Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

9 hours ago, JSpencer said:

And here we are. Old Hornby (ex Dapol pig tooling) Bodiam vs new Hornby Rolvenden. Paint scheme wise the old is nearly as complex as the new.

IMG_1355.JPG

My comment about lipstick on the pig wasn't meant for the lipstick, but the pig. I don't argue that the old paint/lipstick is nearly as complex as the new.

But those chunky salter valves and, in particular, the blobby boiler valves with the pipe crudely moulded as an extension of the boiler have always been a massive disappointment. At least Hornby has improved upon those.

19 hours ago, truffy said:

My comment about lipstick on the pig wasn't meant for the lipstick, but the pig. I don't argue that the old paint/lipstick is nearly as complex as the new.

But those chunky salter valves and, in particular, the blobby boiler valves with the pipe crudely moulded as an extension of the boiler have always been a massive disappointment. At least Hornby has improved upon those.

I don't disagree, just saying a the finess of the paint job can influence the price. (though oddly not always).

Bodiam cost me £35 in the early 2000s, yet last year these things ask for twice that new. That can only be put down to paint finish as indeed there are fewer details.

Anyway, here are some pics comparing the new terrier to a P and B4 class.

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

• Like 7

"Can only be put down to paint finish." Not necessarily - costs of repair, refurbishment or replacement of damaged/worn out tools, adaptation of tools to fit different equipment, cost of recovering tools from one factory to another, increased cost of bought-in parts such as motors etc, or maybe just the need to make a better margin than in the past. (CJL)

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2019 at 20:01, brushman47544 said:

But the new coupling on the other hand creates a greater gap to the wagon/coach than the older, wider, one.

Try the Bachmann 36-061 short straight coupler; might close the gap up a bit. I use these couplers and where necessary on certain vehicles, shorten the socket by 1 - 2mm to bring the buffers even closer. However, my ruling curvature radii is 48" minimum and this method would not suit all.

• Agree 1

On 13/04/2019 at 12:37, JSpencer said:

And here we are. Old Hornby (ex Dapol pig tooling) Bodiam vs new Hornby Rolvenden. Paint scheme wise the old is nearly as complex as the new.

On 13/04/2019 at 12:37, JSpencer said:

Some picks comparing old Bodiam with new Rolvenden. Clearly the two cannot be side by side on a layout without feeling you are looking at 2 different classes. A great improvement but maybe rushed and not entirely thought through.

IMG_1354.JPG

A pig in lipstick, quite possibly, but I think this shows how the old Dapol/Hornby version was the ultimate Sow's Ear, with which nothing could be done.  Apart from being an A1/A1X hybrid, it's fundamentally dimensionally wrong, in just about every direction!

Unsuprisingly, a 2019 model outstrips a 1989 model in every way. That said, the buffer guides/mounts on the older model are more prototypical.  Further, the deeper valance looks more representative of the prototype than the shallow valance of the new model.  Finally, I'd say the size and shape of the old splasher/sandbox unit is more representative of the prototype than the modern version.

I predict that we'll end up with a 5 out of 10 version, a 7 out of 10 version and a 9 out of 10 version!

At current list prices, the 5 out of 10 version is not good value for money, but the others probably are/will be.

• Like 2

On 12/04/2019 at 19:50, JSpencer said:

I have heard from good sources that another SECR D/Elightful locomotive has a strong probability of appearing from Hornby within the next couple of years.

....... followed by a D/E1ightful loco with any luck ! ( Hopefully the rivet counters won't detect the 1/8'' wheelbase discrepancy if they use the same chassis ! )

Interestingly, the help sheet supplied with the loco has 2 title mentioning DCC Sound twice in bold letters.

One compliments it with a phrase "see your local dealer...". The other with a drawing showing plain 6-pin DCC fitting. So idea whether or not it is suitable for sound from the instructions.

Maybe they wanted to in the put a speaker in the bunker and in the end could not.

14 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Interestingly, the help sheet supplied with the loco has 2 title mentioning DCC Sound twice in bold letters.

One compliments it with a phrase "see your local dealer...". The other with a drawing showing plain 6-pin DCC fitting. So idea whether or not it is suitable for sound from the instructions.

Maybe they wanted to in the put a speaker in the bunker and in the end could not.

I am intrigued by this, because,of course, there was a whole segment on the May programme about clandestine recording.  Is there anywhere you could put a speaker?

9 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Perhaps they intended to provide it with a sound van, in a similar manner to the extra pickup flat wagon for the Ruston?

Then someone with a bit of sense told whoever proposed it not to be a silly buqqer.  And the van became the mk2 independent sound van, with noises off...

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 20:01, brushman47544 said:

But the new coupling on the other hand creates a greater gap to the wagon/coach than the older, wider, one.

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 22:24, Right Away said:

Try the Bachmann 36-061 short straight coupler; might close the gap up a bit. I use these couplers and where necessary on certain vehicles, shorten the socket by 1 - 2mm to bring the buffers even closer. However, my ruling curvature radii is 48" minimum and this method would not suit all.

Definitely a way forward. I feel this is an underexploited aspect of the NEM coupler pocket: it is very easy to adjust RTR coupler positioning to whatever best suits your own layout. And it is fully reversible, a new pocket and coupler to replace those that have been trimmed down, and it is 'back to square one'.

Short wheelbase wagons and short locos can have the coupler trimmed so that the face of the bumper bar is in the same plane as the buffer heads. A train buffers up when pushed, opens out to about 2mm between buffer heads when pulled if using the Bachmann pattern coupler, will work down to 24" radius with full protection against buffer locking. There is a restriction in function: as the radius goes below about 36", vehicles on curves progressively fail to reliably autocouple, and uncoupling by lifting the hooks is not possible as at least one hook is positively latched under the bumper bar.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, andyram said:

On the subject of DCC Sound. Part of the BBC4 Hornby documentary featured the recording of a Terrier on the KESR. As a result I am sure a sound fitted version is planned for the future.

Is that based upon knowledge or speculation?

I ask as you are in the trade and might actually know.

The fact of the recording suggests that there were certainly plans to do sound, but I have not seen this announced, and, as we've seen, it's easy to drop things when you're in a rush. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

The fact of the recording suggests that there were certainly plans to do sound, but I have not seen this announced, and, as we've seen, it's easy to drop things when you're in a rush. 

Chris Leigh's review of the K&ESR version in the May edition of 'Model Rail' refers to the easily accessible DCC socket but goes on to say ... '(but) there is no obvious provision for sound installation.'  And the photo of the mechanism inside a 'ghosted' view of the loco body indicates there wouldn't be much room for a speaker anyway (although perhaps there might be space for a small one in the bunker or smokebox?).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes. but I think people are contrasting that with the fact that a) Hornby recorded the sound of the Terrier specifically for this model (and got the TV cameras to film them doing it) and b) the service sheets talk about sound fitted models.

Now it could be that at a late stage in production it was decided there was no possibility of sound, or it could be something Hornby are keeping up their sleeve.

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

Now it could be that at a late stage in production it was decided there was no possibility of sound, or it could be something Hornby are keeping up their sleeve.

Or it could've been dropped in the rush to be first to market. After all, why bother doing something properly when you can do it first? :tease:

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, AJ'S said:

You can fit sound I just copied the installation on the YouChoose website. It's tight but completed it with no problems.

Indeed without the heavy rework, I ,m not convinced this model is designed for sound. Coal cannot by removed from the bunker (as far as I can tell) no space to run wires either.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I have no insider knowledge but, as have been stated above, the documentary featured sound recording and the paperwork relates to sound fitting. I am predicting a DCC sound fitted version in 2020.

10 hours ago, andyram said:

I have no insider knowledge but, as have been stated above, the documentary featured sound recording and the paperwork relates to sound fitting. I am predicting a DCC sound fitted version in 2020.

Understood

Nostradamus_by_Cesar.jpg.0309d00768403846e6d8804f4b18103f.jpg

• Funny 2

Out of interest, has anyone tried to remove the numbering on the SR Green version? Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to do it. Yes I did just also ask this on the H2 thread. :P

If they do release a sound decoder for the terrier I cant see where the large TTS decoder will fit let alone the speaker unless they plan to do a smaller 6 pin TTS chip.

Or it may just be a stand alone TTS decoder release and you need to figure out how to fit it / make the space yourself much like the 08 one.

I think of they do release it stand alone it may sell well to owners of dapols 0 gauge terrier

• Agree 1

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:32, meatloaf said:

If they do release a sound decoder for the terrier I cant see where the large TTS decoder will fit let alone the speaker unless they plan to do a smaller 6 pin TTS chip.

Or it may just be a stand alone TTS decoder release and you need to figure out how to fit it / make the space yourself much like the 08 one.

I think of they do release it stand alone it may sell well to owners of dapols 0 gauge terrier

It would have to be a TTS chip with speaker built in to fit in the DCC space provided on this model.

That said, I could have said the same about Oxfordrails Adams radial when it was first released as there was no room for a DCC sound chip, let alone speaker. However some very clever but minor retooling did allow them  to release sound fitted versions.

With the Terrier, I have not found an easy way to get into the coal space without dismantly the cab from the running plate. The coal being totally un-removable - at least on my Rolvenden. If you can get inside the bunker, I'm not sure what we would find.