Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
On 08/07/2020 at 21:22, Paul.Uni said:

R3845 & R3845X LBSCR 40 Brighton now also in stock on the Hornby website.

I’d be grateful if someone would explain the improvements made with these latest releases...If in fact there are any.

Thanks,Ian.

• Agree 1

Hi Ian.

On the previous two issues and on these new ones the tops of the tanks have been re-tooled and now show a slight step where the cladding is attached to the tanks. The guard irons at each end have also been altered so that they now have a smoother shape. The originals were quite severely kinked , excessively, which I think was done to allow the sand pipes on the original condition types to fit in the right position at the front end.  The thing that was not done, although may have been done for the latest models, is to have the buffers recessed slightly into the buffer beams. Something which I would have thought to be the most obvious and important correction required.

All the best

Ray

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Anyone have the LSWR one?  Finish ok?

im wondering the same, i love the livery but can't bring my self to purchase yet. i have cowes and fitted a stay alive, makes it a lovely slow runner, i'd want to do the same again

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I am contemplating purchasing one of these.

Could you advise precisely what the query is. Are the colours wrong, or is it the application ?

Many thanks

Ray

Hi Ray,

It was just one of those "thinking of getting one"  has anyone got one? sort of queries. Don't think there's anything wrong specifically with livery, dare say they will run as well as other terriers, but sometimes people say one batch is better than another.

Cheerfully admitting my ignorance here.

A number of Terriers were acquired for use in munitions work, either in factories or at Admiralty bases in about 1917. Which of the liveries offered by Hornby would be most appropriate - if any?

Got my hands on Carisbrooke in the transitional Malachite Green livery and Bembridge in the Olive Green. 

The livery application is fantastic and they run brilliantly straight out of the box.

I must say I'm very impressed!

IMG_6430.jpg.34e618a14007543359f01c68ee00cab9.jpg

Edited by LBSC123
  • Like 6

Normally club models are cheaper than the main RTR variants but this one has the same RRP.

Nice but I'm rather Terriered out at the moment even it its a really good excuse to have LBSCR livery loco running in BR steam days.

14 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Normally club models are cheaper than the main RTR variants but this one has the same RRP.

Nice but I'm rather Terriered out at the moment even it its a really good excuse to have LBSCR livery loco running in BR steam days.

£10 cheaper than RRP.

It's £84.99. The rest of the latest batch are £94.99.

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I have never been one to get a membership just cause of a loco I wanted...So I now have a Hornby membership cause I have honestly been waiting for an A1x in IEG since they announced the new terrier, it was only going to be Brighton Works or Stepney in preservation, which ever came first, and BW came first. Granted, still am very likely to pick up A1x Stepney in preservation IEG, wink wink nudge nudge Hornby.

Stepney in Preserved condition. IEG livery.

There are at least two versions of the real loco.

Early on  the number, 55, was painted on the bunker sides. 
(The number was also painted on the bunker sides when Stepney was placed on the duplicate list in 1901 as number 655.)

Later, replica cast number plates were fitted.

My modified Dapol OO Gauge model...

519C8D14-0E56-4DFA-B97D-985948CB6850.jpeg.f432a0130dafd3126671684fc2fd491f.jpeg11AB0B59-6E13-4D3A-8E6B-284261BEB792.jpeg.a79e4d8fafa7829cf89e8162b2db7f16.jpeg

A1X condition, vacuum brakes only.

No Westinghouse pump.

The Hayling Island branch, where Stepney last worked, used vacuum braked coaches.

Some information here...

https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/stepney.html

Stepney was painted black, lined with red, when first preserved C1960..and 50 years later...

5C206498-DD4C-4133-91C4-B78013F13099.jpeg.2cc62652c8424eb260ce7aece4c8653f.jpeg

James Petts from London, England / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)

In IEG, with painted number. 1964. Was in IEG in 1961 as seen in another photo.

F1EF2126-47F5-472F-A77F-6A1A346C212B.jpeg.57caa25d1c78a8840d2e13fd166dbbb3.jpeg

Ben Brooksbank / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)

With cast number plate. 2003.

11741943-84B3-45F3-9666-BDE7ED440F51.jpeg.3175bb1924ee1c813d94d07809a31e9b.jpeg

Jdrewitt / CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)

Stepney was painted as Brighton Works shunter. Seen in a photo taken in 2003 with cast number plate 55...also as DS 377, 1980s?

http://haylingbillyheritage.org/billy-preserved/stepney-on-the-bluebell-railway-as-the-brighton-works-shunting-locomotive-2/

C76C7245-BCB9-46C9-8213-0D3022A833B6.jpeg.d9d93d73636091449e43cbb5ea1e17b9.jpeg

Bluebellnutter at English Wikipedia / CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)

Edited by Sarahagain
Typo
  • Like 2

Reading through Hornby's article about Brighton Works I'm amazed it wasn't saved for preservation, what a shame. I'd love Brighton Works in 1947 condition! A couples years late for my modelling era but who cares. Being Brighton born and bred I've always had a soft spot for it despite it being gone long before I was born. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Don't forget that there was also the Paris 1878 Gold Medal winning Terrier...

Named Brighton...

IMG_20200801_134947.jpg.c21699b10ebb086eb73384d09ff96f86.jpg

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lb-scr-terrier-0-6-0t-40-brighton-era-2-ba5bcc.html

(Also made from the ex Dapol OO tooling as a limited edition, so there are two Hornby models of Brighton...as for many terriers...)

This loco was sold by the LBSCR to the Isle of Wight Central Railway in 1902.

Later it became part of the Southern Railway, and later British Railways.

BR sold the loco, by now named Newport, to Butlins Holiday Camps in 1964, and it was displayed at Pwllheli.

Butlins later, in 1972, loaned the loco to the Isle of Wight steam railway, who purchased it four years later.

So, this loco still exists...

Edited by Sarahagain
more added
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Reading through Hornby's article about Brighton Works I'm amazed it wasn't saved for preservation, what a shame. I'd love Brighton Works in 1947 condition! A couples years late for my modelling era but who cares. Being Brighton born and bred I've always had a soft spot for it despite it being gone long before I was born. 

Money pure and simple. I'm sure if the early preservationists had more money available then they would have tried to save more.

Terriers and the SECR Ps had a good survival rate due to them being pretty cheap compared to other locomotives. Most of the other small, early locomotives had already gone. BR sold them by the ton as scrap, so a 28 ton Terrier was a lot cheaper than something like a 50 Ton 57XX or Jinty. Or classes like E4s, E5s, M7s and O2 which places like the Bluebell really wanted if they were to run passenger trains.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 26/07/2020 at 14:24, railroadbill said:

Anyone have the LSWR one?  Finish ok?

LSWR Terrier on my Broadtemple layout.  
Looks as if someone in the Wagon Shop got news of the forthcoming Grouping and jumped the gun with a wagon logo!

0A925632-9D54-498D-B8D3-7B23097B1598.jpeg

Edited by barrymx5
Correction
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1