shortcomings are just the result of rushing the final stages of development to score points off Rails, though whether it scores all the points Hornby wanted it to is open to debate.

The Lord Nelson was allowed a proper gestation because there was no realistic chance of duplication, Bachmann having effectively stated they had no plans even to put a new DCC-friendly chassis under theirs.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2019 at 12:36, RodneyS said:

Despite all the shortcomings I couldn't resist buying both 32636 and 32655.

On the right hand side of 32636 (looking from the cab) there is a small pipe running from the cab to the smokebox, just inside the handrail.

On 32655 this pipe is absent, leaving  a few holes.

I queried this in the shop and they looked at several others.  None of them had the pipe.

So I wondered if all the models of 32655 are missing this pipe or just the batch my local shop had received ?

Would anyone who has bought one be kind enough to satisfy my curiosity ?

Thanks

Rodney

From what I can ascertain, that pipe is evident on Westinghouse fitted locomotives only and photographs of 32655 in the '50s show her vacuum fitted. (For those who are interested, see attached diagram; the pipe mentioned would be the exhaust from the donkey's steam cylinder.)

NB The Hornby version has a "donkey" ???

image1_1553594427706.jpeg

Edited by Right Away
Duplicated word

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian J. said:

The Engine Shed blog has a picture of the output from the tools and the IoW bunker is there:

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/terriers-and-colletts

Scroll down to find it.

Interestingly, the photo showing the rear of the three different cabs shows the two with small bunkers to differ in the spacing of the spectacles.

That's something that the Rails model has received some flak for in comparison with the Hornby versions seen so far. Are both correct if one picks the right loco to portray? 

John 

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Interestingly, the photo showing the rear of the three different cabs shows the two with small bunkers to differ in the spacing of the spectacles.

That's something that the Rails model has received some flak for in comparison with the Hornby versions seen so far. Are both correct if one picks the right loco to portray? 

John 

I am tempted to see these as an optical illusion; I am not aware that the spacing of the spectacles changed.  If it did it could surely only be when mainland example's back sheets perished and were replaced, very, very late in the day, but I doubt it, and, anyway, Hornby has fitted such a (very) late condition cab rear to its Rolvenden, presumably because it has window grills (which Rolvenden did not have!). 

Dapol have the right cab backs for their choices, but have mucked up the spectacle spacing, however, yesterday Oliver at Rails confirmed that this will be corrected on the production version, so the criticism, thought perfectly reasonable and well-founded, falls away.

I expect that we will see at least one IOW version from both manufacturers at some stage.  Hornby's tooling, as you say, shows an extended bunker, whilst Dapol, I think, had this option on their 7mm models and Rails had announced from the start that their tooling would include IOW versions.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I just hope that the Terrier isn't a portent of things to come and a sign of Oxford Rail-isation of Hornby. Certainly its odd that the Terrier and models like the Lord Nelson originate from the same company...

Hornby have quite cheerfully maintained both top standard and decidedly ordinary models in their range long term.

Make a comparison of the Stanier 8F - tooled long before Oxford Rail were even thought of - and the Thompson O1, two 2-8-0 classes in the range. The 8F has a mechanism intrusion into the underboiler void, garnished with a  spinning shaft end, way worse an intrusion than on the Oxford Radial which was their first attempt at a RTR model. The wheels aren't correct pattern, the pony truck casting a crude lump, and the Stanier tender has the well known spurious valance with consequent compression of the spring and axlebox representation. Lots of 'that'll do' very much on show.  Good job the 8F is a handsome beast, to distract from the model's deficiencies. The O1 is a delight by comparison.

I would see it as quite possible that Hornby's intention for the Terrier was eye-candy at an attractive price. It doesn't all have to be 'top drawer' to sell well. Good enough, garnished with the many attractive livery variants this class can carry, at the right price, might well be the path to maximum return on investment. And that last is something Hornby needs in spades.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
clarity of expression
  • Agree 2

When IOW Terriers appear another variation on cab spectacles will need watching.

2 locos: W8 & W13 (32677 & 32646) had the front spectacles replaced with opening ones of LSWR pattern, these have a much smaller brass surround and a slightly larger window.  This was done during WW2, (possibly having blackout screens in them?)  these spectacles were retained during subsequent BR mainland use.

Both these are likely future models, W8 being a popular preserved example and W13 being the only Terrier to carry Malachite green livery.

Pete

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, IWCR said:

.... likely future models, ............. W13 being the only Terrier to carry Malachite green livery.

What makes you think malachite is likely to appear at any time in the foreseeable future ? : apart from 'wartime' black it's the only colour not announced - so far as I know - for the Hornby Nelsons or the atlantics from the other camp !

Just now, Wickham Green said:

What makes you think malachite is likely to appear at any time in the foreseeable future ? : apart from 'wartime' black it's the only colour not announced - so far as I know - for the Hornby Nelsons or the atlantics from the other camp !

Men in Malachite - March!!

Let us walk to Margate via Barwell and let those in charge know they cannot deny us our democratic right to a Malachite green Terrier, Nelson or Atlantic.

Or just wait, at some point there will be one, where there is money there is Malachite

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

13 minutes ago, Big James said:

Good signs from my local model shop. They’ve completely sold out of a lot of the versions, fair enough I missed out. But I’m still happy for my local model shop because it shows they are strong sellers. 

Big james 

Which are you missing? I may have one or two left.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Fighting my inner Gollum

"We wants it"

"But we just put a T9 and an 02 back in their boxes because we have too many Southern locos"

"But we wants it"

"And what about all those GWR locos and stock in their boxes"

"Nasty things in the wrong shade of green, they can stays in their boxes, we wants it"

"What about the Rails's version"

"That's got Orc eyes and costs more gold, we wants it, we want's it now"

• Like 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Fighting my inner Gollum

"We wants it"

"But we just put a T9 and an 02 back in their boxes because we have too many Southern locos"

"But we wants it"

"And what about all those GWR locos and stock in their boxes"

"Nasty things in the wrong shade of green, they can stays in their boxes, we wants it"

"What about the Rails's version"

"That's got Orc eyes and costs more gold, we wants it, we want's it now"

Well, thats where you're going wrong to start with. No such thing as "too many Southern locos"

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Well, thats where you're going wrong to start with. No such thing as "too many Southern locos"

I thought that too, But all those locos and 7 Maunsell coaches, 5 58 ft ex LSWR coaches and a Gate Stock is too much for my current space.

So last night 3 ex LSWR coaches and 2 locos went into their boxes - at the moment rather than unboxing items I seem to be constantly putting things in boxes - I seem to be doing the reverse of everyone else.

• Friendly/supportive 2